Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
SQLShaw

New to Alpine

My wife and I just bought a Alpine 3555 RL and so far we love the rig. There was only a few questions that I am still working around, but my biggest one is: I have been told by a few people, but I am just floored at this. Is there no owner's manual for these? I have all the appliances and such. But nothing on the rig itself, things like slide maintenance, hooking up satellite, or even something as simple as here is the location of the light switches.

Thanks,
--SQLShaw
SQLShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
therink

I believe you are correct. Mine did come with a Keystone non-model specific manual. The manual contained more warning disclaimers than any helpful information. I had to figure it all myself. Good luck with the new Alpine.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
SQLShaw

Thanks for the answer Steve. We just sold our 2008 Outback. We were happy with it, but just wanted something we could go full time in.
SQLShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
cathcartww

You can download the generic Keystone O&M from the Keystone web site, but as said, it really doesn't have much specific information.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
sandy43

Generic manual from Keystone is what you get. You can get tons of info from this forum reference just about anything pertaining to your Alpine. You got a really good unit and I wouldn't trade mine for most others out there. Got a question, ask it. Someone will answer it the best they can, might even throw a little BS on the side.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

SQLShaw -
The previous posters are quite right. Keystone does not provide Owner's Manuals that are specific to each and every model. If you have a 2013 Alpine and I have a 2013 Cougar, the manuals are identical. You should have received most of the manuals for the fridge, stove, furnace, A/C, and other similar items. Any other missing manuals, you will have to download from the manufacturer's websites.

Hooking up the satellite? There are too many posts and threads to mention about this topic. Some have figured it out at the get go. Some have asked here and finally got it to work after considerable help from fellow members. Others are still tearing their hair out if they have any left! What can I tell you to make you feel better? How about "Don't sweat the small stuff?" Not a good idea?

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Keystone. And don't believe Sandy's BS comment. We are an extremely focused and helpful group and if you do a forum search, you will not find any "BS".
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
azlee56

awwe darn Festus, I like the joking around on here (I think that is what Sandy means as BS). As far as answers if they know it, oh yeah they are quite good on here. I was wondering the other day if most had gone through these problems and got them worked out and that is where they got their wisdom!? Gladly they share it though.
azlee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
geo

SQLShaw -

Drop down to the "Repairs and Maintenance" section and ask the question, "How do I lubricated the tank valve seals?"!

Nope, no BS there!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

SQLShaw -
Please ignore Geo's above post. He's just trying to stir the "pot" and besides, he has spent far too much time poking around in his Alpine underbelly and has, I firmly believe, become overcome with noxious gases leaking from a faulty tank valve seal. He hasn't been making much sense of late.

Warning: If you do ask that question, you could receive an infraction or a temporary ban from at least one of the forum Moderators.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Jim_VaBeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQLShaw View Post
My wife and I just bought a Alpine 3555 RL and so far we love the rig. There was only a few questions that I am still working around, but my biggest one is: I have been told by a few people, but I am just floored at this. Is there no owner's manual for these? I have all the appliances and such. But nothing on the rig itself, things like slide maintenance, hooking up satellite, or even something as simple as here is the location of the light switches.

Thanks,
--SQLShaw
We have a 2011 alpine 3555 RL . Awesome floor plan, we love it
Jim_VaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
sandy43

Festus, sorry about the BS statement. All done in humor. Comic relief is what I call it.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
hankaye

Howdy All;

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
SQLShaw -

Drop down to the "Repairs and Maintenance" section and ask the question, "How do I lubricated the tank valve seals?"!

Nope, no BS there!

Ron
Hard enough for me to fit in the tiny 'room with no view', let alone tryin' to stuff a bovine in there !!!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
geo

Aw! Just having a bit of fun!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
billstuart

We have a 2012 Alpine 3555RL and love it, too. Like you, I was shocked to discover that the owner's manual is an almost useless generic POS.

I have one tip for you that probably applies to all or most RL models. When extenting or retracting your slides, be sure your recliners are properly stowed. The slides barely clear them and if one of them catches on a moving slide you can do some damage if you don't realize it's caught and you keep the slide moving. I usually visually verify proper clearance while my DW operates the switch. Our dealer's service manager also mentioned that they've seen cabinets torn out because an open cabinet door caught on a moving slide. A quick look as soon as you can get to the rear of the rig and when you begin to retract could save you a pile of cash and a pain in the keester.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #15
SQLShaw

Thanks everyone for the tips. We are facing a few challenges, but I think we can work through them. I have to admit that I am really surprised that with the investment that is made into these rigs that there isn't an owners manual. the only motivation I can see around not doing one is the cost. But it is what it is.

I was also surprised that the forum moderators jumped in on the discussion, I am not sure what I said or someone else said that might have flagged this thread. I found the welcome from everyone to be awesome, and I even think that I understood the humor in the replies. Maybe there is something there I missed, but no matter. Hope everyone has a great weekend, and is enjoying their rigs.

--SQLShaw
Old 06-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #16
jsmith948

Welcome to the forum!

I think you may have missed that the moderator was having a little fun also

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
mikell

Living in an LPINE 3649 RL the only thing I can complain about is it's too nice for what we needed
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
8LVISE

Welcome to Alpine 3555RL

SQLShaw to the Alpine forums. We have a 2012 3555RL and love it as well. The tip regarding retracting and extending the slides and the recliners is absolutely correct. Most of the tips and useful info I have gotten came from the very kind and astute members of the forum who do their best to help. A few more tips that I have gleaned from this forum:
The hanging sconces over your kitchen sink will blow the 15 amp fuse if they get loose and swing. Just tighten the thumb screw near the ceiling and all will be well.
We found that our grey 1 and black tanks were mislabeled at the valves and so relabeled them appropriately. This is surprisingly common.
Make sure your fan light is off when you retract your slides for the lounge area or the blades will hit the slides when in. The rocker switch is easy to hit at the control panel. As a fail-safe, I leave the light on and use the rocker to turn off instead of the pull chain to make sure if hit accidently the light will let me know before the blades get going.
The fridge takes FOREVER to cool (about 10-12 hours to go from 60 to 40 degrees) and we have learned to expect that. Some suggestions have included putting a bag of ice in the freezer, but we haven't found it that helpful. We are not able to turn fridge on before any trips as rig is stored at a distance from home.
Some well-placed adhesive silicon bumpers helps to avoid wear on doors in bedroom and bathroom where it runs into dresser or opposite door.
Hope these help! Do keep up with the forum. I do a search here first if I have any questions and usually find the answer.
Best of luck with your new rig!
8LVISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Jim_VaBeach

My Dealer instructed me to use the lp gas mode when starting up the frig.then shift to electricity. I have not timed it though. We store the unit ten days then put it on site for a month, then repeat this every month, same campground. We then spend weekends in the camper. I also run the gas water heater initially, then shift to electric. Not an original idea but it keeps everything exercised regularly. Going to run the furnace a few minutes this weekend also, even though it is going to be in the 90's. Hopefully the spiders and mud daubers stay away!
PS I also put a battery operated fan, $20, in the fridge to circulate air also recommended by my dealer
Jim_VaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
smitty082261

New To Alpine

My wife and I are looking at the Alpine 3555RL. I sold a Carriage Cameo a couple of years ago and have heard good things about Keystone Alpine. I want to know what current owners think of thier Alpine, good and bad

Thanks
Bruce
smitty082261 is offline   Reply With Quote