Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
idaho elk hunter

Cold inside 2007 srx-dry camp advise

hi, new here first post

we have a 2007 31srx small toy hauler in back.
the problem is the thing is cold. here is what i have done .
added 2" r-10 board insulation underneath. enclosed tanks, added heat tape and pads. foamed all of the many air leaks underneath. sealed up the a/c vent and air ducts. foam rubber pads around slide.
this thing is cold. i dont run the propane heater, it sucks too much battery. i added a wave-8 heater, it works great, but im trying to keep it semi-warm without running it.
2 days ago it was 23 outside in the am, 38 inside , what else can i do ?
idaho elk hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Ruffus

Cool Question

Hey Idaho Elk Hunter, if you added heat tape to tour tanks then you must be plugged into 115 volt. If so then your propane heater won't pull down you batteries unless they are bad.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
idaho elk hunter

im trying to keep it as warm as possable, inside without running any heaters. the added tank heaters are so i can heat the tanks and dump them if they do freeze. im trying to find ways to keep the inside heat in.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Maintaining 15° above outside temp overnight with just body heat sounds pretty good to me. Don't wait till your tanks freeze before heating or you will not have valves when you go to dump. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Bushman512000

Heat

Well any white buts Yet? I am a hunter of sorts Bear,Deer,Cyote,Geese,Turkey,Rabbits. Have You a generater?Your battery Should last a full night then recharge it do not trust the MICKEY MOUSE panel in the RV I did years ago and seen the dead battery at 2:00AM 2nd night out tied in the truck till morning then let the games begin started the Honda charged up the batt.bank and that takes a while but was never cold again that was in mid Dec.I have a solor panel also for helping the Batt. Bank stay upHave a great day and a great hunt ..Bushman (John)
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
mikell

Some solar panels and fans to move the heat around. 8k of heat ought to keep the place warm. You need to run it or dress for the weather. When I bought my golf cart for the farm people had a fit because I bought electric but when I hit the woods all the batteries went with me. with a couple of panels I could go 2 weeks no problem. Make sure you have a battery CO2 decetor but the heater should have a built in system.

ETA The money and effort spent on insulation would buy a lot of propane
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

You might want to look into the Mr. Heater line of propane heaters. They can be used indoors providing you have sufficient fresh air supply for the size of room. They have a low oxygen shut-off and come in two sizes: Mr. Buddy (single burner) and Mr. Heater Big Buddy (double burner). Try visiting their website to find out more about them.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Do you have plenty of sunlight? I read a thread on RV.net where a guy was using flat-black painted cardboard; hung about an inch from his windows; covering most of them except an inch at the top and an inch at the bottom.

The cardboard would heat up and cause a convection current from the bottom to the top and heat up the camper quite well he said.

He probably did a much better job of describing it.. Might want to search over there.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
idaho elk hunter

today i removed the garage wall panels , added 1 1/2 r-max . weather stripped the door and added a threshhold and door sweep. going to cut some "foamular" 2 inch foamboard pices to fit the skylight and vent holes. weatherstrip the slide better. im still open for more weatherproofing ideas. how about insulating the slide area ideas?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Bushman512000

And what happens a dark...Cold no sun

also did You get a big white butt?any siteings move about looking and You may stay warm also how many tags to fill never elk hunted but have seen many they seem to just stand there and look back at You like a cow not a lot of sport to it where do You hunt the elk Mich.?good luck with the weather proofing Your rig..Bushman
Old 09-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
idaho elk hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512000 View Post
also did You get a big white butt?any siteings move about looking and You may stay warm also how many tags to fill never elk hunted but have seen many they seem to just stand there and look back at You like a cow not a lot of sport to it where do You hunt the elk Mich.?good luck with the weather proofing Your rig..Bushman
not got elk this year yet. not sure were talking about the same animals, the elk butts here are orangeish.and they dont stand here and look at you. when i got home last week , that night there was 7 elk on my propery. then about 2 am the bull was bugling quite a bit.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
Bushman512000

yep same Elk

In Mich.where I see them they are not to skiddish the Butts are a off white to Me Just the way they look.Very erie sound in the night I never seen any in Canada We have the Moose they I think are a bit bigger and are like a white tail deer run at any motion the Moose will charge a man also I have hunted them with no luck lots of work if You do get one Wish I had a area to hunt the Big ones .My Son has 65 ac.farm Deer,Turkey ponds for Ducks and Canada Geese.We go north for Bear..Well good luck hope You get one Bushman
Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
a1albert

I would think you could only insulate so much. I would get a generator and charge your battery and run eletric heaters if generator will handle the load until bed time then turn on your furnance. I have only stayed in tents while Elk hunting. We use wood stoves and I have stayed warm at 12 degrees and ran out of a tent at 17 degrees when a guy cranked the stove up in the middle of the night. I guess you could fix a small elk tent off the front door and put a wood stove in the tent and draw the heat into your trailer. I will be east of Cascade Idaho hunting elk on Oct 12th.

Albert