Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
jonny

new owner question...

could anyone tell me what the switch under the countertop on my 27RL is for? i kindof feel stupid fopr asking but i got no owner manuels of any kind with the rig! lol!
is it gas for the hot water heater?
thanks!
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
CarKath

What model and year do you have. Keystone has a few units tagged 27RL.
I'd check Keysones site and download the manual for your unit. Or myself or somebody here will find you a link to the info you need.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't have that model, but seems I remember someone posting a while back about an inside entry light with a switch hidden under the counter. You may have a light over your entry door that is controlled by that switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
jonny

its a laredo 5th wheel. ive looked to see if it turns on lights but it doesnt. i also had the factory send me a manual but it is all but useless when it comes down to the details of things. my old trailer had a three ring binder with all the manuals of the different manufacturers of all the appliances but alas not this trailer...
Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
CarKath

Is this the manual they sent you?

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...nual_08_09.pdf

I skimmed it and as you said. Didn't say much about what you are looking for.

I have doing a few google searchs as well and coming up dry.

I'll keep digging......

Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
jonny

hey, thanks Carl, also do you know what the screw open round things on the inside roof are for? i assume they are vents but i dont know...
Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
hey, thanks Carl, also do you know what the screw open round things on the inside roof are for? i assume they are vents but i dont know...
Those are your A/C vents. As for the switch under the cabinet ... Do you have a central vacuum system. (there should be a round hole at the base of that cabinet to attach the hose and the vacuum will not start unless the hose is attached) These were an option on some Keystone models or if you bought used could be after-market.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
dbunn

Maybe it is a switch for rthe electric hot water heater?
dbunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
jonny

its not a vacuum as far as i can tell, the switch says atwood on it so i was wondering if it was for the hot water as well. and WOW thats pretty cool with the vents lol! ive never seen that before, ive just been running the A.C. out of the unit vents....
Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
its not a vacuum as far as i can tell, the switch says atwood on it so i was wondering if it was for the hot water as well. and WOW thats pretty cool with the vents lol! ive never seen that before, ive just been running the A.C. out of the unit vents....
Atwood switch would be the 120 volt side of your HWH. If its on it should/could turn red or some color to let you know the HWH is on. Dont forget to check the breaker in your panel box also.
YOU have open and close vents for your AC thats a new one on me. BUT now you can direct your AC where you want it to go.
have fun camping.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
jonny

well the electrical element on the heater has a switch right behind the heater. its on and working good. what do you mean by 120 volt? (it does have a light that comes on)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
If it says Atwood it is for water heater as byrdr1 said. There is also a safety switch on the heater itself. It is very important to fill the heater with water before turning on the electric element. When you drain the tank be sure to turn off the switch on the heater and put the safety pin through the hole in the switch. This prevents someone form turning on the breaker or cabinet mounted switch and burning out the element. (instantly) If you bought this trailer from a dealer, all of this should have been explained to you. If you bought it privately, you may find our forum search function very helpful or just ask away under the appropriate heading. JM2¢ Enjoy your new trailer, Hank
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
YOU have open and close vents for your AC thats a new one on me. BUT now you can direct your AC where you want it to go.
have fun camping.
randy
Randy, some vents screw in and out to restrict flow but only direct flow 360°. Others allow you to direct the flow but you can not restrict it. It depends on the supplier at the time of manufacturing. Hank
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
jonny

thanks for the help guys. back to this switch. i have the switch on the heater itself turned on but the switch under the counter turned off and im still getting hot water. its seems like you are saying that they should both be on for it to operate. i was wondering if its a switch to enable the gas system on the heater. and if not how would i enable the gas system?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
jonny

ok, I got it figured out. i have a switch on the heater (on the inside) that turns on the element. no safety pin just a switch. i turned it off and ran some hot water then i turned on the switch under the counter and heard the familiar noise of the gas burner working. the red light doesnt stay on on this switch but it is working.
i guess i was confused by all of the other posts i read concerning water heaters. there are so many different setups that its difficult to figure out which post applies.
thanks everyone for your help.
im moving from wyoming to seattle in a few days so i think ill go check all the caulking and the roof to try and prevent water leaks!
jon