Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #1
BIG KAHUNA

Unwanted guests

So it would appear our brand new 5TH wheel has been adopted by a variety of visitors namely mice and red squirrels. I have put down the scent bags to no avail so I'm thinking about going more conventional namely traps. Forum thoughts about traps and bait. And don't get me wrong I would rather do ANYTHING besides kill a living thing, but my DW in particular feels violated. And I'm not joking!!!
BIG KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:05 AM   #2
vampress_me

Just my opinion, and other may have better ones. But for me, traps -yes, bait -no. My reasoning is that any sort of trap will catch the mouse, etc and hold him where he is caught. If you bait a mouse it will typically go back into hiding before dying. Now hopefully that isn’t in your trailer in a place you can’t reach, but we don’t always get that lucky. And a dead mouse stinks, for a long, long, long time in warm weather....don’t ask how we know that one after having a mouse die in the heater vents of a car many years ago...even after the mouse and nest were removed...

Other reason for no bait here is I also have cats that spend time outside and wouldn’t want them getting a baited mouse/ get into the bait by accident.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
BIG KAHUNA

Getting rid of vermin

Not to get too explicit BUT I'm only going for kill traps at this point. I tried have-a-heart to no avail. They took the bait and ran without triggering the trap due to their light weight, which I was told would be a problem. And getting a cat is NOT in the cards!!!
BIG KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 AM   #4
ncgrl1

I have always heard that dryer sheets would keep pests away. We have always used them, and never had any issues.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
Dorrie

For the mice problem, there is the glue traps, not so gross like the traps that snap the critter. I use dryer sheets, had no problem.
For the squirrels, a gun.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
Steveo57

Traps to get rid of the pests and then seal up every possible little place they can get into!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Another point to consider when using "poison bait" is that even if the critter leaves the trailer in search of water and dies outside, for some of them, they then become a part of the food chain for birds, foxes and other small carnivorous animals. The poison that killed them is in their system and is then transferred to the owls, eagles, buzzards, foxes, neighbor's cat or dog...... Even if it isn't "eaten by something" as it decomposes, that poison enters the soil and will eventually end up in the water supply that we all drink.... NO !!! I'm not a "tree hugger" but am concerned with the consequences we get ourselves into, often times, without thinking about what comes next.....

So, poison should be a "last resort". Cage type traps with peanuts and peanut butter, mouse/rat traps (depending on size of the prey) and glue traps are all very effective. Granted a small mouse won't trigger a "big rat trap" but setting both, usually will get either size, depending on what's "scurrying around"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
Hodgy

Critters can be a problem. We have two cats so any mice around are quickly gone. The squirrels are another thing. When our cats were younger they caught a few and the neighbour has two little Apso-Pouddle-Lapso cross dogs that catch and kill the little buggers with glee. Nice to have them around.

Any left and the 177 air rifle gets rid of them.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
Carrottop

Bounce sheets and Irish spring soap shaved. They don't like the smell for some reason. We always place glue traps at any point of entry and have only had one intrusion that the glue trap caught. Not sure about your jurisdiction but here in Manitoba with government insurance as the only option they cover any damage to campers from rodents. Up to and including writing off the unit if there is substantial chewing of wiring.
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Lenny K

Take your time and close up as many entry points as possible on your trailer to prevent the critters from getting in. By getting creative you can almost seal it up completely. The best cure is prevention.
Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
B-O-B'03

The trouble with glue traps is they are more indiscriminate than other rodent traps. I am on the anti poison wagon and put some glue traps in the garage, the next day I saw I had captured something and when I pulled the trap out it was a pair of wrens

+1 on the .177, I have a break action, single shot, with a scope on it and at 1200 FPS, do my best to make squirrels and endangered species around here.

-Brian
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Hodgy

1200 FPS, I could only wish. We in the GWN are limited to 495 FPS. Anything higher and you have to register it.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
labman

A friend of mine has a tt he keeps in the woods in northern Minnesota. He was having a terrible issue with mice. He found something that he said worked fantastic. I tried it on our 5er and have had no issue with mice to date. it is a product called mouse magic by bonide. I have read reviews that said it doesn't work but, it does for my friend and I. As to the red squirrels, you'll have to kill them. they will chew wires and do a lot of damage. I have the best luck with rat traps and peanut butter and sunflower seeds. (in the shells) I would set mouse traps as well with peanut butter if the trailer is infested with mice at this point. The mouse magic should keep them from coming in if you put it near all the openings once you clear up the problem. I had to kill 8 flying squirrels over the course of 6-8 months that had invaded the attic of my home and finally called a pro to find where they were getting in. He sealed it up and put down plenty of bait to finish the job.....
Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #14
Bingo 57

Mice / Rodent

I've used the dryer sheets for years & several different units. Along with making sure the unit is "tight" I've never had any issues. Now when DW got her unit & forgot to follow my winterizing routine and ended up with "guests" in her unit you'll never believe who's fault it was....
Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #15
SkiSmuggs

I tried Irish Spring and found mouse droppings all around the half bar I left on the battery cover. Maybe it scarred the crap out of them, but I don't think it works. I've had mixed results with Bounce sheets, but traps do the job every time for mice.
I had a family of red squirrels in a previous trailer and the Have-A-Heart traps on the rear bumper got the adults. The little ones came out looking for food at a campground and I put them in a tree before leaving and they ran after the trailer as we pulled away.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
vampress_me

Thanks guys! I now have the picture of someone shooting squirrels IN their camper. I know (hope ) that isn’t what you all meant, but that was the first thing that popped in my head. Sorry, long day at work -fried my brain.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:45 AM   #17
notanlines

Victor mouse traps for the mice and rat traps with peanut butter for the squirrels. Admittedly we have never had a rodent problem in an RV, but a house at the lake for 22 years makes one a pseudo-expert. I won't crawl up on my soapbox today, but we also prefer to leave the poisons alone. We tried our hav-a-hart trap for ages in our back yard to lower the squirrel population. Too many possums and raccoons showed up. Ever try to get a fat, adult possum out of a medium sized trap? Those rascals are seriously vicious up close.
When my neighbor's son sort of "took over" the chore of lowering our squirrel population, however with MY air gun, I bought a used Gamo Extreme which pushes the pellet nearly 1700 FPS. A very nice pellet rifle indeed, but loud and heavy.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:14 AM   #18
larry337

We live next to a cornfield and we have fought mice in our campers for years. Bounce sheets didnt work. Snap traps with peanut butter worked in the beginning but then they got smart and they could steal the peanut butter right off the Trap without triggering it. That's when I switched to glue traps with a peanut in the middle and that worked. But the best by far if you are plugged into power is electronic rodent repellent. I bought these a couple years ago and have not had a mouse since. I swear by them. There are several out there but these are the ones that I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F2...o_pop_mb_pd_t2

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 AM   #19
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
We live next to a cornfield and we have fought mice in our campers for years. Bounce sheets didnt work. Snap traps with peanut butter worked in the beginning but then they got smart and they could steal the peanut butter right off the Trap without triggering it. That's when I switched to glue traps with a peanut in the middle and that worked. But the best by far if you are plugged into power is electronic rodent repellent. I bought these a couple years ago and have not had a mouse since. I swear by them. There are several out there but these are the ones that I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F2...o_pop_mb_pd_t2

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I use something similar and have not had any pests either!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 04:37 AM   #20
jsmith948

Good info - thanks to all for sharing. We haven't had an issue with mice (touch wood). Probably due to our neighbor having at least a dozen cats. These are/were grandchildren's pets that have been allowed to procreate and are now semi feral.
I would like to know how to keep these darn cats out of our flower beds and out from under the trailer! When I was a kid on the farm a shotgun worked - but today I'd probably be arrested. No mice though - if you don't mind cat scat everywhere!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote