Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
wpolderman

Which t-v antenna conections are which?

We have just purchased a 08 Montana 3400RL. There are 3 available places to attach our coaxle cable to behind our t-v in the living room. Does anyone know which is for the air antenna and which for the cable and what is the other one for? Thanks for your help!
wpolderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
kc9ojn

My gess would be one is for satellite, one is cable/antenna and the last could be a jumper for the bedroom tv. Just a gess without seeing anything.

Good luck, I would hook up a tv and do a scan, see if you get anything. Make sure to find the booster some are in the bedroom others are by the main tv.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2
28 Nights in 2008
25 Nights in 2009
20 Nights in 2010
20 Nights in 2011
15 Nights in 2012
40 Nights in 2013
30 Nights in 2014
Me
DW
DD
DD
DMom
Keeda 90 pound German/husky(security system)
Molly the Chug DMom's Dog
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...7f5964d9da.jpg
kc9ojn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
kc9ojn

Just saw your other post, most flat screens are digital ready, if its tube 90% of them are not. I would ask the former owner if he had dish network. If he did pull the buster out and make sure all the wires are in the right spot. The dish tech may have configured them different.
Good luck

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2
28 Nights in 2008
25 Nights in 2009
20 Nights in 2010
20 Nights in 2011
15 Nights in 2012
40 Nights in 2013
30 Nights in 2014
Me
DW
DD
DD
DMom
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
wpolderman

That's the difficult thing. You don't know what someone else has changed in your r-v. I don't see anything obvious. The main t-v is a flat screen and the bedroom one says it is digital. I just wish these r-v's would come from the factory with the connections marked. I had the booster turned on so I know that wasn't the problem. I preformed the channel scan on both t-v's and nothing came in. We are in a area where there should be lots of channels coming in.

Is there a way to have Direct T-V work in the bedroom too? We had it in our last camper in the main t-v but it didn't work in the bedroom.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
rclark

We have Directv in living room. The sat. control is in the bedroom, but we were told by tech who installed the satellite that it does require another direct tv receiver for bedroom. We rarely use the bedroom tv, so have not put another receiver in. We have used the tv antenna for the bedroom tv and it works good with the booster on. Tech also said that factory cable will not work for satellite, even though it says sat prep. on the RV. Good Luck.

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
wpolderman

In other words, I cannot hook up my Direct T-V cable to the satellite connection on the outside of the camper?

I just talked to the previous owner who owned this fifth wheel from 6 months after the first owner and he said the outside antenna never worked. That leads me to believe that the antenna is faulty.

How to you get to talk to a tech person? You wouldn't happen to know the phone number or where I could find it do you?

I sure appreciate your help with this. I just didn't know where to start looking for solutions to this problem.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
kc9ojn

Direct requires a box at each TV that can be complicated in an RV. Dish on the other hand has receivers that can do 2 TV’s with one box. If you have a local Dish or Direct rep , well even a cable guy should have the stuff to trace the lines ,if you flash some cash and an hr of time all will be a lot clearer . As far as the cable not being up to snuff that depended on the system and if the installer wants to mess with the RV wiring. It can be a pain in the rear sometimes getting it all to work the way you want it using the wiring in the RV, but if you don’t want them putting holes they have to make it work or pass up the job. Are you camping in IL any time soon. I probably could help you out. Oh and I say Local reps as far as the Dish and Direct because they normally not always but normally have more patience and take the time to do things right.
28 Nights in 2008
25 Nights in 2009
20 Nights in 2010
20 Nights in 2011
15 Nights in 2012
40 Nights in 2013
30 Nights in 2014
Me
DW
DD
DD
DMom
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
wpolderman

Thanks for your help. I will see if I can find a cable t-v guy who wants some extra cash and wants to work on it.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Jim Dow

Klein Coax Tracer

Before you attempt to do anything with your installed coax cable system, I would suggest that you purchase a Klein Coax Tracer (picture) at either Lowes or Home Depot and trace your coax cables - it's quite easy.

Once you know which cables are which, you may need to rewire them; because you probably don't know what someone else has done before you.

There is a paper on the forum entitled "Rewiring Your Coach (RV) for Satellite Use". This is probably necessary to allow the satellite signal to be routed around the antenna amp, assuming that you still want your antenna/amp to function.

I accomplished the rewiring task in about 4 hours (including tracing the coax); and everything works fine. I am using the Dish Tailgater unit, and I can switch from the Tailgater to antena and back again without a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klein Coax Tracer.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Coax Rewire.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	3343  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Here's how my three jacks in the living room were wired at the factory.

One of the them has a little pushbutton that lights up a little red or green light. This is the preamp. Its jack is the one that you hook your TV's "antenna" jack to. Label it TV.

Of the remaining two jacks, one goes to the jack outside for the cable/sat connection, and the other connects behind the preamp. You can buy a coax tracer---or simply unscrew the jack plates and wiggle a pair of cables to quickly deduce which one is which.

Label the one that goes outside "Input" and connect your cable/sat box's input jack to it. The remaining jack is the "Output" and, not surprisingly, connects to the box's output.

If you want to use cable without an external box, simply connect a short jumper between the Input and Output jacks.

To use the roof antenna, the little light MUST be ON. To use satellite or cable, the light must be off. If the light is on and the antenna still doesn't work, the antenna head (the thing on the end of the mast) is probably fried and needs to be replaced for around $40.

Note that under this setup, the bedroom set either receives the antenna signal (if the pushbutton/light is on) otherwise the same cable/sat channel as the living room. So you only need one cable/sat box, which controls both sets.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
wpolderman

On our Montana, the booster with the little light is in the bedroom closet. In the living room there are two plates. The top one has two coax connections, the bottom one has one. The factory told me the bottom one is for the bedroom and I don't understand how that is supposed to be hooked up. We did find that the wiring coming into the camper seemed to be wired wrong. It's behind the bedroom t-v. We found that through process of elimination. Now both t-v's work but I don't know how we will wire it for our dish. It sure would be helpful to have the coax tracer. We might have to invest in that.
Thanks for your help!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Pmedic4

Antenna wiring diagram

I had asked this question on one of the forums several months ago, and someone gave a good explanation, and how the wiring works. On my last trip, I was going through some of the paperwork, and actually Keystone had sent a Coax wiring diagram, so I should have checked more closely - Duh!

The wiring does seem a little convoluted, as the Antenna coax feed comes in an d goes to the outlet in the bedroom jack where it is boosted, and then split for the bedroom and the living room jacks. The other input coax, goes first to the Living room, and there is a short jumper to go back to the bedroom jack, so there are those 2 coax jacks in addition to the rooftop antenna coax jack.

Regardless, I'm underwhelmed by the TV reception - even bought and installed a new King RV JACK replacement head, and still don't get any channels. I might do some further diagnostics, and replace the standard Amplifier with the one that came with the Jack replacement head - of course, checking connections as I go.
Of course, it's easier now with the discovered antenna wiring diagram.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote