Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #21
kiwi2000

Quote:
What is the load rating and pin weight, you have weighed the pin haven't you?
The pin weight of the trailer is 2100lbs. the load rating is 14,000 lbs gvwr.
The truck gvwr is 16,000.00

What do you mean have I weighed the pin?
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #22
kiwi2000

Quote:
I had the "trailer disconnected" warning and chimes a couple of times last summer. I crawled around under the back of my truck trying to find something that didn't look right. Finally, I unplugged the connecter at the very back of the bumper. It connects to the 7way/4way plug from under and behind. It was only partly plugged in, not fully seated in the plug and only one side of the lock was engaged. When I got home, I took it back apart, put a "goop-load" of di-electric grease inside that plug and reconnected it. Since then no problems with the warning or the chimes at unexpected times.
So where is this are you referring to the 7 way inside of the truck box that is is connected to the plug in the rear? There is a splitter of sorts somewhere?

I don't have the warning a few times I would say it did it about a thousand times on the return trip. On,off, on off on off

Thanks for the reply I will crawl under myself and look for something as well.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
The pin weight of the trailer is 2100lbs. the load rating is 14,000 lbs gvwr.
The truck gvwr is 16,000.00

What do you mean have I weighed the pin?
I should have been clearer with the question.

I determine Pin weight, by weighing the truck axles (both) without trailer, then attach and weigh again, any gain is the pin true weight.

The pin weight is part of the trucks Payload, so with all that is added to the truck Passengers, driver, other STUFF, and pin weight should not exceed your Payload rating. this number will be between about 2,000 to 3,000+ lbs depending on the truck.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
So where is this are you referring to the 7 way inside of the truck box that is is connected to the plug in the rear? There is a splitter of sorts somewhere?

I don't have the warning a few times I would say it did it about a thousand times on the return trip. On,off, on off on off

Thanks for the reply I will crawl under myself and look for something as well.
When you stand behind your truck, looking at the trailer hitch receiver, there is a 7pin/4pin trailer connector (mine is just to the left). The backside of this connector has either one or two connections from the vehicle wiring harness. If there is one, it is directly from the vehicle harness. If there are two, one is from the vehicle harness and one routes to the 7way connector inside the truck bed (for fifth wheel use) (actually each plugs into the other). This is the connector I'm talking about, the one that connects from the vehicle harness to the bumper 7/4way connector. Take it apart, then reattach it. Mine was only partly connected and that was what gave me the "trailer disconnected" warning. The reason for putting extra di-electric grease in the connector is to prevent corrosion. If you live where the truck is exposed to salt, you'll be better off protecting any bare metal connectors with the grease.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
TNT Miller

I'm green with envy . Really liked the mountaineer 285 but settled for the Laredo 266rl which is still at the dealer getting work done after our PDI walk through . But with all the option packages that came with the Laredo (Bigger is Better package ) and the 4 point leveling system with strong-arm stabilizers its close to what we could afford compared to the Mountaineer. Love the docking station on the 285 . We'll keep this one for a while and maybe trade up
this is our 1st 5th wheel so there is alot to learn .
So where does the name KIWI come from New Zealand maybe ?
TNT Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #26
kiwi2000

This is our first as well. You are correct there is a lot to learn but it is fun learning. Just a few things we have to clear up and we should be good to go.

We can't wait for our first real camping experience!

The strong arm system is in our must have list for next season. Apparently it is a simple bolt on.

You are one up on us with the leveling system. I am still scratching my head how to level side to side if required.

Enjoy!