Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
lisak119

Newbie Alert...Where is the converter?

I am VERY new to RVing and to Fifth Wheels and already find myself with an issue:

I am plugged into shore power full-time but my battery keeps going dead. I am not sure if my converter is bad or if I am even connected to it because I can't find it. I recently bought a 2005 Montana 3650RK and the owner didn't give me much information. It worked fine for a week or 2 and now every other day I have a dead battery.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
lisak119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
edstep

Smile

I would check the fuses on your converter
Old 09-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Htfiremedic

Not sure about yours, however, mine in my Fuzion is behind the air intake for my heater. This also has access from the underbelly storage. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The converter that you can't find is a part of the electrical distribution box. That's the black box mounted along the floor with the door that opens to reveal your 120VAC circuit breakers and your 12VDC fuses. Between those two, the breakers and fuses, you'll find two 40 amp maxi fuses (green) tucked away towards the back. Those are the fuses edstep recommended you check.

If they are good, check to make sure your battery cells are filled with distilled water. If all the cells look good, you may well have a bad battery. Some of the older converters did not have a trickle charge capability and would continue to charge the battery at a level that would "boil" the water out of the batteries, overcharge the battery and destroy it. So, if it won't hold a charge in the RV, take it out, have it checked for a bad cell (or more) and replace as needed.

My bet, if as you say, it's a 2005 model, your battery is shot.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Cnc_hemi

Battery

Check and make sure your disconnect switch is off/on. If its off the converter will not charge it, even if its on shore power. Some units have an inline fuze between the converter and battery. One simple way to see if its charging is to disconnect the battery and check the leads coming in have 12v. If your converter was bad you would have no 12v power any where. On most campers all lighting is 12v. So if your battery is dead the converter will still supply power to the rv when you are plugged in to shore. Good luck hope you get it fixed.
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
lisak119

Thanks y'all. We found the converter and the fuses are fine. We charged the battery and had full power. A couple days later...Same thing...dead battery. The converter is showing that it has power but not getting to the battery. I can't find the on/off switch that Cnc-hemi was talking about. Where would that be? Thanks again!
lisak119 is offline   Reply With Quote