Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
antiqfreq

Boondocking essentials

What changes - additions, or mods - have you done to make your camper boondocking worthy?

We have added 2 batteries, a bigger inverter, and a battery cut off switch.
We have 2 Honda Eu2000i generators that are paralleled together and always carry an extra 5 gallons of gas for them.
We fill our fresh water tank, plus take five more gallons.
We have a blue tote in case we gotta put any grey water in there.....

What have you done?

AntiqFreq
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Some folks, including myself, have added one or more solar panels. I have an 85W Kyocera that is used to help maintain and charge the batteries (when it is sunny). Rather than mount it on the roof, I mount it on an easel-type frame when boondocking. When I am travelling, it slips into a track which I built in the storage compartment. There are some disadvantages of not having it permanently mounted, but for us, the portability of it works out well.
When we are dry camping, we dont need or use a lot of the 110V appliances. We just do without and get by very well. Frugal use of both water and batteries will get you a long way. Whenever possible, we do not use the water pump. We have even drained water from our fresh water tank (by opening the spigot) into buckets. That way, you dont have to use the pump --- just pour from the bucket. Extra work and less convenient? Yes, but it does help.
We also use Mr. Buddy - a propane heater that has a low oxygen shutoff - for times when we need a bit of extra heat, and doesnt require running the furnace. We never leave it on when we are sleeping - just throw on an extra blanket.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Miller88310

We have added an additional battery and mounted them both in a crossover aluminum toolbox on the tongue. (the box also provides a little more storage for chocks, levelers, and other small stuff.)

We have a sunforce 60watt solar panel to keep our batteries charged. It's mounted on a PVC frame so we can move it around.

2 Honda EU2000 generators that we can use in parallel. We mostly use only one at a time.

A 42gal Blue Boy mounted on a custom made mount on the rear bumper.

Mounted rear rack to haul bikes, small bar-b-que, and a little firewood.

we added a 750watt inverter straight off the battery for use of small 110v items.

I'm always looking for new ideas as we will start full timing in a few months.
Reese 16K Hitch
EU2000 Honda Generator
EU2000 Companion Honda Generator
Miller88310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
PSDave

Location: Buena Park, CA. Lat: 33.851° Lon: -118.025° El:047'
Boondocking with solar

Our camping herritage is TT's (old ones) where the most modern convenience was a uWave oven, no A/C! So, we had an old Honda 1KW rattle-trap, and some fans. Last year, we bought a very quiet Honda 2000i. Then this year, we purchased a new Cougar 5er.

I figure that when we are boondocking during a "star party" in the desert, the solar panel (85W Kyocera) will keep up with our nightly demands ... if we use fans rather than the A/C. But, having A/C available raises the question: will the 2000i handle it? I haven't had a chance to clamp the ampmeter on the wiring for the A/C unit, and I don't know the specs for motor startup with compressor. I think it is near 17~18 Amps. But if I sneak on the blower first (get it rotating), then activate the compressor, the 2000i may handle it. Has anyone measured, and/or tried the A/C only, on a 2000i?

If I need more capacity, I will simply look for another 2000i (used) and parallel them. What is the tribal knowledge on this?

PSDave

2010 Cougar 26SAB X-Lite 5er, 2x Honda 2000i, 2x Kiocera 85W solar, 40A Xantrex reg.
-----
'06-6.0 F-250 PSD AOD, CC, 4x4 SB
AirRaid intake
BANKS Six-Gun iQ (pre-turbo Pyro)
BANKS Monster Diesel Dual Exhaust
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
SNOW Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX Meth/Water injection (with another pre-turbo Pyro!)
Ride-Rite Air Bags (wireless)
Gear Vendors OVER/UNDER DRIVE
OilGuard bypass oil filtration system
Pullrite 18K Super Glide (auto) Hitch
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock
PSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
cnbhand

We seldom camp in campgrounds and when we do we never get hookups. I installed a 130 watt solar panel on the roof and have a 85 watt mobile panel on the ground. To make all of this work there are 4, 6 volt batteries.Have a Big Sky solar boost and controller which increases panel output by at least 10 percent. Our lighting is 12V LED which draws about 3.5 watts per light. We dry camp for a period of 4 months in the desert every winter, we have never been without electricity. We power our tv, satellite dish, and dvd player through a 1200 watt inverter. I have by passed the charger on the converter by pulling the fuse on it. This allows for a better charge from the solar panels and won't allow for over charging if plugged in to shore power. I have been dry camping for 10 years and have never found a need for a generator, in fact I do not own one. Hope this helps, by the way if you plan on dry camping and using a generator, park far from those who use solar, we enjoy the quiet.
cnbhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Some folks, including myself, have added one or more solar panels. I have an 85W Kyocera that is used to help maintain and charge the batteries (when it is sunny). Rather than mount it on the roof, I mount it on an easel-type frame when boondocking. When I am travelling, it slips into a track which I built in the storage compartment. There are some disadvantages of not having it permanently mounted, but for us, the portability of it works out well.
Be very careful doing that. I had 3 on an easel mount... a wind came up and blew them over.. shattered all 3 panels. Stake them to the ground.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
Seann
Permanent User Ban

I have 4-125 watt panels. A blue sky charge controller, a magnum 2000 watt inverter (4000 surge). 2-25 gallon blue boys. A 30 gallon fresh water bladder with an old water pump to fill my holding tank with. I spend 5-6 months at Slab City and the TT never moves.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
PSDave

Location: Buena Park, CA. Lat: 33.851° Lon: -118.025° El:047'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDave View Post
Has anyone measured, and/or tried the A/C only, on a 2000i? PSDave
I tested my theory last week, AC only, fan on LOW and running. The Honda 2000i handled the load for about 1 minute, then the CB popped, test over. I turned off the AC in case it was running hot and let it rest.
I will probably treat myself to another 2000i for fathers day (even though it is more for wifey).

Thought the group would like to know.
PSDave

2010 Cougar 26SAB X-Lite 5er, 2x Honda 2000i, 2x Kiocera 85W solar, 40A Xantrex reg.
-----
'06-6.0 F-250 PSD AOD, CC, 4x4 SB
AirRaid intake
BANKS Six-Gun iQ (pre-turbo Pyro)
BANKS Monster Diesel Dual Exhaust
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
SNOW Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX Meth/Water injection (with another pre-turbo Pyro!)
Ride-Rite Air Bags (wireless)
Gear Vendors OVER/UNDER DRIVE
OilGuard bypass oil filtration system
Pullrite 18K Super Glide (auto) Hitch
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock
PSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Ruffus

Honda CB

Hey PSDave
I found out the other day that the CB will also kick out if the generator over heats. I had built a gen box with a 10" fan and two 6X12 vents and after running for about 30 minutes the CB on both generators tripped. I guess it's back to the old way, climb into the truck, lift them out of the box, climb down from the truck, carry them to a safe place and fire them up. Lifes a bitch and then we die.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
wayne4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88310 View Post
We have added an additional battery and mounted them both in a crossover aluminum toolbox on the tongue. (the box also provides a little more storage for chocks, levelers, and other small stuff.)

We have a sunforce 60watt solar panel to keep our batteries charged. It's mounted on a PVC frame so we can move it around.

2 Honda EU2000 generators that we can use in parallel. We mostly use only one at a time.

A 42gal Blue Boy mounted on a custom made mount on the rear bumper.

Mounted rear rack to haul bikes, small bar-b-que, and a little firewood.

we added a 750watt inverter straight off the battery for use of small 110v items.

I'm always looking for new ideas as we will start full timing in a few months.
post some pics of that toolbox im looking to do the same easy4e
wayne4e is offline   Reply With Quote