Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
PND

Rear drag skids

Picked up our new 358RLT yestereay. The new Pullrite Superslide worked like a dream. BUT one problem!!! While pulling out of a service station after fueling the truck, my nice new rear bumper scaped on the exit ramp. Lost one of the caps. When we got home found the damage. Touched up the bottom with primer and paint, but need to add something to prevent this from happening again. I am thinking of welding a metal skip bar on the mounting frame for the bumper. Looked at bolt on wheels, but think they would hang too low, and don't think bolting onto the bumper is a good idea - they are thin and not designed to carry the weight of the trailer. A skid bar is a sacrificial piece and can be replaced if needed. Anyone had similar problems and solutions??

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Poppy's 5th Wheel

I had the same problem. I ordered these roller skids from Tweety's and had a welder who does a lot of work on trailers weld them on. Our trailer also has the spare tire mounted on the bumper and it would hit so he modified the tire mount so it carried higher. It all works well.

2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
PND

Thanks Poppy. Will look into those. My main concern is that I am just short of 38 feet, and weight in at just under 12,500, that the weight won't do any damage to the frame rails. Our first "new" RV, so a little nervous about damaging it.

PND
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

PND -

If you plan going on any trips that involve taking the Washington State Ferries, then you need to be aware of the incline of the ferry ramp when it is loading/unloading. There are times, especially at low tide and on some of the ferry runs, when the ramp is quite steep. Being a short ramp, it may cause the rear end of RV's to bottom out and scrape - particularly when driving off the ferry. My advice would be to take it slow and easy in these instances.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
PND

Great tip on the ferries!! As far as possible trips to the islands, have a great aunt that lives on Orcas. If we go, would probably just stay with her. With a 38 foot 5er and a crew cab Silverado, just studder at what that would cost for ferry fare.

PND
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
PND

Question? Poppy, what size are they in your picture. I found some that are 2x2 and one that is 2x3. Think the 3 inch tall wheel would be best. Any thoughts?

PND
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
gearhead

I had those same rollers installed when we bought the Cougar 28SGS. I was worried about dragging on my driveway from the street. The dealer welded them to my bumper. My bumper to frame connection has a 2x4 channel welded to the bottom frame flange. The bumper is butt welded to the extension. The rollers are welded to the bumper at that extension/bumper connection. Hopefully it's strong enough.
My rollers are about 2" wide. I pumped them with grease then painted them black; mostly so I could tell if/when they had scraped.
Maybe some pics when we get back home.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
PND

Yes, was going to get the 2 inch wide, but the height is what I'm not sure about. There is a 2 inch tall and a 3 inch tall. Was leaning towards the 3 inch one. Just sold our old trailer last night. The new owners will be picking it up tonight. Will seem a little strange, watching it drive away without us. Had that trailer for 10 great years.

PND
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PND View Post
Yes, was going to get the 2 inch wide, but the height is what I'm not sure about. There is a 2 inch tall and a 3 inch tall. Was leaning towards the 3 inch one. Just sold our old trailer last night. The new owners will be picking it up tonight. Will seem a little strange, watching it drive away without us. Had that trailer for 10 great years.

PND
I think mine are 3". I can't remember but if you check the product description (or call Paktron direct) I think for your size 5th wheel I would also get the larger roller. If you notice on my installation, the length of the mounting brackets were cut down to fit my application. I wanted the largest, most robust roller assembly. Also, what can't be seen is that my installer also welded a new cross support from side to side to eliminate any torque if say one roller makes contact and the other doesn't. I don't know about your 5th but my High Country is pretty flimsy back there.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote