Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Rndlrsn

Springdale 247 weight distribution

I recently bought a new 247 FWRLLS. I don't get to pull it for another month but am very interested to know where the fresh water weight is distributed comparing empty to full. 56 gallons between Hot water tank and fresh is a lot of weight. Does anyone know how much full tanks add to hitch weight?
Rndlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
TomHaycraft

If you find out, post it here!

Seriously though, I've got the same model, called Keystone with the question with hopes of getting some form of diagram from them. No such luck. The lady on the phone tried reading/describing from what she could see in a diagram she pulled up on her computer, but wasn't entirely sure. I've not had a reason to drop the coroplast, but one day curiosity (or a real need!) will get the better of me.

My best guess based on where the fresh water drain is and location of the sewer lines is that the fresh and black tanks may be over the axle to just in front. The gray water from the shower and bathroom sink may be forward of these and the galley gray water to the rear, but those are total guesses!

As to weight change, I've weighed mine on two occasions now, but both with about 1/3 full of fresh water. I can tell you that the overall balance of the 247FWRLLS leaves the pin weight a bit light. I'm only at 17% of the trailer's weight, many experienced 5er owners on these forums recommend 20 to 25% carried by the kingpin.

Regardless, I'm happy with how mine tows. Good luck with yours, let us know if you find anything!
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The black tank should be directly below the toilet. If you look down the toilet and can see the contents of the tank, there's no 45* bends in the plumbing, so the tank is "right there" The fresh water tank is directly above the fresh water drain (which is in the lower front corner of the tank on the driver's side) If you locate those two tanks, "usually" they will reveal that there is only twp places left for the gray tanks (there are two). I'd think that by logical deduction, their location "must be" in specific spots under the RV. They can't sit on top or under the space taken by the other FW and black tank, so it should be pretty easy to surmise the only logical spots where they would fit. I'm guessing, one between the FW and black tank (shower) and one just behind the FW for the kitchen. You probably can see the 1.5" drain from the gray tanks by pulling down the driver's side of the coroplast and shining a light into the belly. If you "surmise" correctly, you should only have to remove 1 or 2 screws to pull down a small section to peek into the belly.

Keystone builds the weight balance light (so they can market to the half ton crowd). My 242 "specs" at 14.9% pin weight empty from the factory. Loaded for travel with two batteries, full propane and FW tank, it's closer to 18%. I'd have to load the bedroom pretty darn heavy to get above 20%. I don't think there's enough space to load that much without making conscious decisions to "overload" the storage spaces in the bedroom.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
mhs4771

On our Montana the fresh water tank was at the rear of the unit. On our present SOB all tanks are under the basement area.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Rndlrsn

It sounds like I"ll have to wait until we can do a weekend test drive. If it would ever quit snowing and freezing on weekends I can fill it with water and find out.I didn't want to puy more glycol in just to find out. Thanks for the replies. I will post an answer when I know for sure.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Rndlrsn

2012 Springdale 247FWRLLS weights

This week I picked up my trailer and loaded it for the season.I thought I would share how much the water added to the pin weight on my trailer. I filled up with 50 gallons of fresh water and found no real difference. I went over the scales twice because I couldn't believe it. The FW tank must be right over the back axles because my loaded weight on the axles went from 5974 lbs to 6459 lbs. 50 US gallons of water weighs about 417 lbs so at the very most the water added about 50 lbs to the pin weight.
I hope other 247 owners can use this info.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
TomHaycraft

Good to know, thanks for the update!
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote