Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
NSTS1470

Hurricane

Irene is heading my way(MA near cape cod.) I have nowhere to run or hide. Any suggestions for best preparing the camper for the storm. Hopefully both my maxxair covers and fan don't vanish.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

We are sitting here at the Jersey shore waiting for Irene also. If your Maxxfan and vent covers were installed properly you should not have any problems. I'm hoping it is not going to be as bad as they say. Be prepared and be safe, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
We are sitting here at the Jersey shore waiting for Irene also. If your Maxxfan and vent covers were installed properly you should not have any problems. I'm hoping it is not going to be as bad as they say. Be prepared and be safe, Hank
Good luck up there Hank. I guess us in the sunshine state dodged a bullet, but we've had our share in years past........ Joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Terrydactile

Try and keep it out from under trees, and if its going to get real windy hook it to your truck and put the stabilizers down to help keep it upright. Make sure your insurance premiums are paid up. Also try and make sure that anything around your house that can be blown by high winds needs to be stowed or tied down, IE; lawn furniture, trash cans and lids, boats, etc. Hope your high enough to stay out of the storm surge. Prepare for torrential rainfall maybe up to 6 - 7 inches in a few hours.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
rjsurfer

Waiting here on Oak Island just south of Wilmington, NC, shutters are in place and have my Honda genny all set to go.

Tomorrow I will check out my chain saw and get it ready...There WILL be trees down.

Surfed a little this AM, might get another shot tomorrow morning before it blows crazy.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrydactile View Post
............ Make sure your insurance premiums are paid up.........

my wife sells insurance, ok not really sells it, more like middle man(ok woman)'s it, but anyhow, she was told today that they can NOT do any adjustments, or write new policy's untill after the storm. gotta love those insurance place's. not sure if this holds true for everywhere, but she does deal with like 20 some differn't places and they all put the notice out in the last few days. just a head's up for anyone that was thinking on calling in, be ready for a battle. good luck for all those in the direct path. i am not to worried being in the middle of pa

hank i was in jersey this morning and a heavy storm rolled past where i was working. do storms always just pop up in full force.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
msp2jxr

I would place the trailer behind a building or something you know won't blow over so the trailer doesn't take the brunt of the wind. At the very least I would try and point the front in the wind so the wind has less to push against. Just my 2 cents.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
cumminsdad08

ha ha. like finding a carwash big enough to fit it in. i am sure no one will be using it
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Jay D

Should the slides be in and unplug it from the house???
Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Outbackmel

Jersey Shore

Bad news for you They just announced earlier today, mandatory evac for 750,000 people around Cape May NJ. I had a 28ft boat on Beach Haven for 2 years. Glad we are not there for this one. Expected to take blunt force. I would hook and go west to the hills. The flying debris is what will get you and do most damage if you avoid rising water. Why take the risk?!

As a Floridian for many years, every major threat to Jacksonville had us leaving immediately for west of Orlando.

Not wise to try to hide and hang out.

A tank of diesel fuel moves you out of harms way.

Good luck!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsdad08 View Post

hank i was in jersey this morning and a heavy storm rolled past where i was working. do storms always just pop up in full force.
They say if you can live in New Jersey you can live anywhere. We get a little of everything. .... Battening down the hatches, gens are fueled and ready, plenty of wine, beer and oh some water and food too. We have been here over 50 years ... I think we'll ride this one out too.
I'm hoping everyone else along the coast will do whatever they have to and stay safe. Think I'll keep my 2˘ this time .... I may need it, Hank

Joe, Sure do wish I was at Nikomis beach now.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
kingji

We need the rain

If you get more of the wet stuff than you can handle send some out west to Texas and New Mexico. Here at my house we've only had a slight, almost semi trace of rain since last October. No kidding on this one. Wish you folks on the east coast the best of luck and be safe.
JK
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
antiqfreq

We weathered quite a few hurricanes near Ft Lauderdale while I lived there all my life, until recently.

We used to pull our fifth wheel between the two houses. Slides in, unplugged everything and hoped for the best.

Never a problem with the RV - but trees down, pool area caved in and no power off and on for a week or two at a time. But the RV survived!!

Jo

I feel your pain - hope ALL are okay who are in path of the storm!
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
wozzukes

We're in PA just over the border from Jersey, about an hour north of Philly, so we're bracing for it here too. We live on a hill next to a field which the winds usually come over and our rig is parked right next to it, so there is nothing breaking the wind before it gets to it. It's really the only place that it can be parked that isn't near trees, as everything else is wooded. Slides are in, it's unplugged, stabilizers down, but my husband is still contemplating hooking up the truck for some extra stability. All we can do at this point is be glad we have insurance and hope and pray for the best!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzukes View Post
We're in PA just over the border from Jersey, about an hour north of Philly, so we're bracing for it here too. We live on a hill next to a field which the winds usually come over and our rig is parked right next to it, so there is nothing breaking the wind before it gets to it. It's really the only place that it can be parked that isn't near trees, as everything else is wooded. Slides are in, it's unplugged, stabilizers down, but my husband is still contemplating hooking up the truck for some extra stability. All we can do at this point is be glad we have insurance and hope and pray for the best!
From what I have seen the main problem inland is usually the heavy rain that comes with these storms. Keeping the trailer away from large trees may be more important then protecting from wind. In any case good luck and stay safe, Hank
Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Sunday morning 10:00 ... still raining and a little windy but the worst is over. Cougar is fine, so is stick house, no leaks or damage other than a few shrubs torn out of the ground. I hope everyone else did as well. Guess I'll go out and clean up a little. You folks in New England hang in there, Hank
Old 08-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #17
NSTS1470

We dodged a bullet here in Southeastern MA. Minimal rain and moderate winds. Lots around us are still without power. But my Laredo did just fine, no damage.