Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
Tinner12002

Travel route

Ok I am thinking of traveling from IN to Redondo Beach CA area, leaving IN around the 10th-11th of Feb. I was looking at staying maybe in Dockweiler Beach RV park north of Redondo Beach. My question is, what southern route would I be best to take to stay mostly out of snow? I was looking at I44 then to I40 but thinking I might be better off going further south before going through the mountains, possibly hwy 10. Any ideas? Has anyone else stayed at Dockweiler?
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
Tinner12002

Moderator, if you wish to move this to Freeways & Byways that works too!
Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
notanlines

Keep in mind that I-40 from Little Rock thru to Oklahoma City on to Amarillo and points west is subject to snow most any time in February. And from Amarillo west you probably WILL be subject to snow. I might look at a reasonable path to Little Rock, south on I-30 to Dallas, west on I-20 almost to El Paso and then on I-10 to your destination. Indiana to southwest Texas is a crap shoot.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Keep in mind that I-40 from Little Rock thru to Oklahoma City on to Amarillo and points west is subject to snow most any time in February. And from Amarillo west you probably WILL be subject to snow. I might look at a reasonable path to Little Rock, south on I-30 to Dallas, west on I-20 almost to El Paso and then on I-10 to your destination. Indiana to southwest Texas is a crap shoot.
X2 on that route. Once you get west of Abilene watch the weather for possible high winds, snow shouldn't be a problem, but Mother Nature can be fickle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We have spent several nights "in a motel" between Nashville/Memphis on I-40. This far out, it's impossible to predict what the weather will be like on any given weekend in February. Remember, it's not whether you know how to drive on icy roads, it's whether the "locals" can cope and whether they'll be zipping by (hopefully) and not plowing through your truck/trailer. Freezing rain in that area shuts down the entire interstate.

Every year for the past 5 or 6 years, in late January or early February, Dallas/Ft Worth has been "paralyzed" by ice/snow on the interstates. It doesn't last long, but if you're in the middle of it, one day is too long. I-40 through Albuquerque is subject to be closed for snow drifts in "mid winter" (Jan/Feb) and it's almost always "hit and miss" as to whether you'll get through the pass or get stuck for a day or two.

That said, from Indiana, I'd head straight south to Nashville, then west through Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas/Ft Worth, El Paso and west. Even then, with that "almost as far south as you can go" routing, you may find a day or two where you'll need to "hole up and wait" for the roads to clear. Once you get past Midland/Odessa you should be OK, so plan accordingly and be sure your propane tanks are full when you start, you may need to "dry camp" a day or two, depending on which cold front moves through or changes direction after you leave home. None of that can be "assured" this early in the season.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We have spent several nights "in a motel" between Nashville/Memphis on I-40. This far out, it's impossible to predict what the weather will be like on any given weekend in February. Remember, it's not whether you know how to drive on icy roads, it's whether the "locals" can cope and whether they'll be zipping by (hopefully) and not plowing through your truck/trailer. Freezing rain in that area shuts down the entire interstate.

Every year for the past 5 or 6 years, in late January or early February, Dallas/Ft Worth has been "paralyzed" by ice/snow on the interstates. It doesn't last long, but if you're in the middle of it, one day is too long. I-40 through Albuquerque is subject to be closed for snow drifts in "mid winter" (Jan/Feb) and it's almost always "hit and miss" as to whether you'll get through the pass or get stuck for a day or two.

That said, from Indiana, I'd head straight south to Nashville, then west through Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas/Ft Worth, El Paso and west. Even then, with that "almost as far south as you can go" routing, you may find a day or two where you'll need to "hole up and wait" for the roads to clear. Once you get past Midland/Odessa you should be OK, so plan accordingly and be sure your propane tanks are full when you start, you may need to "dry camp" a day or two, depending on which cold front moves through or changes direction after you leave home. None of that can be "assured" this early in the season.
Not an ideal route from further south but do you think going further south on I8 out to the San Diego coast and then up to LA would be better than through Phoenix and on to LA on I10?
Old 11-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Not an ideal route from further south but do you think going further south on I8 out to the San Diego coast and then up to LA would be better than through Phoenix and on to LA on I10?
This is just my thoughts, but if you make it through the really cold stuff from Indiana to Dallas/Ft Worth, then worrying about Phoenix/San Diego "ain't gonna be nuthin"... Once you get past El Paso, you shouldn't have any problems with ice/snow.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Barbell

We have made the trip cross-country in Feb several times. Best route is I-10 from Carolina to Calif. The worst part of that rte is thru El Paso, not because of the weather but because its mostly uphill East of El Paso and many times you also have a headwind. The traffic thru EP is horrendus. I-40 is an alternative but keep in mind that there are at least two crests in excess of 7000 ft; one between Alb and Gallup and the other around Flagstaff. Both can be bad in winter. Also, Texas is really bad about clearing roads after a storm. If it snows, you may have towait for it to melt before the Roads are plowed. Good luck.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #9
Tinner12002

Thanks everyone for all the great info!!