Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
Dave W

Interior wall gouge

A recliner broke loose when we went to Maine in September and left a gouge in one wall. Not too bad at 1" x 3" but I still need to repair it. I would like to use some sort of light weight filler and then put a wall border over it to cover the filler. Finding a border is my DWs part of the repair. I need to find a good light weight filler that will stay in place. Any suggestions? A Bondo type material usually is tough to sand, particularly on a plasticized luan panel and many of the 'spackles' are pretty heavy. The chair tie downs are already fixed
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
earlzach

If the hole is gaping and there is no support behind it I suggest putting some wastes up pepper towels in to pack it out then you can spackle over with the light fluffy stuff you can get at any true value hardware store. Just be sure to use a wide enough scraper to apply it even. It shouldn't shrink when drying but if it does due to the hole size just do a send build up. Once level wth the wall, just smooth it over and put up the border.
Let me know how you make out with the border. In wanting to do this in my tt. I don't know border like I know patching holes. Lol
Old 11-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
If the hole is gaping and there is no support behind it I suggest putting some wastes up pepper towels in to pack it out then you can spackle over with the light fluffy stuff you can get at any true value hardware store. Just be sure to use a wide enough scraper to apply it even. It shouldn't shrink when drying but if it does due to the hole size just do a send build up. Once level wth the wall, just smooth it over and put up the border.
Let me know how you make out with the border. In wanting to do this in my tt. I don't know border like I know patching holes. Lol
Luckily, not a gaping hole, just a 1/4 - 1/2 inch deep gouge that broke though the luan. I hadn't seen anything fluffy in Home Depot/Lowe's. Maybe just need to see if a hardware store carries something besides the heavy body DAP.

As far as getting the border on - that will be a spring project and maybe even the gouge repair as the current weather is high wind and snow today and continued chilly
Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
earlzach

Here you go, it's by dap. Tell me where to send it Lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Dave W

Thanks!!
It must be available locally since ACE Hardware has one of their mega size distribution centers about 10 miles up the road. I'll pick up a container from a local store and give it a trial run since not all like it, claiming slow drying time mostly. That wont bother me as much as popping out and away will.

PS: Just looked and the local Walmart has some in stock