Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
AlgonquinHighlands

New to RVing, and loving it so far but we have a problem

We thought we would buy a used RV, so we bought a 1999 Montana.. the problem we are having is with emptying the sewage. There isnt a manual that tell us what to do... but we did hook up the hose etc and pulled the two levers.. some came out but not all.. I checked the guages and it told me the galley was still full... We have no idea what to do.. can someone help, please.. instructions, pictures are welcome! lol

thanx so much!
AlgonquinHighlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Txoutback

There is most likely a third lever for that tank. Tell us what model your Montana is and someone here can tell you where it is. Another possibility is your sensors are messed up. One thing at a time.

Dave

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
THedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txoutback View Post
There is most likely a third lever for that tank. Tell us what model your Montana is and someone here can tell you where it is. Another possibility is your sensors are messed up. One thing at a time.

Dave
I think Dave's answer is spot on.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If you look at your gauges, you might have 3 readings. One black, one galley and one grey. Gauges, especially the black; and to a lesser extent, the galley, are notorious for giving false readings. As was pointed out above, this is probably due to either a faulty sensor or one that is covered in "crud" and can't give an accurate reading.
As far as your tank levers are concerned, there probably should be three - one for each of the gauges above (black, grey and galley). Depending upon the configuration and layout of your floorplan and tanks, two of the drains (galley and grey) may end up in the same tank - but this isn't a good scenario or likely - resulting in only two levers to pull.
I would have another good look underneath your unit and double check to see if you can find a third lever. Sorry, but I am not familiar enough with that model to tell you where to look.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
jq1031

These gauges, especially in an older RV are most likely inaccurate as was previously said. Suggest on you next trip, put a 25lb bag of ice down the toilet along with 5 or 6 gallons of water just before you head out. The Ice may clean the tank & sensors by slushing around & freeing the sludge that is stuck to the tank walls, dump as soon as you arrive at your destination....that might help!!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

this is actually a good idea, with the ice. will it mess anything up with the sensor's and what not.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

As long as you have a reasonable amount of water (as was indicated in jq1031's above post), the ice cubes sloshing around inside will not harm the sensors or anything else in the tank. This technique doesn't always work but has been shown to be fairly successful some of the time.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
chuck&gail

You can help the CUBED ice out if you add a cup or so of dishwashing liquid, and a cup of water softener like Calgon, along with the ice.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
jrhaman

They often put the handle for the galley tank in between the wheels on the drivers side.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #10
Outbackmel

3 levers

I had a similar issue with my new 5er Outback a year ago. Tried everything, no luck. Finally spotted a "roaming" RV repairman but could not get out to my RV. Gave me the tip that the 3rd lever was often difficult to find, and mine was.

It was blending into the black plastic sewer pipe and I simply kept overlooking it.

Call any Camping World service department and they will tell you where to look.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote