Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
LarryL

I to have a Cougar 326MKS pull it with a Chev 3/4 6.0 Vortec 6speed auto
Have only had for 1 month, but sure pulls easy even up hills,60,65mph easy.
The speed limit is 55 in Calif,thats where we do most of our camping,I have been thinking about getting in and out of gas stations,but thats where the GPS will come in handy to find truckstops with gas i hope.
I had a harder time pulling my 2009 Outback and it was 1500lb lighter.
it had 15'' wheels the cougar has 16'' 1'm sure that makes a big diffrents.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
rgwilliams69

Almost Exact Same Situation

Last year we had a 2010 F250 CC SB (5.4 V8) pulling a 2010 Outback Sydney with close to the same specified weight and pin weight you mention. All I can say of that combination is that it was not fun to travel. Would it do it? Yes. Were you tired and worn out if you had to drive over 120 miles or so? You bet. Did I get respectable gas mileage? I don't think so. Probably averaged 5mpg - if there was no wind I could get up to 7mpg. And that was pulling in the flat lands of central Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

So since I had consulted with my trusty Ford dealer on rated capacity towing before buying the truck when I went back to complain I guess they felt bad that I was not enjoying the truck. Long story short I quickly got out of the 2010 and into a 2011 F250 CC SB 6.7 Diesel (with the camper package - overload springs, heavy duty front, etc.). First trip with the Outback, when I arrived I thought maybe I had forgot the camper because you never even realized it was back there. The difference in towing experience is phenomenal. Is it $7000 worth of difference (6.7 Diesel option)? You bet.

Now since I have so much additional towing capacity to play with we have decided to upgrade from the Outback to an Alpine 3640RL. Take delivery of that bad boy on 3/29.

I won't be one of those guys who will say that it has to be a Ford truck (although dang, that thing is awesome) - but I will say that you just don't have enough torque to do what you need to do when you get up into the 10,000lb plus campers. The experience with the 2010 gasser was so bad I might have given up camping altogether.

Hope this helps! By the way our test pull over 20 miles with the 2011 F250 and Alpine 3640RL averaged 13 mpg. That was with some hills even.
rgwilliams69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
BMcCutcheon

I have a 2004 F250 with a 5.4L V8 with Airbags and a Superchip Kit installed. With the Superchip set for heavy towing my Outback 31KFW Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler pulls like a dream. Even when fully loaded (10.5K) I have had no problems. I have pulled non-stop from Atlanta -Dallas Tx 3 times with absolutely no issues. Even Atlanta-Bowling Green KY over the Mountains with no issues. Transmission Temps have never been exceeded even in the hottest weather. With the Superchip I'm getting 8 to 9 MPG when towing.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Bigsky3625

Smile

I will share our experience.
Bought a 28' TT (rated 1/2 ton towable at 5k pounds) Then traded in our 1997 Suburban gas 1/2 ton (too any miles and worked too hard pulling) for a 2011 Silverado 2500 Gasser. Pulled the trailer with ease.

If I would have done better homework we would have bought the 3500 Silverado diesel.

So guess what? Several months ago we did that to get our 5er.

Just a suggestion, think safety. Think torque and wear and tear.

Go bigger first. It is OK to have too much truck. It is not OK to not have enough.

Good luck
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #25
a1albert

If you can find a good Ford V10, it should do the job. If you shift it down and wind her up she will run with the big boys. I have a 06 chev diesle and my son has a 05 ford V10, some times I lead and some times he leads. My old ford 460 would pull ok if you shifted down but I did not like to listen to it wind. Back before the diesles all you had was the 454 and the 460 and they got the job done.

Albert
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Azdryheat

Here's where I come from. I had a Ford 3/4 7.5L gasser and pulled a 24' boat that weighed 6,000#. Going up hills was a real strain and the speed going up 6% hills was 40-45 mph. Then I bought my Duramax. Same hills, same boat, but now I'm easily doing the 60 mph speed limit, with the cruise engaged, and not even thinking there's a boat back there.

Then I got my Everest, I've taken it up those same 6% hills as the boat and the Duramax, with the Everest behind, tows at 45mph. I used to get

To sum up: Duramax with 14,000# 5th wheel tows uphill at the same speed and effort as a Ford 7.5L gasser towing a 6,000# boat. I got 10 mpg towing my boat with my gas motor and 11 not towing and now get 10.5 mpg towing the Everest with the Diesel and 16 not towing. I wouldn't even consider towing my Everest with a gas motor. I might save a few bucks towing with gas but the brute power of the Diesel wins every time.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
tomsws6

My brother in law pulls about 9k with his 2500 6.0. He seems to do ok but I think we all would rather have a diesel. Im pullin 9500 with my 6.0 max in my denali but it has 410's which do make a difference. Are you going to be pulling in hills or flatland?
tomsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
SAABDOCTOR

rustymax. well see you started it now. yes bigger costs more diesel costs more the diesel fuel in some places cost more. Look at all the kenworths whites navistars macks volvo even some saabs (scania) if gas was the way to go we wouldn't be smellin diesel smoke (older stuff) the new stuff runs cleaner if you can swing the extra money and take care of it the engine will last a long time. JMHO and 5cents worth(inflation)
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Hi, I not trying to push the Cummins Diesel on you. You may be a Ford /Chevy guy and that is OK.

What I do know is that Turbo Diesel Register has a 257 page buyers guide for you to read. This is a down loadable, pdf book for you to read. I believe this will answer all your questions on Diesel trucks. Here is the link, you do not have to be a member. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...ersguide.phtml

One thing to remember is that a diesel engine, if maintain correctly will out last a gas engine by 100,000 miles. A Cummins should last to 300,000 miles until tear down and rebuild. I believe the ford and chevy diesel are in the 200,000 mile range before tear down and rebuild.
Jim W.
Sorry to say but the difference is more like 300,000 miles. The mean time to rebuild on a Cummins 5.9 is 350,000. That means that half get rebuilt before that and half after that. I think the 1st half is the hot rodders!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
rustymax. well see you started it now. yes bigger costs more diesel costs more the diesel fuel in some places cost more. Look at all the kenworths whites navistars macks volvo even some saabs (scania) if gas was the way to go we wouldn't be smellin diesel smoke (older stuff) the new stuff runs cleaner if you can swing the extra money and take care of it the engine will last a long time. JMHO and 5cents worth(inflation)
Yes Diesel fuel cost more, and some repairs are more costly, standard maintenance is about the same.

Think about this diesel cost about 10% to 15% more than regular gas, towing I get about 12 mpg, a big gasser gets 6 mpg that is 100% more miles per gallon that is cost savings right there.

That said Diesel is not for everyone! This is a decision you need to make based on research and your comfort level. Gas powered truck can pull even larger loads just fine, they will work harder on hills.
I am in the same boat as many ex-gassers, my F250 460 (7.5L) had a tough time with hills, my 01 Ram Cummins eats them, currently at 253,000 miles and go 7,500 miles on a dino oil change, and don't need to add oil between changes.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #30
SAABDOCTOR

RUSTYMAX If you do go the diesel route the Ford 6.0 has had some crazy issues. with the wrong oil filters and you may have an issue withthe ficomthat runs the injectors. i don't work on many diesel trucks but my friends that work for ford say to stay away from that motor good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
Ruffus

Exclamation Lot to think about

Well Rustymax, sounds like you have a lot to think about. I was a Dodge man for twenty years, always gas. For the last 20 years I've been a Ford man except for 6 months when I bought a Chevy. I pulled my first fifthwheel for 189,000 miles with a 1990 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 including a trip from Colorado to Fairbanks Alaska and back. Got 15 MPG towing and never had a problem. The only Diesel ever owned is my current 06 F250 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. I pull a 38 foot Copper Canyon 360 QDS. I've had to replace the Turbo Charger, Head Gaskets, EGR Oil Cooler and valve and a few other things. It runs like a brand new truck now ($8,700's later luckly had an extended warranty) but I only get between 8 and 9.6 MPG. If your going to buy a Diesel take a good look at the Dodge. Cummings have been around forever. With gas being cheaper than diesel I'm really thinking about going back to gas since they get about the same MPG that I'm currently getting. Hey just my 2 cents worth.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #32
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Well Rustymax, sounds like you have a lot to think about. I was a Dodge man for twenty years, always gas. For the last 20 years I've been a Ford man except for 6 months when I bought a Chevy. I pulled my first fifthwheel for 189,000 miles with a 1990 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 including a trip from Colorado to Fairbanks Alaska and back. Got 15 MPG towing and never had a problem. The only Diesel ever owned is my current 06 F250 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. I pull a 38 foot Copper Canyon 360 QDS. I've had to replace the Turbo Charger, Head Gaskets, EGR Oil Cooler and valve and a few other things. It runs like a brand new truck now ($8,700's later luckly had an extended warranty) but I only get between 8 and 9.6 MPG. If your going to buy a Diesel take a good look at the Dodge. Cummings have been around forever. With gas being cheaper than diesel I'm really thinking about going back to gas since they get about the same MPG that I'm currently getting. Hey just my 2 cents worth.
Well diesel may cost more than gas, but only about 10% to 15% more, and most diesels get far better fuel mileage empty, they really shine when towing, getting up to twice the mileage as a gas rig, that is something to think about.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote