Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Who really cares? I have had zero- zip - nada lift indicated in 15,000 or more miles with two 5er nor will you. As far as a commercial vehicle ............ I don't have one, will never have one nor ever expect to haul my 5er on an icy road.
First off, I was just pointing out what insurance companies and transportation industry experts say about the use of tailgates during slippery conditions. It was simply a point of information for a person to consider when deciding what he should or shouldn't use for a tailgate. It's actually a benefit to use the louvered tailgates that allow the air to flow through vs the OE tailgate which will push the airflow up to the bottom side of the 5er nose, causing lift (lighter pin weight). The effect is there if your truck is personal use or commercial use.

As for who really cares? Most people won't, but if you ever come across someone who had an accident as a result, I'll guess that they do. I've towed over 60k miles with 5ers and personally could not tell you if I've experienced lift or not, you wouldn't really know until you lose control. So I will never say that someone will never experience this, it has happened to some. I've flown a lot and have never been in a plane crash, but it's happened to some. I never expected to tow my personal 5er on icy roads, but I've been caught by it during early spring trips at higher altitudes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #22
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I'm really surprised by the negative comments. We have had several fivers along with several trucks and I wouldn't even think of pulling a fiver without the notched tailgate. It makes hooking and unhooking 100% easier. I'll bet 90% of those who say they wouldn't have one have never had one to realize how much easier they are. I'm not concerned whether they save me a minimal mpg or not...it's all about ease. When I wasn't towing for an extended time I could pop it off and put on the original tailgate in 2 minutes or less.
Earl - it's the internet and you have a big cross section of people who have opinions and as such, they don't always agree. Until I 'winged' the OEM 'gate, I wasn't in the detractors but in the ambivalent group. Now it's about the ease and well being of equipment (me as well as the truck)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:56 AM   #23
jsmith948

Well - an interesting thread. I tow with the stock tailgate. I can't speak to how much actual lift there might be, but, I know there is a great deal of turbulence in the rear of the bed. I like to use 2x6 blocks that are about 30" long under the landing gear - used to carry them in the bed of the truck on either side of the hitch until one windy day, one of the boards actually lifted up and put a scrape in the underside of the 5er next to the pin box. We could hear the boards banging around back there, Don't carry anything light in the bed anymore.
BTW, the only thing keeping me from having a louvered, notched tailgate is the cost and the loss of the back-up camera.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #24
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
First off, I was just pointing out what insurance companies and transportation industry experts say about the use of tailgates during slippery conditions. It was simply a point of information for a person to consider when deciding what he should or shouldn't use for a tailgate. It's actually a benefit to use the louvered tailgates that allow the air to flow through vs the OE tailgate which will push the airflow up to the bottom side of the 5er nose, causing lift (lighter pin weight). The effect is there if your truck is personal use or commercial use.
A few months ago I read a article that stated that the pin weight at 65 mph can increase by 5% to 15% due to the downward wind force on the front of the 5er and it talk about the different shapes and the affect they have on towing. The test was done with a plate between the pin and hitch that measured weights. I can't find article right now but will look for it.

Think about standing in the rear of your truck hold a 4x8 piece of plywood at the same angle your front of your 5er and the amount of down force it would have at 65 mph.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #25
CWSWine

Interesting what the affects are with tailgate up and down in wind tunnel. Seems that solid tailgate serves a purpose when up and saves fuel.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ECBD&FORM=VIRE
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #26
tgpilot

That was what I posted early on, tail gate up was designed to save fuel
Old 04-24-2016, 03:53 AM   #27
Dave W

Yep, even the 'Mythbusters' TV show, before they went dumb proved that with a tailgate up, there is less turbulence and probably better fuel mileage with a cushion of air trapped in the bed. But what they didn't prove or even attempt while debunking the tailgate theory was with a large TT, 5th wheel or gooseneck attached.

As I have said before, my 5er tailgate is for convenience sake. There is the added plus of no longer having whatever is in the bed while towing, levitate or disappear with the special tailgate.

I didn't buy an 8300 pound, $60K pickup to pinch pennies. It was purchased to haul a 12,000+ pound 38' foot long, 8+ feet wide x 13+ feet tall 5th wheel RV at reasonable highway speeds while in a comfortable seat. And that tailgate just makes it easier at both ends of my trip
Old 04-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #28
jje1960

Tailgate

Really a huge pain in the a$s with stock tailgate and our setup, has worked out great, don't have a clue about the mileage, not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Attached Images

jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #29
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
A few months ago I read a article that stated that the pin weight at 65 mph can increase by 5% to 15% due to the downward wind force on the front of the 5er and it talk about the different shapes and the affect they have on towing. The test was done with a plate between the pin and hitch that measured weights. I can't find article right now but will look for it.

Think about standing in the rear of your truck hold a 4x8 piece of plywood at the same angle your front of your 5er and the amount of down force it would have at 65 mph.
Saving fuel is not my concern. Either way seems would be negligible anyway. Adding up to 15% to the pin weight is something I thought of but did not expect up to 15%. It seems all those that have them find the replacement worth the minor cost for convenience. Well, except those that bought the composite replacements as they are not able to hold more than about 100# which means more difficulty if I need to get into the bed. I'll be home in June so have time to research pricing until then.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #30
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
....................Well, except those that bought the composite replacements as they are not able to hold more than about 100# which means more difficulty if I need to get into the bed. I'll be home in June so have time to research pricing until then.
Mine is steel vs the composite, usually a Stromberg-Carlson. As far as the 'plastic' version only able to hold 100 or so pounds and if that excess is you, then that really is NOT a problem as you don't have to step on the 'gate to access the bed. Use your bumper license plate recess as a step then into the bed. My tailgate, I believe is rated at 150# but I can assure you that my 210# has been plunked on it many times along with many loads like that clunk sofa/bed couch out of our 5er on Thursday