Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
TyeeMan

Bullet Premier 29RKPR Walk able Roof?

Hey Everybody,

I'm starting a new post for a Bullet Premier 29RKPR as it's a new topic and I didn't wan't to hi-jack a previous post.

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a Premier 29RKPR this coming spring so were trying to garner as much info as possible.

Is the roof on this coach fully walkable? If not, how does one get up there and inspect various things like caulking, etc.? I've seen conflicting info so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance for the info!
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Tbos

Bullet Premier 29RKPR Walk able Roof?

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I saw a premier in the CG this weekend. Nice looking rigs. Not sure if the roof is walkable. You'll have to refer to the company brochure. If it had a ladder on the back it is. If not people use the 3" thick solid foam insulation to walk on it.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
SummitPond

We toured the Bullet Premier assembly line this past spring. When I asked about walkability I was informed the roof was "servicable", meaning you could walk on it as long as you made sure you stepped on the rafters and not in between. They also suggested laying a carpet (pile side down) and a thin sheet of plywood over that to make it easier to get around. The roofs are not walkable in the sense that RV roofs 40+ years ago were - you have to be careful where you step.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
TyeeMan

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm, so as far as washing/cleaning the roof, , sounds like that might be better done from a ladder using a soft brush with a loooong handle.

Not that I enjoy getting up on the roof, , I like Terra Firma a lot better, but it's one of those necessary things.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
temccarthy1

DO NOT walk on a Bullet roof! You are asking for trouble. After my dealer told me it was "OK" I called the factory and spoke to an engineer who said NO WAY! Do your work from a ladder. These Ultralights are not built for a 200 lb shoe on the roof! Putting plywood or foam on it is too dangerous from a trip or slide hazard!

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet Ultralite 285RLS TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L V8 Triton
Equalizer E2 WD Hitch
temccarthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
TyeeMan

Thanks for the heads up! When we purchase this spring we'll be grilling everybody to get the correct information.
Last thing I want is to try and clean the roof and end up on the floor of the camper.
The rediculous thing about this is, this should be a cut and dried note from the manufacturer. Yes you can, or no you can not walk the roof. It's not that difficult.

This very thing is what makes purchasing a new camper frustrating as $hi@. Just give me some solid information.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As stated rule of thumb is if it is equipped with a ladder then it can be walked on, if not then no not recommended.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
TyeeMan

I remember that from previouse posts. Trust me, it's not that I have this urge to climb up on the roof. I'll walk the roof of my house, , save 5 feet from any edge.
That said, it's hard to inspect caulking joints if you can't, or if it's difficult to walk the roof of the camper.

Hey, how bout a drone? 😁
Old 11-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
gregrc75

I am on my second Premier and both roofs of my trailers seem to be built the same -had a 2011 and now a 2018. I walk on the roof to service it but I do step as close as possible on the rafters. I weigh 165 lbs. if you step in between the rafters, you can feel the roof give so I avoid that. I have walked on my friends 2017 Cougar, equipped with a ladder, and his roof definitely feels more solid.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
Leatherman

Hi TyeeMan
I have a 2018 24RKPR. I ordered it and it was built on April 4th, 2017. This topic came up in an earlier thread about walkable roofs. The graphic below was my contribution. In short, if the unit comes with a ladder it is supposed to be walkable. If it does not, it is not walkable. Regardless of what folks say what is printed in the manual is what they will go by if you have a warranty issue.

Oh, I love my trailer. It fits the DW and I nicely.
Attached Images

2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
TyeeMan

Hi Leatherman,

Thanks for posting that, I appreciate it!
I'm glad to hear toy love your camper, were planning on purchasing a 29RKPR this spring, super excited!
We looked at so many trailers and manufacturers we were going nuts.
Then my wife walked into this 29RKPR, she hollered over to me, you gotta see this!
I walked in and saw tha huge rear kitchen and all the windows, and it was like holy cow, , this is it!

The one dissapointment is the anemic bathroom mirror that placed up too high. I'll either have to get the wife a step stool or lower it.

Buying a camper ous deffinately an exercise of gives and takes.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #12
Eastham

I have a 2016 cougar elite 28ft. the paper work says 3/8 in walkable roof.no ladder. I looked up cougar 5th wheel paper work says 3/8 walkable roof it has a ladder.I have walked on it a few times it seem solid enough to do your work and get down.Both roofs had the same specks as to how they were built.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, bullet premier, roof