Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Jim & Kay

2012 Cougar HC 291RLS 5er home at last

Made it back to VA from picking up our new 5er in Muskegon, MI, just in the nick of time. Arrived home Wed. nite after a 17 hour drive to beat the winter storm, winds, snow, etc... We are so thrilled with the new RV we are marking the calendar for our 1st trip out. Spring hurry up!!!!!!! If anyone is interested in saving a lot of money on a new RV, it would be worth your time to contact the folks at Lakeshore RV in Muskegon, they made it worth the time and trouble to travel to MI and they did everything as promised, with absolutely no surprises or hidden costs, that is to be commended in todays business world. After checking the unit out, we have found just a couple of minor details that need to be addressed, that will be no trouble for me to take care of myself. If anything major arises during the manufacturer's warranty period any Keystone service center can handle it. We, also, purchased the 7 yr extended warranty and were told during that period we can take it to any service center of our choice. If we have issues with that, we'll certainly let you all know. Love this forum, very good info.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Gllad to hear that your trip home was successful and that you are really pleased with the dealer. In regards to your 7 yr extended warranty......if you do not make any claims at the end of the 7 yr period, do you get a full or partial refund of your money? If you do, it might be worthwhile not to make any small claims and pay for the repair yourself ????
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
f6bits

When shopping for a trailer, I did notice the huge price differences for midwest dealers. However, they had a delivery fee that mostly offset that discount. When I calculated how much a round trip would cost me, it came out about the same as the delivery fee. No wonder someone in another thread mentioned how low the margins are for the delivery middlemen.

I’d have to say, though, that it sounds pretty fun to make that trip. Call it a vacation and do lots of “testing” on the way back. Unless you’re trying to beat that winter storm, though.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
larrym

Let me join in with congratulations! We're anxious to make our trip in a few weeks from Texas to Prescott, AZ, the 5er rolls off the assembly line next week, a week in the paint shop then transporting. I just sold a 40' MH, and have pulled everything you can imagine except a 5th wheel, curious how that feels. I'm a good "backer" but hear 5er's are a different animal, at least in the response area, and I installed a Superglide as well. I love reading stories like y'alls. Was the ESC from Keystone or a third party? Happy days are coming!
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR
'23 T-Bucket, Tunnel Ram 427 BBC

https://banners.wunderground.com/weat...t=40 width=467
larrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Jim & Kay

The extended warranty was from a third party not Keystone and no we do not get a refund if the warranty is not used. We decided to get it just in case we need it but hope we never will.
The cost of the round trip to MI was less than $500.00 compared to what the delivery fee would have been, approximately $1600.00. After comparing prices from dealers in 4 different states, Lakeshore RV saved us almost $10K the numbers speak for them selves, it was definitely worth the trip and outrunning the snow.
As for towing a 5er, in our past we've had an assortment of RVs (PU, 5er, MH, and several TTs, and my personal preference is still the 5er.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
kschitoskey

Congratulations

Congrats on your purchase. I made the trip to Muskegon in Sept from NM; saved a bundle, well worth the trip. Hurry up spring...

06 Dodge Cummins 2500 Mega Cab, B&W Companion, Pac Brake air bags.
kschitoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Wayne

Congrats on your purchase. I hope you have better luck than we did last year. We purchased a Cougar HC 299RKS in a neighboring state because of the sales price. Thanks to recent changes to Kentucky laws, I discovered that I had to pay to have the RV inspected (even though it was new). I paid $140.00 for someone to see if it had a functioning smoke alarm & fire extingusher. Also instead of paying sales tax on the difference between my trade-in & the purchase price, I had to pay tax on the full purchase price. This was something that our state politicians did to help local dealers. Apparantly my local dealer was not aware of the law change, because I told them to just get within the ballpark of the other price and I would prefer to buy from them. They said they couldn't do better so I bought elsewhere. This only applies if you buy out of state & from a dealer. After the trip expense and the unexpected charges I may have saved $1000.00. I would have bought local had I known that. We just spent 2 weeks in Florida and love our RV. We compared several makes/models and feel the Cougar HC offers a lot for the money. I hope you enjoy yours as much.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
reubenray

How did the Tundra handle the Cougar? This model and the K-Z Durango D275RL are on my final list.

The trip way up there from New Orleans is a little to far to go. You must have bought the last one - they do not have any on their website.

Also where are the pictures of both the Cougar and the Tundra. In case you didn't know I have a Tundra also.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Jim & Kay

Here is a photo of the Toyota & Cougar HC at Lakeshore RV Center -- they permitted me to spend 2 nights there, waiting to get the hitch installed. They furnished water & electricity and gave me the opportunity to check things out before heading back to VA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	867  

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU