Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
lmoser

outdoor shower

I'm still having trouble getting my outside shower hooked up on my new Cougar 324. I tried lubricating the male connector but still cannot get it hooked up. It appears there maybe a plug that needs to be punched out. Any thoughts on that? Also shouldn't water run when you open the hot or cold faucet even though the coiled hose is not connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
ifishsum

That's the model with the slip collar fitting, correct? I don't think water will come out unless something is connected, there is probably a spring ball valve that gets pushed open by the end of the male fitting. Could be that yours is stuck and keeping that hose from fully seating? Hate to ask the obvious, but you are pushing back on the collar while trying to insert the hose, right?
ifishsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
therink

I have the same problem with the quick connect at my outside sink faucet. Mine started corroding within 1 month from new. It is just a poorly designed cheap set up and does not to well in the elements. It is a faucet isn't it?
Anyway, I don't even use it because it is such a piece of junk. I plan on replacing it with a different/better style disconnect. Anyone have ideas?
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

The old style is exactly like the inside shower and threads on and off. Problem there is with hose off water will still come out of faucet. The only time I use mine is to winterize it. Have a Happy Fourth, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
jerseyphil

I have the coiled outside shower hose with my 318SAB. For the longest time, I thought I had the wrong hose because it wouldn't connect when pressing it in. And, the water WILL NOT flow without the hose in place.

I finally tried pushing the coiled hose in real hard, and it popped in place. So, it does work now, but I doubt I'll ever use this as a shower.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Me.Bikes.Dogs

That PIA quick connect

Hi Imoser, is your quick connect similar to this for the outside shower?

My outside quick connect is a bear to hook up. First off, don't "punch" anything out. You'll ruin it. There is a sleeve on the outside that needs to be pushed back. While pushing it back you insert the hose male end and push really hard. I'm talking really hard! You'll feel a bit of a snap when it finally connects and the sleeve will be released. You are pushing against a valve at the back of the connecter that allows the water to go into the hose. It is slightly easier to connect before your water system is pressurized because you aren't having to fight against the valve plus water pressure.

To remove you again push the sleeve back and work the male end around a bit until it pops out. On mine the water pressure pushes the male end out once it finally releases. I have to fiddle with it for a while and I usually get blasted with water (good for a laugh if you have friends standing around watching).

Honestly, neither is an easy task. I've considered grasping the hose metal (not the male end that gets inserted) with a pliers to insert it. Once I have it connected I leave it until I leave my site.

Good luck!
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
therink

OK, since I read and responded to this post yesterday, its been killing me. Since my quick connect has not worked right, I decided to remove it and figure out why it us so hard to operate.
I took the quick connect apart and found it to be full of rust. When taken apart, there are two small metal pins. These pins are what hold the quick connect in place and were covered with a layer of rust. This rust causes them to seize up and not hold the quick connect fitting in place. I placed the tiny pins in a bench vise, cleaned them up with a wire wheel, and put the assembly back together. It works like brand new now.
Because of the poor design andcheap material used (should be stainless steel parts), this cleaning just needs to be done from time to time.
Steve

Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
lmoser

Thanks for all the input

I'm going to try pushing in the male part very very hard.
lmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
TAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoser View Post

That's how I roll!
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoser View Post
You might want to go out to dinner and a movie first.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
RCrawler

I don't care who ya' are, that's funny right there...

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
You might want to go out to dinner and a movie first.
I agree!! That is hilarious!!!
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
therink

This thread should be sticky!
This is going down hill quickly.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
RetiredDip

Outdoor shower worked fine on new 346LBQ, then one stop experienced same problem. Unscrewed the metal quick connect from the plastic pipe, then screwed it back on, but not so tight. Connector has worked fine ever since. Be careful to make sure the threads are perfectly aligned since the ones on the plastic pipe look like they'll strip fairly easily. Good luck.
RetiredDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
hankaye

Howdy All;

I'd be careful about how hard ya push on the valve.....
Ya might push the whole she-bang outta the wall...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
MTcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredDip View Post
Outdoor shower worked fine on new 346LBQ, then one stop experienced same problem. Unscrewed the metal quick connect from the plastic pipe, then screwed it back on, but not so tight. Connector has worked fine ever since. Be careful to make sure the threads are perfectly aligned since the ones on the plastic pipe look like they'll strip fairly easily. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, RetiredDip. I have had a miserable time trying to connect the blue coiled outside shower hose. Even draining the water tank and opening the inside faucets to depressurize the system did not help. Saw your post and loosened the quick connector and tried again. It snapped in much to my joy. Tightened it slightly so it doesn't leak and I will keep it hooked up forever. Thanks again.
MTcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Jim Dow

2011 Montana High Country-Outdoor Shower Works

I am happy to report that the outdoor shower quick connect/disconnect was clearly and correctly labeled; and it worked correctly on the first try. It is located in the water cabinet, right where I expected it to be.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote