Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

Arrrrrhg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I know I'm not the only one affected by this "freak of nature", I just finished plowing about 6" of newly fallen snow off the drive. Thankfully, I'd pulled in the slide on the trailer yesterday in anticipation. I suppose "there goes camping this weekend" <sigh> That's 5" two weeks ago, 3" last Saturday and now this !!!

What was that about "global warming" ???? More like "Global Snowing" in northern Michigan..... <G>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Handysam

Yep, saw on the news last night about you poor folks up north getting snow, while us folks here are getting tornado warnings in the middle of the night. Hopefully warmer weather will be here soon. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
mikell

Here in South West Michigan we had about 4" Monday i know the feeling
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
geo

Global warming is a misnomer. It's Global Climatic Change. And down here in North Texas, we are burning up - literally!!!!!! They evacuated the small town of Palo Pinto southwest of Ft. Worth yesterday. Population approx. 300.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Jim W

I went camping last weekend after de-winterizing the unit. Had great weather over the long weekend. Rain/Snow and 33F during the night with a high of 40F during the day.
What do you expect for northern IL weather. Like the weekend before we had 80F on Saturday, as I was washing the camper in shorts and t-shirt. Next week end we our in the deep freeze. Go Figure.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm chomping at the bit to get the tanks cleaned out and sanitized. I haven't purged the lines yet, I knew we'd have more freezing nights, so I'm still "IMPATIENTLY WAITING" for this stuff to end so I can get out of the driveway. We're loaded, all the appliances are checked out, the batteries charged, propane full and even have soap in the shower. I'm READY for this snow to END !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughingly asked my wife this afternoon after moving that snow why we ever left Louisiana to move "north" when everyone else who retires moves "south" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
wgb1

Ron is right. Texas is hot!...........and not just where the fires are. We were over 90 degrees today with a warm stiff breeze and high humidity. Felt like summer.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I am all to familiar with 90+ spring days, In fact, seldom after mid April can one mow the lawn after work, it becomes a Saturday morning task

We lived in Alexandria, LA for 25 years before moving back to Michigan upon retirement. Met my wife while in school at NMU in Marquette, MI too many years ago to remember. She wanted to return home to live near her family, who could refuse that, however...... Snow sure does have a way of making one question the validity of that choice..... Winter is OK, but it's spring and time for green grass, tulips, birds nesting and geese to be flying NORTH!!!!! and especially time for campers to start rolling !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
Jim W

Here is a cheery thought for you.

The first time my DW and I camped in the "UPPER" it was 1974. We had our first son and I worked at Cat, so we only had two weeks off in late July. So we head up to the "UPPER" to go off roading and camping in a 12'X12' tent.
The first night we were there my DW woke me up and said I think it is a little cold tonight. Do you think we should put "ERIC" between us in the sleeping bags to keep him warm. I said yes that would be alright. When I woke up that morning we had frost in the tent. Turns out that the Upper Peninsula of Michigan had a hard freeze that night. I had to scrap frost off of the windows on the Jeep, nighttime temps were in the high 20's to low 30's that year.
Winter is never far away in the "UPPER"
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
cdevill

I'm proud to say my 2011 Springdale 296BHSSR made it through an F2 that come through our neighborhood the night before last.....
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Here is a cheery thought for you.

The first time my DW and I camped in the "UPPER" it was 1974. We had our first son and I worked at Cat, so we only had two weeks off in late July. So we head up to the "UPPER" to go off roading and camping in a 12'X12' tent.
The first night we were there my DW woke me up and said I think it is a little cold tonight. Do you think we should put "ERIC" between us in the sleeping bags to keep him warm. I said yes that would be alright. When I woke up that morning we had frost in the tent. Turns out that the Upper Peninsula of Michigan had a hard freeze that night. I had to scrap frost off of the windows on the Jeep, nighttime temps were in the high 20's to low 30's that year.
Winter is never far away in the "UPPER"
Jim W.
We were in the UP at that time, living in Gwinn, just SE of Marquette. I "vaugely) (because I choose not to) remember the July 4th picnic I hosted at Little Lake Campground for my troops. We started ribs and chops on the grill about 11, the snow started about 12, we wound up in our basement with about 75 people, grilling outside and eating/visiting inside. No 3 legged sack races that year, but a couple of "alcohol fortified fools" did go out to play horseshoes. And, no, they didn't have to paint them orange to find them..... Snow golf, now that's a story for another time. Picnics in 30 degree weather aren't fun, at least not while in bathing suits at the beach....

All told, there's places in the UP where one can find ice or snow almost every day of the year..... Mother Nature's "wonderland" LOL Hmmmmmm Wonder why anyone would spend a winter there?????? the summers are cool enough <wink>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #12
mikell

Well other than Saturday it looks like rain now every day for the next week. I'm not going to get much done outside at this rate
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Same in the northern LP. It looks like the tip of the UP around the Sault may get a whisp of snow tomorrow ??? We're still melting, everything is wet and still cold. Rain tomorrow, clear (?) on Sunday, then rain most days next week. We're supposed to go to a conference in Mount Pleasant May 5/6/7. Planned to drag the trailer down, but if I can't get tanks cleaned and the lines purged, who knows. I hate to work in the rain and most of what's left to do is outside work, so wait and see.

I'm ready for winter to END and spring to GET HERE !!!!!!!

Walleye season is right around the corner, I have too much snow in front of the pole barn to even try to dig it out. Hmmmmm Now that is a "REAL DILEMMA" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS