Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Ruffus

Talking "It's an Adventure"

Fulltiming has been full of exciting things, sight's, sounds and smells. The last two days parked outside my father-in-laws house in rural America (Centralia Kansas) has been a challenge and experiance. Thanks to this blog and all the comments and stories shared by members and the moderators we are still surviving.
Yesterday morning, 3:30AM @ 34 degrees F and 40 MPH winds, one of my propane tanks ran dry. I bounded out of bed, ran outside switched tanks and jumped back into bed just as the 120 volt power to our 5ver went out, a circuit breaker in the house evidently tripped. To make matters worse the heater wouldn't lite and the stove would not stay lit telling me that I have a propane problem. So I pull up another blanket and wait for daylight. Thanks to the blog and an earlier story of parrel from another member the day before, I was able to figure out the problems and fix them in the daylight.

This morning at 4:00AM after using the facility's I realized that the water is just about to freeze because of the balmy 27 degree temperture from the cold day before. We have about 150 foot of hose strung out because this is rural America and old farm houses never needed water spigots in the front of a house, just in the back where the garden was grown in the back 40. Well I caught the water in time after letting it trickle for about 20 minutes just to wake up 2 hours later to the same problem.
After the last two days my DW stated, at 6:00AM, this fulltiming is really getting to be a pain and maybe we ought to re-think the whole idea because of all the extra work and problems it is causing me.

After pawndering her statement for a few minutes I drew on some wisdom from my best friend who died several years ago and who had talked my DW and I into motorcycle camping with the IBMC (International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers) across the USA and beyond for several years. Barry was his name and he was a Diabetic who loved camping and after every trip no matter what we had experianced on the open road, floods, hail, rain or snow, flat tires and even the occassional earth quake, he would always say "Life is an Adventure", so take it and learn, but at the end of the day if your still standing you'll look at this time and laugh and remember what a great time you had.
Well it must have appeazed her because she rolled over and went back to sleep.
So no matter what problems you have with your RV just remember, "Life is an Adventure", live and learn from it.
Happy Rving.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Hey Jim & Sharon,

Head south! I pulled out of Nebraska in early March when it got down to 14 degrees several nights in a row. Ended up with frozen water lines one night but thankfully no ill effects. The day I left, snow and sleet. I'm in Texas now enjoying 70s-80s while Nebraska still freezes.

On my trip down here I had a flat tire, had a terrible time backing into a spot at night and broke my ladder and a few other bad experiences. I started to question the idea of fulltiming too. Now I am planted at a spot by a huge lake enjoying gorgeous riding days on my Harley, playing ball with the dogs and oh yes, working too (I'm a computer geek so all I need wifi and a place to plant my butt).

I think life would get pretty boring if we didn't have challenges to overcome. It's what makes us strong, smart and gives us great stories to tell and it sounds like you are certainly getting some great stories!

Stay warm and enjoy the adventure,
Kent
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Handysam

Thanks for sharing Jim, Happy Camping, Sam