Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #21
parkgirl

Our trailer will be outside in northern Ontario for the winter with lots of snow piling up on it. I'm afraid about the snow melting and getting in even with the max air vent covers. I asked this question on another thread but have no answers yet.

Does anyone leave their vents open when their trailer is outside where there is lots of snow?
Thanks,
parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Some people will say they leave them open, others will say that they always close them. Either way, once the snow covers the roof vent, it will effectively be closed, so why risk the potential for melting snow to leak into the camper. Since the frozen snow will seal the opening and stop any potential air circulation, might as well just close them and be done with it and not risk the possiblilty of water damage in the spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #23
parkgirl

Thank you JRTJH. That's smart thinking. We'll keep them closed.
parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
rrohrer

mine's parked under a roof so snow not an issue for me, but if it wasn't I probably would leave them shut.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
dakingsella

How about dehumidifiers?

Does anyone put dehumidifiers in the RV during the winter? It seems leaving vents open would defeat the purpose. I have a couple of the new rechargeable dehumidifiers that I bought last year. I closed the vents and had to recharge them a couple of times during the winter. I also live in a very damp climate (western Oregon).
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Dave -
While I don't have a proper dehumidifier, like some others, I use Dri-Air Crystals (or equivalent) to absorb moisture from the air. I place two in the unit, empty and refill them as necessary. In addition, I use a home-made "lightbulb" heater and a small computer fan.
All of my ceiling vents are cracked open as well as a couple of windows. I do cover the RV however and with the MaxxAir Fantastic Fan vents, I am not concerned about rain or snow blowing into the unit.
As you can see from my location, I also live in an area that receives more than its fair share of liquid sunshine and a bit of snow once in a while.
So far, I haven't seen any evidence of mildew, mold or dampness inside the RV.
I think good circulation is an important factor in keep these in check.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
mrmojo

We live on the West (wet) coast and we leave ours closed when not in use. Not much snow but lots or rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgirl View Post
Our trailer will be outside in northern Ontario for the winter with lots of snow piling up on it. I'm afraid about the snow melting and getting in even with the max air vent covers. I asked this question on another thread but have no answers yet.

Does anyone leave their vents open when their trailer is outside where there is lots of snow?
Thanks,
parkgirl
mrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #28
jlarocca

I used to leave mine open all the time but then had a really strong thunderstorm/tornado blow in from the south and it filled my maxxair covers with debris and lots of water got in. It was one of those days when it was raining sideways. Decided it was not worth it after that and left them closed.
jlarocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #29
Albert

We live in the rainy Pacific Northwest. We store our RV in an enclosed pole barn, keep all windows and vents closed. In the Winter months we run a dehumidifier that is on a timer. We run it for two hours in morning and 2 hours in evening. We also have a small space heater that we set at 40 degrees. In the drier months, we leave a window and vent cracked.