Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Nick & Gia's Trailer

Low Point Drain

For all of you experienced 5th Wheelers. Today I went to flush and sanitize my fresh water tank and opened the low point drains on my Cougar 29 RLS. I was surprised when very little water drained. I found that I had to turn on my water pump to drain the water.

This would run the tank dry and pump would still be on if not watching. I thought that running pump dry is a NO-NO.

All previous TT's would drain completely without pump.

Again just asking, is this normal?

Thanks
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
gkainz

I suspect what you experienced is due to "low point drains" not "fresh water tank" drains - all assumptions withstanding.

One set of drains on my Laredo appear to be tank drains, as they'll run until the tank is empty, while the forward set run just a little - indicating to me that they're just low point line drains.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I suspect what you experienced is due to "low point drains" not "fresh water tank" drains - all assumptions withstanding.
One set of drains on my Laredo appear to be tank drains, as they'll run until the tank is empty, while the forward set run just a little - indicating to me that they're just low point line drains.
I agree here the low point drains should have had very little water in them. Next time try opening your faucets, this will allow water to escape from the system. There should be two low points drains side by side. the water tank drain is directly under the water tank. my low point drains are under the axles.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Nick & Gia's Trailer

low point drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
I agree here the low point drains should have had very little water in them. Next time try opening your faucets, this will allow water to escape from the system. There should be two low points drains side by side. the water tank drain is directly under the water tank. my low point drains are under the axles.
randy

I have read your posts and have opened the faucets. Drains are by axle and side by side. No other drains visible. Still the same.
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
hankaye

Nick & Gia's Trailer, Howdy;

My fresh water drain is near the rear, driver's side.
see my signature to see model, yours may be in a different
place due the differences between models. I would suggest
looking near the tank filler.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

If you are trying to winterize by just opening the low point drains it will not work. Because of all the twists and turns of the Pex tubing it will not drain completely. When the lines were full if you opened the drains and then the farthest faucet most of the water would have siphoned out. (But not all) Blowing the system out with compressed air or pumping "Pink Stuff" through all fixtures is the only sure way to winterize. Even if you blow out the lines be sure to put antifreeze into all the traps and toilet and draining the waste tanks so the dump valves don't freeze. I don't know about you but I am not ready for winter yet ... but my trailer is. JM2¢, Hank ............................ The drain for the freshwater tank should be within a few feet of the filler for that tank .... of course you will have to crawl under the trailer to reach it. It looks the same as the two you did find. Mine is right next to the slideout so I can bump my head while draining.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote