Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
BandMedic

Water Filter advice

We just bought a 2012 Copper Canyon 314FWRLS a couple of weeks ago and other than a few minor problems that the dealer is taking care of, we're very happy with it. This is our 4th camper and 2nd Keystone 5er (our first was a 2001 Laredo 27RL) and had our first grandchild not arrived last year, we probably would have kept it. He was a great excuse to upgrade to a larger camper though.

I have a couple of questions:

Question #1 We do a lot of dry camping where we use generators and our fresh water storage tank. Most fresh water tanks have a "plastic" flavor in the water and ours is no exception. We had filtered drinking water in both the class C we had years ago as well as in the Laredo so I've never noticed it before. I want to install a water filter for the water coming out of the fresh water holding tank. There seem to be 2 different kinds of filters...the kind that hook onto the kitchen faucet that you can turn on and off for drinking water, and the in-line kind that I would install under the sink. As for the first kind, I don't know if the extra weight on the faucet might cause problems later on. The in-line filter would be ok, but I don't need to filter ALL of the water coming out of the kitchen sink, just the water we're drinking.

Question #2 I have 2 Honda 2000eu generators that I hook together in parallel to provide power for the camper. There is a 30 amp breaker for the camper hookup but the new Copper Canyon has 50 amp service. When we bought the camper, I had the dealer install an additional AC in the front bedroom, but we can't run both ACs at the same time. Do you know if Honda has a way to connect 3 of the 2000s to be able to run everything? I know I could get 2 of their 3000s and hook them up in parallel, but that's big bucks that I really don't want to spend. In addition, they're a lot heavier than the 2000s. I already have the 2000s and buying an additional one would be much less expensive than buying 2 of the 3000s.

Thanks for your advice.
BandMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Can't help you with the generator issue. I've never heard of anyone hooking 3 together, so I have no idea whether it would work or not. Electrically, it's possible, but whether there's anything in the electronics of the Honda's or not that might be an issue...... I don't know.

As for the filter. An undercounter filter connected to the cold water tap would give you filtered water, but you said you didn't want to filter all the sink water, just the drinking water. Like you, I wouldn't want a "hang-on" filter on the faucet. One suggestion, if you only want drinking water filtered is to get a 1 gallon Brita filter. That's what we use for all our drinking water in the camper. It works well, we have 2 one gallon jugs that we pour the water into from the Brita, so there's always a gallon of cold water in the reefer and another one sitting by the sink for coffee, tea or cooking. It's much easier to winterize that way too LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Johnnyfry

3generators

There is no reason why 3 Honda be sets would not work together if you make up a custom parallel jumper set for all 3.

You will also have to make up a custom feeder from all 3 genset outputs to the trailer cable because the sockets on the Honda are not capable of carrying the entire load, but bear in mind that you cannot duplicate the 50A/240V feed you get from a campsite. You will get 6,000 (max) watts and not the 12,000 you could get from a campsite 50 amp connection.

You might not be able to run 2AC units, converter, microwave, etc at the same time as 3 Honda 2000 sets are only capable of only 1.6 kW each for a total of 4.8 kW.

You will probably be better served buying 2 Honda 3000i be sets and using them in parallel.

IMHO,
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
campingcpl

Can't help you with the gen question but as for the water filter question I might have a suggestion. You could cut the cold line and put a tee in the line and then add your water filter off that line and then add a faucet mount water filter system that you can get at Lowes. It would require adding a hole to the back top of the sink but would probably be kind of what you are looking to do. You would then use this faucet for just getting drinking water and your regular sink faucet wouldn't be filtered but the drinking water would be. You would also avoid adding the heavy attachment to the end of the sink faucet.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_97003-43353-...7C1&facetInfo=

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
jje1960

Water

We just use a britta filter for drinking and ice making. One filter per/season, not a pain at all.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
dave-g

That 2nd ac will need 3kw gen for itself. You may want to try connect the 2nd ac only to a 3rd gen.

I have a 3kw Honda- runs the one ac fine- but may go south next summer and may add a 2nd ac. I may make it plug in near the panel so I can connect it to a separate power source.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote