Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
witekjm

Unhappy Decoupling trailer from TW

I have a problem decoupling our TT from the ball. After lifting TT tongue to remove load equalizer bars, I lower TT tongue to shift TT weight to trailer tongue. The latch handle moves backward when pressed, but the coupler "locks" on the ball when trying to lift TT tongue. It takes several tries until trailer lifts off ball. RV dealer suggested rocking TW and TT, that sounds dangerous. Can someone help? Thanks, JW
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
ftwildernessguy

The last two trailers I have had, I end up standing on the hitch while I raise the tongue of the trailer to release it from the ball. It's not dangerous, but it would be a lot easier if it just lifted off without these acrobatics.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

If my truck was on a different plane, like down hill form the TT, it was a real burger to get off. I would raise the TT slightly higher the TT level and jump on the rear bumper to loosen it off.
Good luck.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
bennydog

Interesting. Sometimes mine sort of pops off but never sticks. Do you grease your ball? I do.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
m109rrider

mine does this occasionally. I usually just stomp on one of the bars from my Equalizer hitch and it will pop off.

2011 Prime Time 320RLT
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD
m109rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
ftwildernessguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennydog View Post
Interesting. Sometimes mine sort of pops off but never sticks. Do you grease your ball? I do.
I always keep my ball greased. Makes it quieter, too.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
witekjm

Smile Decoupling trailer from TW

All, I'll try greasing the ball. I did it once when we owned the popup. Thanks, JW
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Mmmmmmmm... In the above posts, I see 5 "high tech" solutions to this sticky ball and tongue problem: Rock, Stand, Jump, Grease....... but the award for the best high tech answer goes to m109rrider for his solution --- "Stomp". Next question?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
m109rrider

what do I win?

2011 Prime Time 320RLT
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD
m109rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Steersall4

OK Maybe, maybe not, but I think I just may be able to offer a less physical effort. Having had 4-5 TT's back in the 70's and now 2 5th wheels first an 03 cougar and since and still an 04 285efs Cougar. I have found that both trailer types can have an UN-hitch thing. I found that with my sliding 5th wheel hitch I can usually UN-latch it and let it "relax" you might say. BUT ALSO when you park and are fianlly ready to "UNHitch", usually one is already in park, and lots of times Emerg. Brake. SO what happens I think is that the TV is STILL pulling against the hitch OR Ball. SO I chock the wheels of the trailer (both directions always) ,Then take the truck outa park or at least Brake OFF. One can lots of time tell a slight movement of one or the other and then it will come off the ball/out of the hitch. also I always chock the wheels so when I back on to the trailer it does not slip backwards on me.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
ftwildernessguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steersall4 View Post
OK Maybe, maybe not, but I think I just may be able to offer a less physical effort. Having had 4-5 TT's back in the 70's and now 2 5th wheels first an 03 cougar and since and still an 04 285efs Cougar. I have found that both trailer types can have an UN-hitch thing. I found that with my sliding 5th wheel hitch I can usually UN-latch it and let it "relax" you might say. BUT ALSO when you park and are fianlly ready to "UNHitch", usually one is already in park, and lots of times Emerg. Brake. SO what happens I think is that the TV is STILL pulling against the hitch OR Ball. SO I chock the wheels of the trailer (both directions always) ,Then take the truck outa park or at least Brake OFF. One can lots of time tell a slight movement of one or the other and then it will come off the ball/out of the hitch. also I always chock the wheels so when I back on to the trailer it does not slip backwards on me.
I thought about that in the past, but for some reason never think to do it when I'm unhitching. It just seems easier to jump on the hitch and be done with it. The reality is, I'm just too lazy to go back into the truck to take the emergency brake off.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steersall4 View Post
SO I chock the wheels of the trailer (both directions always) ,Then take the truck outa park or at least Brake OFF. One can lots of time tell a slight movement of one or the other and then it will come off the ball/out of the hitch.
That's what I've always done. I put it into neutral and it takes the pressure off the ball. Minimal effort on my part--that's the way I like it .
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
witekjm

Decoupling

All, I made a trip to the dealer for a refresher course on decoupling. I found out that I was missing a step and that was to keep the hitch locked until trailer was level after undoing dual cam arms. I coupled and decoupled several times and each time the trailer decoupled with ease. That is such a relief! Now I can't wait to go camping. JW
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Bowline

Try this

I have experienced the same problem when unhitching my Cougar 27RLS. The ball was being retained in the forward part of the hitch receiver that is contoured around the ball. If there is any forward pressure being exerted on the hitch, the ball remains in place, and does not release. I found that if I unlock the hitch with the tongue pulling up slightly on the ball, then back the truck about an inch, the ball releases right away.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #15
ptodd47

I've learned from experience that if my 5th wheel doesn't unhook the first time I back the truck up slightly and it will unhook no problem.