Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
alpine 1

tire presser

Was reading some post on trier's and tire presser I have a 2012 3500er that come's with ST235/80R16 and call's for 80 PSI COLD but some of the guy's are puttint 62-65 PSI am i putting to mush air in ????
Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
CWtheMan

This is how it’s supposed to work. The placard found on the forward LH side of your trailer has the correct - minimum - tire pressure on it. If that placard has 80 psi on it you have no where to go but 80 psi.

The whole tire industry - cars, trucks, SUVs, motor homes and yes the big wrigs are all included in recognizing that tires operated 20% below the recommended pressure (s) found on the placarding are in a “run flat” condition. So, tires recommended to be correctly aired to 80 psi are in a “run flat” condition at 64 psi.

Bottom line, follow the recommendations found on the tire placard.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine 1 View Post
Was reading some post on trier's and tire presser I have a 2012 3500er that come's with ST235/80R16 and call's for 80 PSI COLD but some of the guy's are puttint 62-65 PSI am i putting to mush air in ????
Your friends may have tires with a different rating than yours. As mentioned above ... follow the label on YOUR trailer and the "MAX COLD INFLATION" on YOUR tires sidewall. I hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
chuck&gail

I agree with above posters IF IF IF your trailer actually is filled to its GVWR. Placard pressure is for TT loaded to GVWR.

If you actually weigh each wheel when fully loaded, there are tire tables the manufacturers put out listing the recommended pressure for given weights. Note always use the highest psi needed on a per axle basis.

Personally we have never towed a TT loaded to near its GVWR, have never inflated TT tires to the max on the sidewall, and in over 200,000 miles the only tire issues have been repairable nail punctures.

HOWEVER, when in doubt, use the maximum sidewall pressure.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
geo

Alpine1 -

Hank is correct! Don't compare your Alpine to your friends' RVs without taking into account the actual loaded weight (Chuck is very correct with his comments) or GVWR. This all folds back in to the "Load Range" stuff, though it should be Load Index Number. If nothing else, follow the Manufacturer's Recommended Tire Pressure on the posted placard. Also, measure the tire pressure before pulling the trailer more than a few feet (meters) and not when the tires have been in direct sunlight (warms them up). Some tire makers (such as Maxxiss and Goodyear) will have inflation tables with the Load Range noted for their various tire sizes. Just keep in mind, the Alpine is one heavy RV - don't compare to lighter RVs.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
outbackmac

tires

Why do we try and figure out proper tire inflation, in order to get the max out of a tire then it should be inflated to its max, that is the only way to get the fell weight capacity of ur tires
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote