Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
rlsbls

suburban hot water heater question

I bought a 2012 244 5th wheel cougar in April of this year. Since day one when operating the water heater the pressure relief valve will push enough water out to fill the bottom of the tray and run water out and down the side of the trailer. This is my first rv but after talking to others that have rv's they do not have this problem. This doesn't seem normal to me. I have been working with the dealer and have gone through the proper precedures, per the manual, in adding a air pocket to the top of the heater. This will work stop the leaking for a short time but after using the hot water it leaks out of the relief valve again. The dealer gave me a new TP valve and I replaced it .
Same problem. I can understand a drip or weeping out of the relief valve at times but this is much more. I am hoping someone here can help. Thank you in advance for your replys.
rlsbls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you are on city water, are you using a pressure regulator? and are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere in the hot water heater that is allowing the air to be forced out? Maybe the pressure relief valve is not in tight enough (seems unlikely since there were two installed)

and finally, are you sure it's the pressure relief valve that's leaking and not the anode rod, the electric element or the tank where the burner tube goes through??? You may have one of the "freaks" that leaks from a defective tank weld, etc.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
cmssorrell

Mine is doing the same thing and now it will not work on the electric side. It will operate with gas for approx. 8 hours and then the light comes on and I have to reset it. Looks like a trip to the dealer.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
rlsbls

I don't believe there are any other leaks other than the relief valve. I watch the relief valve as it comes up to temperature and it definately pushs water out of the valve. This happens whether on city water or pulling from the fresh water tank. Once the relief valve pushs water out the leaks stop for a time. We have been shutting the water heater off when not in use and sometimes when we start it back up it will leak and then sometimes it doesnt. Since I recently retired and this is our first summer with the trailer I dont want to tie it up at the dealer right now. I guess I will return to the dealer later and hopefully they can fix the problem. Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

Two things to think about.The pressure relief valve will open under high pressure ie from city water without a pressure regulator or the temp is set too high the water gets too hot this builds excess pressure and opens the valve or third they are defective batch of valves. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
flintknapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Two things to think about.The pressure relief valve will open under high pressure ie from city water without a pressure regulator or the temp is set too high the water gets too hot this builds excess pressure and opens the valve or third they are defective batch of valves. good luck
^^^^^^^

Agree with all three scenarios.
flintknapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Just another thought to add to what Barney said earlier, if the electric thermostat is not "securely attached" to the tank, it will not sense the actual temperature and may allow the element to continue heating water until it is "overtemp" which will cause a higher pressure and may cause the leak. The troubleshooting steps in the owner's manual suggest checking for "proper installation of the thermostat"

Just a thought.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
rlsbls

water heater problem fixed

I just got my trailer back from the dealer. They checked everything out and determined that it had to be a bad Pt valve. Replaced valve again and no leaks. I ran heater and hot water until heater kicked on and all is working fine. Who would have thought that there was two bad relief valves. Thanks all for the replys.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
smiller

The seepage is normal (well, according to Suburban at least) and only happens under certain temperature/pressure conditions, and this is what I experience... sometimes mine seems to seep constantly and other times (most of the time) it doesn't. My guess is that you didn't have multiple bad valves in a row nor will the newest valve completely cure the problem, I'd wager that you'll still experience the weeping from time to time.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Cool Canuck

Weeping is normal according to the instruction manuals. It has nothing to do with city water pressure or anything like that. The water system in an RV is a closed system unlike your city water supply. There is a 'check valve' at the water connection and once in, the water cannot leave. There is suppose to be an airspace in the water heater to take of the expansion when you heat the water. This airspace dissolves into the water over time and becomes unable to handle the increased heated water volume. The pressure relief valve does its thing by allowing the excess water to escape before things burst. Your instruction manual will tell you how to replenish the airspace.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote