Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
BoosTT

Camping with a Cat

Wife wants to take our cat with us in our 19' travel trailer. I say it's to small to bring the cat, she think's it'll work. The cat does not go outside and would stay in the trailer (or maybe a small tent when we are around). Has anyone done anything like this? Does the cat ride in the truck or trailer, lol?
BoosTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Handysam

If you look at the "Keystone Forum Rules", the second rule is "Do what the wife says" the first rule of course is "Nod in agreement to what the wife says". Welcome, Happy Camping,Sam
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
f6bits

I’m not a cat person but I have friends and relatives who are. If that cat is fine hanging out in a single room in the house, then you’ll be fine. Plus, if the cat has favorite perches at home, emulate that in the trailer.

When traveling, the cat should ride in the truck. Same way you cart him around on the way to the vet, etc. Crate/box/sedated/whatever.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
CarKath

I have to agree with Sam, smile and nod. he he

On the serious side of it. We travel with 2 cats and a dog. Everybody rides in the truck. ( what a zoo )

Our cats are indoor animals as well. So we have litter box set up in a corner and it has worked out great. The cats settled in quick and found there spots to call there own. It has been no trouble for us at all.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
webslave

We've always traveled with our 3 cats...the trailer is nicknamed the "Cat House"

Our RV was a 21' FunFinder 210WBS. Yep, can be done, and we won't leave home without the little furbags. Cats are surprisingly adaptive and don't take up a lot of space. The three we have, got used to the trailer immediately and "staked out" their own spots; J-Lo got the shelf under the television, Coco (the old guy) got the shelf in front of the big window and Ragamuffin liked to lie between the pillows on the bed in front of the window there. If it was a really sunny day, all three of them would line up on the shelf in front of the window where Coco sprawled.

Now with the new 5ver Cat House, they've got more room than they know what to do with, but, they are equally at home there as they were in the FunFinder. There is so much room in the 5ver that they treat it more like home and sprawl wherever they get the urge as opposed to "staking out territory". It is fun watching the neighbors, particularly the children, when they realize that there are 3 kitties in the window

They've traveled so much with us that we let them roam free in the truck. We have a crew cab and the back seat belongs to them. They have boxes to curl up in, a litter box and food and water. They've learned that while in motion, they stay in the back. When we stop for fuel or we reach the campground, they come up onto the dashboard to "observe" and wait to be carried into the trailer. If we aren't at a campground (getting fuel for instance), as soon as I get back into the driver's seat, they head for the back.

Wouldn't think of leaving them at home.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

I can't believe that you folks think that YOU OWN the cats. They own you and they will not forgive you if you leave them home. Travel with them in the truck for safety and they will choose the best spots with the best sunbeams in the trailer for themselves. Be extra careful while camping that they don't escape .... ferule cats are a big problem in some areas.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
hankaye

BoosTT, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
If you look at the "Keystone Forum Rules", the second rule is "Do what the wife says" the first rule of course is "Nod in agreement to what the wife says". Welcome, Happy Camping,Sam
What him said. Also, If DW does the majority of the cooking remember ... If the cook ain't happy NO ONE is happy !

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
michael

cats

lol yes yes say yes or mama and kitty may get you a tent with all the room you need.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Frogdown

Cats

Our 4 cats own 2 dogs and 2 adults. They prefer to travel in the fifth wheel. YES they actually said that. Works very well!
Frogdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
mhs4771

We're Long Termers, and we have 4 with us. As for the TV, we have an Extended Cab and first thing done was to remove the back seat completely and install their UltraLite Cage. Cage has two levels with food, water and litter on each level, so two travel on each level. They stay in the TV until all slides are put out, don't need to squash a cat with a slide, same for tear down, cats go into their cage first then slides in. We have multiple scratching posts for them and they sit by the hour watching out the windows or sleeping in the sunshine.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
CincyGus

I love cats! I have one mounted on each side of the mantle. Just a little Jeff Foxworthy humor there. Not meant to offend so please don't flame me.

We have a dog and cat and have taken the dog but got the cat this winter and therefore have not considered this question since we have not been camping since then. My initial thoughts were to leave him at home but we may now think about it. Thanks for all your perspectives, it's opened my eyes to it being a legit question.

My only concern is that since he is declawed, the risk of him getting out and running off before I can corral him and he not being able to defend himself if we don't find him. Chasing cats is a contest in futility in my experiences, they only come if they want to and are much to small and nimble to be cornered outside.

Anyone have any thoughts about this concern? Our camper door should be a revolving door with my teenage daughter and all the friends she makes and runs in and out of the camper. If it were just the DW and I, I wouldn't have this concern.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
hankaye

Howdy All;

My 'toungue in cheek' preferred method of transporting a cat...
Rascal approved by the way;

hankaye
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat-carrier_funny.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1007  

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

hankaye
I just want EVERYONE to know that the "OTHER HANK" said that.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
smiller

Even multiple cats wills have plenty of room in a small trailer. You on the other hand...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

hankaye
That is way to FUNNY
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #16
jje1960

Cat

Yup, are cat goes with us on vacation, both him and his scratching pole ride in the 5Ver. He has not ridden well in the TV over the years, now he's stress free in the back.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I love cats! I have one mounted on each side of the mantle. Just a little Jeff Foxworthy humor there. Not meant to offend so please don't flame me. OK, I'm a hunter and that is just plain funny

My only concern is that since he is declawed, the risk of him getting out and running off before I can corral him and he not being able to defend himself if we don't find him. Chasing cats is a contest in futility in my experiences, they only come if they want to and are much to small and nimble to be cornered outside.

Anyone have any thoughts about this concern? Our camper door should be a revolving door with my teenage daughter and all the friends she makes and runs in and out of the camper. If it were just the DW and I, I wouldn't have this concern.
Having teens running in and out frequently could be a problem...

Our cats are declawed (front paws; they still have the rears), but, in being inside cats, they, truthfully, are terrified of the outdoors. One, the youngest (Ragamuffin) does enjoy going on the occasional "walkabout", but, she sits by the door and waits for DW or I to put her harness and leash on her. J-Lo wouldn't go outside if the 5ver was on fire and Coco (the old man) is just plain too dumb to do anything daring. Once, years ago, he did decide to see the great outside while we were camping...I was carrying an empty beverage can inside and he leaped out the door and onto the ground. Immediate crouch and a slow look around and I could see the gears turning in his little head: "OK, I'm out, it doesn't look right, it doesn't smell right, now what the ##$#@ am I going to do...I know, I'll turn around and run back in, yeah, that's the plan..." I couldn't get out of his way fast enough!

That was the last time any of them ever tried to make an escape. By and large, cats will stick with what is familiar to them. If they are inside cats and that's all they've known for quite some time, they usually will have their comfort zone there and not be in great hurry to "explore".

We do, though, mind open doors and always keep an eye out, just in case. As I mentioned above, teenagers? All bets are off. Cats get spooked by strangers (that familiarity thing again) and if your teen is darting in and out, complete with all her "new" friends, it may just panic the cat enough to put it into "flee" mode; out the door and away. If in "panic mode", there is no telling where the cat may flee to. If you take the cat, you may have to establish "ground rules" for the kids concerning who goes in and who watches the door...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote