Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Roller4Tan

Abnormal tire wear

Dropped off the 5er at the dealer4 today. Curb side tire wearing crazy, front tire on the outside, rear tire on the inside. Street side front shows some wear on the inside, rear tire okay. Anyway it'll be a few days before they can look at it and give a diagnosis. Trailer out of warranty but do have Cornerstone extended (for what that's worth). Anyway the service lady(?) said it probably means the axles will have to be changed. Keep ya'll posted
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Hopefully, your Cornerstone Extended Warranty will cover all or a portion of the bill but tire wear, alignment, suspension and axle issues may not be. Might be time to read the fine print that comes with your warranty and find out if your axle and tire problem are covered. Let us know if they are.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Roller4Tan

A quick look at the Cornerstone paperwork received in the mail said it covered suspension, (axles springs shackles). I'm going to look into it further for sure.

Edit: It does say Trailer Suspension System: Coils and leaf springs, axles, spindles, supports, whell bearings(visible play only, and shackles, shackle bushings, actuators. Wheelhubs if damaged by covered compnent. It does NOT cover axle alignments, wheel balancing or tires worn by covered component.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
mhs4771

If I had to guess, sounds like a suspension problem on the curb side allowing the axles to shift putting those tires off their proper track, again only a guess.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Roller4Tan

May be just my eye but the center shackle brace did look askew to the underbelly, but the welded mounting bracket also looked skewed.
I doubt if Keystone will offer any help.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Dexter axles have a manufacturer warranty that is longer than Keystone's 1 year warranty. Go to the Dexter site, look up your axle and see just how long they warranty your axle. You may find, as others have, that Dexter will send you new axles under that warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Roller4Tan

Dealer is going to replace the axles and try and get Cornerstone to foot the bill. Now we wait for that to happen.. been a week so far.
I should be campin'
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Roller4Tan

Some good news, Cornerstone has agreed to replace the axles and pay the labor to do it(6 hours??). I also asked if I upgrade the axles can I pay the difference. He said no problem as long as the dealer states that on the bill they submit to them. SO, I'll upgrade the axles and have them change the shackles and use wet bolts. Now I also need to buy new tires. Still an expensive 2nd year on a new trailer.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Roller4Tan

Couldn't find my posts earlier, anyway an update:
They replaced the axles which included springs and brakes less $100 deductible. I didn't upgrade the axles because they had the dang thing for too long as it was. I had to buy new tires, they wouldn't cover them.
I just ordered a wet bolt kit from lippert,will install them when they arrive. Also purchase a TS TPMS 501 kit for the new tires. Will probably still upgrade the axles when we get back to Michigan.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
Jim Dow

Nearly New Power King Tires Available

In January 2013 I purchased a used (one owner) 2011 Montana High Country. The previous owner purchased it new in August 2012 - wanted to upgrade to a motorhome - or his wife did.

Even though the original tires had less than 1000 miles on 4 of them, I upgraded to tires today. So, I have 5 (4 driven and one unused spare) Power King ST tires available.

If interested, reply to this post with your contact info.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote