Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
WELLSweR

Tires??

Should we be concerned with the tires on our new Montana, we will be driving a considerable distance when we pick it up and have read warnings about the quality... Also, how are the beds on the 2012, read a post that stated they're terrible, not comparable to older models, your info would be appreciated.. Thanks
WELLSweR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WELLSweR View Post
Should we be concerned with the tires on our new Montana, we will be driving a considerable distance when we pick it up and have read warnings about the quality... Also, how are the beds on the 2012, read a post that stated they're terrible, not comparable to older models, your info would be appreciated.. Thanks
Have your dealer "Throw in" balancing and inflate them to max. psi marked on sidewall and you should be good to go. They most likely already made the trip form Indiana to your dealer. As for the mattress ... some say the newer ones are better but good luck on that one.
Enjoy your new Montana and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Outbackmel

Opinions

That's what you are going to receive regarding your question(s).
Manufacturers put tires on that are rated to meet safety specifications .. no guarantys against blow outs, etc. Most tires have "warranty". No one can provide assurance you will not have a problem. Use Google and find your tire, search them out for failure rates. I run factory brand tires and properly inflated, no issue. Does not mean something will never happen. After a trip, I crawl under that rig and look for tread or sidewall separation and feel for bubbles.....none; great. Travel on! Issue; replace. I have a NEW, never seen pavement, 2005 "Goodyear" RV tire and wheel in my storage shed. Would I use it, HECK NO, it's a high quality tire BUT, it's 6 years old. I would not even sell it and assume somebody knows how to code check and uses it.

Mattress quality in these RV's is "fair" at best. Not many of us using the RV frequently would NOT consider improving. Ours is 1 yr old and hoping to get 1 more year, BUT, if not; plenty of mattress options just about anywhere in the US of A.... so far, a mattress topper has worked; then again; that's just us....

I'm just say'n.....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

GOT TO GO WITH HANKEYE ON THE TIRES. MY 2010 MONTANS HAS HAD NO ISSUES WITH THE FACTORY TIRES. 2YEARS DOWN 3 TO GO THEN THEY ARE OUTA THERE. I TO CRAWL UNDER THE UNIT BEFORE I GO TO CHECK THEM. THE MATRESS IS SO SO BUT I AM A BIG GUY. THERE ARE LOTS OF OPTIONS IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. BUT GIVE IT A TRY AND ENJOY
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
gbsb

My new Fuzion Toyhauler came with Carlise tires on it. A good freind that has been in tire busniess for years told me he wouldn't run them no where they where a blow out waiting to happen, experence talking. Do a search on your brand of tires thats what I did. I changed my tires before we left for the summer, after 15000 miles no problems will not run the cheap china tires safety means more to me than taking a chance. I do not want to be on the side of the road changing a tire or have damage to my home even if it is covered by waranty. Do what you think is right might not ever have a problem. George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
WELLSweR

Mattress

We are upgrading (hopefully) from a 2005 Cedar Creek and have used the mattress that came in it for 7 years.. It is very comfortable, maybe more so than home and has held up great. I would think for the money these should have good mattresses.... Seems the price continues upwards and quality sometimes heads the other way...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Exsailor

Having lost a couple of tires on my last Bristol NASCAR trip, I learned a few things. Just because your camper is a new 2010, doesn't necessarily mean the tires are 2010 also. Check those dates and 3 years seems to be the limit. Keystone likes to cut corners here. Heat and speed are incredibly important also. Even though I could tow at 75mph doesn't mean the tires would hold up. if they look a little weird, replace them. Even if it doesn't have a "bubble"or whatever anything that doesn't look new should be checked. When it blows on the highway, that's a bummer and will make that 150 bucks you spend on a new tire seem pretty cheap.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Exsailor

There I was, jacking up the trailer, changing the tire on the side of I40 while the wife is busy uploading pictures of me to Facebook. From now on I will probably change the tires when they get dirty!

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
jje1960

Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
Having lost a couple of tires on my last Bristol NASCAR trip, I learned a few things. Just because your camper is a new 2010, doesn't necessarily mean the tires are 2010 also. Check those dates and 3 years seems to be the limit. Keystone likes to cut corners here. Heat and speed are incredibly important also. Even though I could tow at 75mph doesn't mean the tires would hold up. if they look a little weird, replace them. Even if it doesn't have a "bubble"or whatever anything that doesn't look new should be checked. When it blows on the highway, that's a bummer and will make that 150 bucks you spend on a new tire seem pretty cheap.
Love Bristol, have already reserved 2 water sites at Farmer Bobs, where do you all park? We are there for the week, pull in Saturday and leave the following Sunday.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
chuck&gail

If it is new, and you didn't pick it up yet, see what the dealer will do for you on price of 4 new non-Chinese tires. We did that as part of sales process, worked fine. I'd rather pay more and not have blowouts. Worked ok for us for over 200,000 miles so far on non-Chinese tires.

As someone said above. I have 5 Carlisle tires that have been used for only the 70 miles to get home from the dealer. They are almost 10 years old. Make good tree swings.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
mhs4771

You didn't mention which model Montana (or I missed it) some are much heavier than others. If you have one of the lighter models you may be ok for a while. Some members on the Montana Forum have been running the China Bombs without a problem, others have blown tires on their way home from the Dealer. We didn't want to run the risk since we put a lot of miles on, so we switched to Goodyear 614s.
Mattress, another questionable. At first we thought ours was very comfortable, but after sleeping on it for three months straight we upgraded to a Sleep Number, now spending 6 months in warmer climate.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
KAB449

Goodyear Marathons came with ours. I put on a good TPMS and will check them often. Replacements at the first sign of trouble will be the best available at that time. As for the mattress, it is the king with a 2" foam topper. It is actually pretty good but when I don't get a good night's sleep it will be replaced with the same as in our house: 12" thick memory foam.
2011 F250 Lariat TD Crew 6.5 Box
18K Reese Elite
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
CWtheMan

Tires on RV trailers have a “middle-man” - the delivery driver. They can destroy the tires from the factory to the dealer and most times the new owner will be on the short end. Of course the dealer can also be involved with their internal destruction by not insuring they are properly aired. And sometimes your unit may have been moved to RV show locations on very low tires. Here again, the buyer is on the short end. Tire history plays a big part in early tire failures. Tire degradation is cumulative and almost always undetected until it’s too late. The smart buyer will insure the dealer installs’ new tires as part of the deal. Even if they are the same size and brand . It’s super beneficial to know the history of your trailer tires.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
WELLSweR

Model 3100RL

We purchased the 3100RL and is not expected to be ready till February sometime, no papers signed yet so maybe we can get some kind of price on tire replacement... We will be hauling to the coast in spring and back home in fall so maybe the tires will be fine.. Will definitely have them checked before bringing home as that is almost 300 miles... Hopefully the bed will be fine, am looking forward to getting it home. I appreciate all of your replies.. Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
LittleJoe

Re: the middle man.

The middle man has a lot invested in making sure he has the most uneventful delivery as he is responsible for unit until dealer signs off on delivery.

You can be sure that he will make sure the tires are properly inflated and bearings have grease. He will also not be exceeding the speed limit if that as all extra $ spent in fuel comes directly out of his profit margin, which is very slim to begin with.

That is at least my experience from talking to several hotshotters who make there living at this. A damaged trailer from a blowout , from a soft tire can mean he makes 0 or less on that delivery.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote