Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Bushman512000

new here need some help about My 5er

Bought a 2008 Cougar 276RLS any others with same?any advice and mods to make ? bring it on lol Thanks so much Bush
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Quiroule

Welcome to the 5er world. Here is what I would suggest:

• Get each the wheels balanced.
• Add a SteadyFast system for to get rid of movements when parked.
• I have added shocks and notice quite a difference, things remain put inside.

You may want to check the Cougar High Country social group for some mod.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Bushman512000

Hello from Ontario

Thanks for the information can You tell more about shocks where to buy and the greese spring mounts I want to install this on My unit for sure was it hard to do and where to buy and price Please I am handy and would like to try to inprove My 2008 Cougar Thanks in advance Bushman....
Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Quiroule

I bought the bolts with grease fitting at a local shop building trailler, installing itches and stuf like that.

As for the shocks, while I did not buy the shocks from them check the following site. The instructions for buying and installing are goods.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm

Since my frame is an Hi Beam type, I bought 4 pieces or rectangular steel tube, 1 x 2 inches, 5 inches long. I fixed each one to the frame using 4 steel bolts 1 ½ x ¼ inches. I drilled the ½ inch hole for the shocks in the middle of the tubes, using a column drill to make sure that my holes were at 90 degrees. I had to buy shorter bolts for the top of the shocks.

To be sure the alignment remains unchanged I carefully marked the position of the axle to the spring, front to back, side to side. I lowered the axel on block, until there was little pressure from the spring. Checked torque on the U bolds while removing them and re-torque to that same value after installation.

The rest is strait forward.

Have fun

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Bushman512000

thanks for the reply

Quiroule thanks for the information I also found some info at MoreRide site they sell a lot of stuff so I sent a e-mail next week they will get to it closed for weekend ...John
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
therink

Congrats on the new to you rv. The first thing I recommend is to install wet bolt kit on spring shackles, brass bushings and install a decent equalizer. I replaced my stock junk with Dexter EZ Flex Suspension with the wet bolts. I installed it with my son, took about 12 hrs start to finish (8 hrs on the first side, second side was easier on the learn as I go instruction program I used). A remarkable improvement in the way the fiver handles and one less thing to worry about.
Next, if you have Chinese tires that are over 3 years old, replace them without question. I replaced my 3 year old factory installed 15 " Towmax D's with 15" Maxxis Load Range E's. Another noticeable handling and confidence improvement.
Next, inspect all caulked joints top to bottom. I recently used Eternabond on all roof seams. I visually inspect all other caulked areas on a regular basis. I read too many horror stories about leaks/delamination, etc. I have too much $ wrapped up in the rig to just assume it is built to last. Many people make this mistake then bash the manufacturer for building c**p.
Last, keep it clean and good coat of wax once/yr.
The only other mods I have made are interior shelving upgrades, oxygenics shower head, various hooks, towel bars, etc.
I am happy with my Keystone product.
Good luck and have fun.
Let me know if any questions.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
Quiroule

Very good advices therink,

I have 15’’ Towmax D tires which are in their third years of use, but they are only half gone. Do-you really mean that I should replace them next spring?

And why go from load range D to E?

What’s the price of the Maxxis you bought?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
dave-g

On this and all sites you will hear a lot of bashing of Chinese tires. Which is what 99% of the trailers come with. I guess I'm not much of a fan ( of any thing from china) but the tires are not as bad as you would think.

IMO you need to check you tire pressure EVERY day you are traveling. And you should do a trailer walk around at every gas stop/break and look and and feel the tires. I run my tires at max pressure all the time. It makes them run cooler. I also keep a good digital pressure gauge handy.

Trailer tires are usually bad from age before they wear out. And should be replace every 3-5 years. Even if they have no mileage on them.

This is whats going on my toy hauler next.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...read=XPS%20RIB

enjoy your new trailer-
+1 on the steady fast system.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Bushman512000

I have to wait trailer not home yet...

Thanks Steve where did You get the up grade wet bolts from?did You change the works every bolt and the triangle hanger as well?wet is the way to go any idea of cost ?Was it a kit?Where did You get the needed parts? I will make that mod as soon as I can I broke down from shackle ware once and never again cost $750. and 3 days not again.So I am digging for information .Are 10ply tires made in 15"? and not off shore? I may have to buy 16"rims also then BFG Comercial steer or rib tires had them on the last 5er great tire made in our country also Canada or USA!! sorry for all the questions but things I need to find out and You may have the input I need thank You in advance John
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
therink

I bought my wet bolt and equalizer kit from Dexter right off their website. I can't remember exactly, but I think the whole kit was around $175. I borrowed a ball joint press tool kit from Advance Auto (parts store chain in my area). This tool made removal, and installation of new bushings much easier.
As far as tires, I switched to E's because I felt that the D's were barely adequate for the weight of my rig. They always rode and looked as if they were overloaded. I bought Maxxi's (made in Taiwan), based on numerous posts on rv forums recommending the brand. Carlisle also makes a 15" E rated tire. I understand that some Carlisle tires are now made in the USA.
I thought about switching to 16" wheels, but am happy with the 15" Maxxis. I paid $169 each mounted, balanced and installed from Pep Boys.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
Lack of HP

My 2 cents on tires

I just signed the insurance check on less than 1 1/2 year old tomax tires 16 inch on my cougar. I checked them every stop, ran nitrogen in them, always at 80 psi, had them balanced. Tread came off one, did $4000. plus to the drivers side of my unit. When we removed the rest of the tires, we found a slight seperation starting on 2 others. Insurance adjuster took them to try and get back some of their claim. Said they had received over 20 claims in 2 weeks from this brand. Could be the heat, or amount of travelers, don't know, but I am glad they are off. As far as tread, you could not even tell they were worn. I went with the Maxxis as well, Hope they work. Good luck with your new purchase, and welcome to the site. HP
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Quiroule

Lak of HP, how hold were your Towmax?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Bushman512000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
Lak of HP, how hold were your Towmax?
In His message He said 1 1/2 years old
Old 08-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lack of HP View Post
I just signed the insurance check on less than 1 1/2 year old tomax tires 16 inch on my cougar. I checked them every stop, ran nitrogen in them, always at 80 psi, had them balanced. Tread came off one, did $4000. plus to the drivers side of my unit. When we removed the rest of the tires, we found a slight seperation starting on 2 others. Insurance adjuster took them to try and get back some of their claim. Said they had received over 20 claims in 2 weeks from this brand. Could be the heat, or amount of travelers, don't know, but I am glad they are off. As far as tread, you could not even tell they were worn. I went with the Maxxis as well, Hope they work. Good luck with your new purchase, and welcome to the site. HP
You are making me think about tires much earlier then planed. I was just looking at the Maxxis- they look very nice, and are rated 400 lb more in weight capacity than the XPS RIB I was looking at.

Just curious- did you change your spare tire too?
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote