Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
ccmichaelson

Anyone Double Tow (5th Wheel + Boat)?

I have a 2011 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4 SRW and I'm planning to purchase a Montana High Country 333DB. Behind that 5er, I'm planning to tow a 22' ski boat (about 5,000 lbs).

There's a guy in SLC that has been installing hitch receivers for 20+ years and he's planning to install a class IV hitch + anti-sway bar as another safety precaution.

Has anyone towed anything as big or bigger (5,000 lbs or more) behind their 5er? Would love to hear your experience/guidance.
ccmichaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

5'er Towing

I bought my current truck/keystone fifth wheel specifically to be able to tow my boat (about 2000 lbs) to lakes around the area and camp while only needing one tow vehicle. Unfortunately, after getting the rig and looking at the Curt hitches for fifth wheel towing use, I noted in the Keystone warranty that any towing will void the warranty. With that in mind and after looking at this forum and some of the problems with "weak" frames, I decided that it'd probably not be wise to push the issue with Keystone. I don't want to void anything. After my warranty is expired, I'll probably reassess the situation and will probably add the hitch. I just have too much invested in the rig to void the warranty. I'll be driving two tow vehicles this summer to stay on the safe side.

Next year, I might have some information for you. I do plan to single tow this summer, then look carefully at the frame, make decisions based on what to do BEFORE the warranty expires.... If there's a problem with the frame, I certainly want to get Keystone involved before the year is up.
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
CHIPS

Triple tow

In most states that is called triple tow and is illegal
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Bushman512000

look its a train lol

I have did it for Years never stopped never...Was 62-1/2feet long ...TRUCK,TRAILER,andTAG...I pulled a closed in Cargo bike trailer with all the extra goodies also in side.I had to use a lot of caution not to get in where I coud not make a turn as in a gas stations or some camp grounds..I walked some first to see what was in the way.Just one time I did not see a cable across a road and had to unhook not bad for the years I did it.I did have to drop the tag to back in most places.I also had a sway brake and lights on the tag. Helped haveing drove Big Trucks still have My CDL AMZ lic.
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Ruffus

Talking To many toys

If you get a couple kayaks, a canoe (even an electric motor) you won't have all the headaches and stress that goes along with triple tow. other than that you should be able to tow it fine as long as the DOT in your state allows it.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Ive done it plenty. 71' bumper to bumper. Pulled 2 jetskis behind my previous toy hauler.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
highrider

Who is your guy in slc that will do the hitch?

I am thinking about the same thing as you (22' ski boat in a double tow), but am weighing out the pros and cons for now (and probably through this winter). I would love to hear what you do and how it worked out as well as what your welder/ hitch guy has to do to get it done correctly.
-Who knows what's more to come...
highrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
LittleJoe

In most states that is called triple tow and is illegal

Triple tow refers to 3 trailers IIRC.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Bushman512000

3 is 3 2 is 2??

how do You get 3 trailers out of 2? 1st is the 5er 2is the Boat where is 3?????I am or Are You?
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

I would think it's called tandem! but i really have no idea if it is leagel or not
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

It is legal in Michigan. Max combined length is 65' and the first trailer must be a fifth wheel/gooseneck. There is a mandatory driver's license endorsement: "R" which requires a written test, no driving test and the second trailer must have safety chains attaches at the outermost points on the tow vehicle ( fifth wheel) There are other requirements, but they are, for the most part, compliance issues, not safety or operation issues.

We tow our bass boat behind the fifth wheel within Michigan, but would not consider towing on one of our lengthy summer jaunts. There are a number of websites which list trailer towing laws for each state and each province in Canada. One of the entries on most is double trailer towing. It is listed as "yes/no" on most of the sites. Some people "risk" towing through states which do not allow it, hoping they don't get stopped. I've heard of people being stopped, forced to unhitch the second trailer and either leave it or have it towed by a professional tow company. As I said, I haven't towed outside Michigan simply because I know it's legal here and I'm not so sure about other places.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
gkainz

Total length and driver certification varies from some state to state.
Legal in "most" states, mostly not legal on east coast states.

Google "RV double tow state laws" as my thumbs are not performing well on the iPhone tonight.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #13
billy49

Boat loader

I am checking on boat loader,I have a 14 ft. jon boat I am going to use,I have a 4hp merc for power it only weighs 55 lb I put it in the basement,I was going to pull my bass tracker,but I was 70 ft and it looked like a train.Just something to think about.
Billy

Billy and Carol
Jonesboro,Ga.
2005 Everest 293p
2007 Dodge 3500 Dually
billy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Billy, I know where you're coming from with the "train". That's one of the reasons we went with the rig we have, My 242 is 26' long. Although I see people on the road with 35+ foot fifth wheels towing everything from V nose enclosed trailers to pontoon boats in excess of 25', it's pretty easy to see that they are taking up much more than 65' of highway. I'm sort of suprised, in this day of decreased funding that the state police haven't zeroed in on this easy way to increase revenue. My guess, it's only a matter of time until that happens.

As I said, with our 26' RV and the bass tracker behind it, I'm at 65'. No way could I feel comfortable with another 10' of trailer and 3 or 4' more truck and the boat too.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
3P'sInACougar

Hello in Michigan you can be 75 feet long nose to tail. Also u need a class a cdl with doubles endorsement or a recrecational doubles endorsement. I've done it before with my scamper. Just make sure hitch is attached to the Frame of the trailer. It is very hard to back up so don't get your self into a dead end. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
tomsws6

It illegal here in delaware unless you have your cdl double endorsment.
tomsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote