Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
kansas123

dump handle replacement

I have read a million ways and messages about replacing dump valves, but all I need to do is replace the dump valve handle. It's for the galley on my 2008 Mountaineer, it has come off. might have unscrewed or might have broken. I am guess you must undo the covering below where the valve (between the tires on the passenger side), but want to be sure. How difficult is this? Thanks in Advance.
kansas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas123 View Post
I have read a million ways and messages about replacing dump valves, but all I need to do is replace the dump valve handle. It's for the galley on my 2008 Mountaineer, it has come off. might have unscrewed or might have broken. I am guess you must undo the covering below where the valve (between the tires on the passenger side), but want to be sure. How difficult is this? Thanks in Advance.
You should be able to remove 3 or 4 of the screws holding the coroplast belly cover without any difficulty. The edge of the coroplast should be loose enough for you to pull it down an inch or so and look up in there with a flashlight. At that point, you should be able to see the valve and determine if the handle broke off or if it just unthreaded itself and fell off. It the stud coming out of the valve that the handle screws onto is broken, then you are in for a full valve replacement. If it just unthreaded yourself, then the extensions and handles are available all over the net. RV dealers parts counters will have them, too.

The other option is to cut a flap in the coroplast (3 sided) and then look up in there. Gorilla tape will work fine to re-secure the flap. If you have to replace the valve and want to do the work yourself, you'll need to cut the flap anyway.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
kansas123

Thanks

Thanks for your instructions!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Jay Pat

Your title says handle. I'm thinking the part you hold in your hand.
It screws on the shaft/rod.
The threaded part could have come out with the handle as it a short threaded rod. There would be only a hole in the end of the shaft/rod.
Which is it?
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
kansas123

Oh that's right

What I have is the t-handle and the end is female with threads. I 'chased' the threads with a die and just was looking for the right way to try and re-attach it or re-attach a new one. The end does look suspicious like it might be broken off, but hoping it isn't. Clear as mud? If i had the handle here i would photo it but left it with the camper yesterday.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
raytronx

All three of my handles ended up breaking. I replaced the plastic ones with some nice brushed grey aluminum. 2 grey handles and put black tape in the black tank one. They just threaded on as there was no damage to the threads. They feel much sturdier.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
rode2nowhere

where did you get the aluminum handles?
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Htfiremedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rode2nowhere View Post
where did you get the aluminum handles?
Second that question. Did you make them or buy them?
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Jay Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas123 View Post
What I have is the t-handle and the end is female with threads. I 'chased' the threads with a die and just was looking for the right way to try and re-attach it or re-attach a new one. The end does look suspicious like it might be broken off, but hoping it isn't. Clear as mud? If i had the handle here i would photo it but left it with the camper yesterday.
One drop of blue locktite on the threads and screw it on, snug.
Just, don't use the red Locktite.
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

You can get them from CW and other RV suppliers.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

You can get them from nearly any RV store. Locally, they're available at most service and parts counters. If you want to see what you're looking for, use this link and it's either the plastic at the top left or the metal at the top right. If you scroll down, you'll find everything from valve repari kits to replacement valves, bowden (remote) cable actuators and most anything having to do with the "smelly end of an RV"

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RvWasteValves

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote