Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Jimbow

TV Help

First time in our 2018 Cougar 5th wheel and have a Summit TV issue. Went through the auto scan an it shows two digital and almost 50 RF channels. After the scan I can only get the two digital channels..... any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

A couple of things to check. First off make sure the antenna is raised (if applicable) and “aimed” in the direction of the transmission towers for best reception.

Then inside the trailer make sure the “booster” is on. It’s probably located on the plate near the main tv where the coax is hooked up. Booster “on” should light a light on that same panel.

Then when you do channel scan be sure that the input is “AIR” or “ANTENNA”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Cbrez

Agree with chuckster57’s recommendations. Additionally, although the channel scan usually returns a high number of RF channels, my experience is that they are not viewable TV stations. I only see the analogy and digital channels. So in your example, l too would only see 2 channels.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Robert.Dodge

I have the same issue. There is a fixed antenna on my 2016 Sprinter 347FWLFT. My light on the bottom is no coming on either. Nor sur how to trouble shoot the system. I want to replace the antenna but not sure if necessary
Robert.Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
Northofu1

I had the same problem this weekend past. I forgot to turn booster on, turned it on re-scanned and 34 channels to watch. turning antenna (If available) and re-scanning each time helps

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dodge View Post
I have the same issue. There is a fixed antenna on my 2016 Sprinter 347FWLFT. My light on the bottom is no coming on either. Nor sur how to trouble shoot the system. I want to replace the antenna but not sure if necessary
If your talking about the indicator light for the booster, then the issue could be a fuse, or a short in the coax. Take the booster out, and look behind it. There will be 12V power and ground connections. If you verify there is 12V at the wires, start removing the coax cables. Make sure you mark them, Antenna, Cable, TV2 will be labeled on the backside of the booster. After removing a coax, turn the booster back on, if the light comes on the removed coax is shorted out.

If you have 12V at the wires, and still no light with the coax cables removed, your booster is probably no good. Easy enough to replace, just match the number of inputs and outputs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your talking about the indicator light for the booster, then the issue could be a fuse, or a short in the coax. Take the booster out, and look behind it. There will be 12V power and ground connections. If you verify there is 12V at the wires, start removing the coax cables. Make sure you mark them, Antenna, Cable, TV2 will be labeled on the backside of the booster. After removing a coax, turn the booster back on, if the light comes on the removed coax is shorted out.

If you have 12V at the wires, and still no light with the coax cables removed, your booster is probably no good. Easy enough to replace, just match the number of inputs and outputs.
I have no idea where to even look for my booster. Have never found the switch in two years. I've had the sound bar out, a maze of spaghetti back there with speaker wires, etc. I am wondering if it's somewhere in the wall between the main TV and bedroom TV hookups. That would be the place to look, but I've been back there a number of times digging around. But still no switch to be found. I swear the guys who put these things together just want to screw with you.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have an antenna on the roof, you have a booster somewhere. I have seen them hidden in overhead cabinets, so you might have to play “hide and seek”.

Best place to start is at each TV hook up. If you have a king jack, I’ve seen the booster switch/light on the antenna base, on the ceiling.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
Robert.Dodge

Poor TV Reception

My booster light was on and I was getting no chanels. Went on the roof of the RV removed the top of the fixed antenna pulled up the cable a ltitle and tightened the connection, it was loose. Put it back on, came in and the light on the booster was off and not working. I'm not good with electronics, need some help understanding what to do to fix it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like the coax from the antenna to the booster is shorted out. You can replace the ends easy enough. Many big box home improvement stores and Harbor Freight have the tool and ends, instructions included.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #11
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you have an antenna on the roof, you have a booster somewhere. I have seen them hidden in overhead cabinets, so you might have to play “hide and seek”.

Best place to start is at each TV hook up. If you have a king jack, I’ve seen the booster switch/light on the antenna base, on the ceiling.
Well, I camp alone these days, as my wife went to the great campground in the sky going on two years ago... so nobody will mind the mess.
So that means next time I go up there I'm emptying out all the cabinets that are near the antenna side of the TT. Heck maybe I'll take that side of the TTT apart; seems to be where all the wiring and stuff is located anyway. There is no visible antenna base inside the camper, hence no raise/lower/rotate capability. But you're correct in assuming there has to be a booster somewhere.
You'd think a guy who was good at fixing electronics on F-14 Tomcats would be able to figure out a camper TV. But we had schematics, LOL. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dodge View Post
My booster light was on and I was getting no chanels. Went on the roof of the RV removed the top of the fixed antenna pulled up the cable a ltitle and tightened the connection, it was loose. Put it back on, came in and the light on the booster was off and not working. I'm not good with electronics, need some help understanding what to do to fix it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
That's an excellent thought. Why would I assume things are tightly put together? I'll start by finding the booster/switch and work from there. Time to get out the toolbox.
As for helping with T/S the electronics, I can fix radar but have no idea how these things are logically (ha-ha!) designed. As others have suggested, checking connections and reading for voltage and good grounds is always the first step. Good luck with your issue.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

If it makes you feel better, I work on these things and still find myself playing hide and seek in a brand new unit, so no mess to make looking in cupboards.

Schematics? We don’t need no stinking schematics

Old 05-25-2018, 03:37 AM   #14
Plwilds

My booster was on the cable outlet in my bedroom.
Plwilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 AM   #15
JimSchwenk

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen two TT's put together the same way, even to of the same model. It's like they give a guy a box of tubing and wire and tell him to go for it.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #16
Robert.Dodge

Hi Chuckster57, I'm afraid I don't understand, aren't the ends just screw ons? Are you saying that whole cable like e bad? I'll check the voltage at both ends if I have power could it be the antenna? Sorry if I sound stupid, bit I am when it comes to this stuff. Thanks Rob
Old 05-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

The ends of the coax have a crimped on connector. That connector is what screws on. If you look at one it will have the center "signal" wire sticking out of the center.
Here is a link to one tool and testing kit.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...2818/203799415

Old 05-31-2018, 07:29 AM   #18
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Some coax connectors are crimped on, but most screw together...the better ones. You can replace connectgors quite easily. I carry spares with fuzes. The cable can get cut (especially if in/near slides), bend too often, or gremlins attack them. You can get continuity checkers with 3-4 different colored end caps (act as a “short”); put on either end of a coax; attach checker gto other end with short coax lead; if OK your cable itself is good. The boostere foir OTA antenna should be under the wasll plate that says “ANT”: next to its coax and a button that turns it off/on. If you have 2/more tvs, there will still be only one booster under that plate. Two screws and it is off. You will see different colored coaxes...especially if Keystone routed Sat, Cable, and OTA cables through itg. Which they do...which spells trouble with Sat antennas! According to Keystone, all new Cougars and Montanas share this problem.
Keystone started using Diplexers to run 2 and 3 signals through one coax. Dumber than dirt! Campingworld is running standalone cables now in my 2018 Montana because of that. Campingworld is paying because Keystone refuses to correct that bad, bad design. Diplexers, which are just “smarter” Splitters, can run two signals with one end “multiplexing” 2 of the three signals, but not three signals properly. The booster, however, isn’t big and is under the coax plate by one of the TVs. Rotsa ruck.
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #19
AbHDToyHauler

In my Fuzion 342 the booster was in the bedroom closet above top shelf on right hand side. Small switch to press and it lights up green. Then channels came in excellent.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #20
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old soldier View Post
Some coax connectors are crimped on, but most screw together...the better ones. You can replace connectgors quite easily. I carry spares with fuzes. The cable can get cut (especially if in/near slides), bend too often, or gremlins attack them. You can get continuity checkers with 3-4 different colored end caps (act as a “short”); put on either end of a coax; attach checker gto other end with short coax lead; if OK your cable itself is good. The boostere foir OTA antenna should be under the wasll plate that says “ANT”: next to its coax and a button that turns it off/on. If you have 2/more tvs, there will still be only one booster under that plate. Two screws and it is off. You will see different colored coaxes...especially if Keystone routed Sat, Cable, and OTA cables through itg. Which they do...which spells trouble with Sat antennas! According to Keystone, all new Cougars and Montanas share this problem.
Keystone started using Diplexers to run 2 and 3 signals through one coax. Dumber than dirt! Campingworld is running standalone cables now in my 2018 Montana because of that. Campingworld is paying because Keystone refuses to correct that bad, bad design. Diplexers, which are just “smarter” Splitters, can run two signals with one end “multiplexing” 2 of the three signals, but not three signals properly. The booster, however, isn’t big and is under the coax plate by one of the TVs. Rotsa ruck.
If you're saying the better coax connectors are screwed on, I completely disagree. The best connectors are made using a proper compression tool. This video shows tools and connectors similar to what I use.

2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote