Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
LFord

Exterior Cleaning & Protection

I bought a 2016 Passport Ultra Lite Express 199ML last year (April, 2017) "new," spent one night in it on the way back from the dealer in NW Ohio, put into fully enclosed storage, and didn't use it again :-(

Now that we are finally getting past winter down here in the mountains of SW North Carolina (although we we have snow in the forecast for the higher elevations over the next couple of days!), and it's time to pull the travel travel for a new season, the exterior needs a good washing.

What do you folks recommend for the exterior in the way of detergent, brushes that won't damage the fiberglass exterior, and any wax or other exterior protective product after washing?

Hoping to use it a lot more this year, but still working full-time so gotta work some trips in!

Thanks.
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
Timcharlie

Exterior Cleaning and Protection

This is what I have used last season and I will use again this season. Easy to use and remove. I purchased it from Amazon. Has a 5 star rating on their website. Aero Cosmetics Wet or Waterless Car Wash Wax Kit 144 Ounces. Aircraft Quality for Your Car, RV, Boat, Motorcycle. The Best Wash Wax. Anywhere, Anytime, Home, Office, School, Garage, Parking Lots.

Tim
Timcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Lee

Hi,

Tim gives sound advice.

I usually use a quality car soap to wash the TT.

Then I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the entire TT. I mop it onto the roof membrane, awnings, and sides of the TT. Then I use a DA electric buffer on the sides to buff to a shine.

I also use the 303 on any and all rubber x2 per year.... side out seals, door seals, etc.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
chartrand

You use it on your roof membrane? I never thought about using it up there. Is it safe? Us your roof TPO or EPDM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
mfifield01

I use 303 for the sides, back, and roof. I put a synthetic polish on the front area (Zaino AIO).
Old 03-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
BigTexRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timcharlie View Post
This is what I have used last season and I will use again this season. Easy to use and remove. I purchased it from Amazon. Has a 5 star rating on their website. Aero Cosmetics Wet or Waterless Car Wash Wax Kit 144 Ounces. Aircraft Quality for Your Car, RV, Boat, Motorcycle. The Best Wash Wax. Anywhere, Anytime, Home, Office, School, Garage, Parking Lots.

Tim
Tim is correct, Wash & Wax is a great product, plus water is not needed. I don't like 303 because it leaves a coating on the surface that will peel off over time and looks terrible.
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexRex View Post
Tim is correct, Wash & Wax is a great product, plus water is not needed. I don't like 303 because it leaves a coating on the surface that will peel off over time and looks terrible.
I've used 303 for about 10 years and have never had it "peel off over time"... I wonder what caused you to have that kind of problem? I'm sure if it happened to me I'd be reluctant to use it again, but so far, never had any negative results.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #8
Canonman

I've found Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax (I use a fairly heavy mix) does a good job. Cleans well and leaves a nice shine. Spring and fall I wax using Nu Finish. Easy on and buffs to a nice shine. 303 on the roof and tires twice a year.
As others have said, I have not had good results with 303 on the side panels of the Cougar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8290 (1).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	15679  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #9
SLIMSHADIE

It seems like I have to hand wash it to get it clean enough. Short step ladder, wash mit and car wash soap. Then I use the Meguiar’s Marine wax for fiberglass boats. As mine is stored indoors while not in use too. Only needs done 1 year, you can still feel the wax. Clean the roof twice a year with a little dawn and a splash of bleach, scrub both directions and rinse. Use the same for the awning, make a few batches, toss on top of awning, roll up up for 5-10 minutes, dont let it dry out, scrub and rinse.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
gearhead

Since you are storing inside about any quality wax or sealant should be fine. Mine sits outside and the sunny south side oxidizes.
I wash with the yellow Meguairs Ultimate wash and wax, and I mix it very heavy as well. I bet I have $400 worth of "easy on easy off" polishes, sealants, waxes, and glazes. Nothing gets it where I want it. I use the old Walmart telescoping blue brush from the RV aisle to wash.
My advice would be to stay ahead of it because it's very difficult to get it back once it's gone. If starting from very clean you may try Klasse All in One with the Klasse Glaze over that. Available From Amazon and Chemical Guys.
Also used Wet & Forget on the roof a few weeks ago, for the first time. No more Dawn stripping wax off the sides.
I washed it this morning, waiting on some shade to try 3M Polish and Restorer. Porter-Cable random polisher and wool pad.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
gearhead

How it goes...got the shade, started with the Porter cable and a wool pad. Switched to Chemical Guys yellow pad. Did one area about 4 x 8. Looked OK. I'll throw some 3M Marine Performance paste wax on it. Let it haze over while I sip a Bud light. Rubbed some of it off with a microfiber towel, decided to finish with a 4" random orbit with a microfiber on it. Oh excretement, it won't come off. Back to the Porter Cable and the 3M compound.
I wish I had a barn.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote