Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #41
JimQ

Scott: you found an awesome site with GREAT folks. I'm thankful I found it when I did as I have learned so much. I have a feeling everything is going to work out fine for you and your trip to the states is going to be awesome. In May, there will be a truck that will fit your needs. PS: I checked out a couple of your videos on YouTube, very cool!
Old 02-17-2018, 04:04 AM   #42
Dave W

Scott - another place to look is ebay. Since a pickup is a way of life in Texas (even my Scottish SIL has one) there is exactly what you want there and at dealership stores. When I was looking for my '11 and found absolutely nothing locally for several months, found several in Texas that were exactly what I wanted. Luckily, the dealership that I had bought the previous one at had one just arrive on trade when it was needed for the new 5er.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #43
gearhead

Fortunately you will be looking for a truck in TEXAS! The pickup truck capital of the world. LOL
I would also try to find a body shop near the dealer to have a used truck inspected for previous body damage. Clear it with the dealer that the inspector can do that on-site. The dealer will probably advertise a "clear" CARFAX background which really isn't very trustworthy.
Just me, I would eliminate all this anguish and rent a Class C motorhome.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 02-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #44
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Fortunately you will be looking for a truck in TEXAS! The pickup truck capital of the world. LOL
I would also try to find a body shop near the dealer to have a used truck inspected for previous body damage. Clear it with the dealer that the inspector can do that on-site. The dealer will probably advertise a "clear" CARFAX background which really isn't very trustworthy.
You'll have to have a sack full of money to rent a class C for several months, not to mention less room, less fuel mileage, unless driving 2 vehicles trying to get around sightseeing. Plus once finished you'd have no problems selling the truck, but used rvs are worthless to every one but the owner.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #45
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Funny you should mention renting a class c. That is what we did last year, with a view to buying a used one. In the end we decided to go the TT and truck route instead of the class C.
This is the video of that amazing trip.
https://youtu.be/gjH9otEhIWI
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
Old 02-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #46
Frank G

For what it is worth, in 2016 we purchased a 2013 F250 XLT extended cab 4x4 with the 6.2 gas and 26,000 on the odometer. Towed a 35ft toyhauler 8K empty and 10.5K loaded. The truck was a "beast"! Traded it in a year with 46K on it for a Diesel and a fifth wheel. Loved the truck, solid performer, would do it again. Think we paid 24 and got 19 in the trade.

Good Luck
Old 02-18-2018, 02:37 AM   #47
notanlines

For what this might be worth, I got on CruiseAmerica.com and filled in the following info: Medium size class C, four months of rental, pick up and drop in Texas, 12,200 miles allowed, no extras like dishes or linen. Total cost including that pesky sales tax? $20,322.00 Payable on pickup.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 02-18-2018, 02:52 AM   #48
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
For what this might be worth, I got on CruiseAmerica.com and filled in the following info: Medium size class C, four months of rental, pick up and drop in Texas, 12,200 miles allowed, no extras like dishes or linen. Total cost including that pesky sales tax? $20,322.00 Payable on pickup.
Yep, totally. We rented one for a month. Because we are international, we had unlimited mileage, but the rental cost was NOT cheap. Still, we enjoyed our trip enough that it convinced us that RVing is something we want to do.
It would be interesting to find out how long those things take to pay for themselves on the rental market. Not long, I wouldn't think.
And yes, we had to buy our own linen and towels and dishes.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #49
Frank G

Can someone give the OP information on how to avoid the Hurricane flooded vehicles that were released for sale. Or were they all scrapped and destroyed???
Old 02-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #50
rzrbckr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Can someone give the OP information on how to avoid the Hurricane flooded vehicles that were released for sale. Or were they all scrapped and destroyed???
As far as I know, they were all scraped. Possibly for parts and partially for recycle. There were lots set up all over Houston to process.
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #51
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Frank: Thanks for bringing that up. I would like to see some opinions on this also. I had been wondering about this as well. I have been avoiding vehicles particularly from south Louisiana for that reason. Although I believe that they would have to show "Salvaged" or "rebuilt" or something like that on their title.

In any case, I live in an area that floods from time to time and anything that has gone under floodwater is instantly identifiable by the smell! There are other telltale signs a vehicle has been submerged as well. There will be surface rust and corrosion in places you wouldn't normally expect to get wet, like inside the cabin.

Where I live, a lot of 4WDs get driven on the beach which completely ruins their resale value. We are aware of the signs of this also and avoid such vehicles like the plague. I imagine the vehicles in the North of the US where they salt the roads in winter would have the same problems and symptoms. This is why I'm restricting my vehicle searches to the southern states.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 02-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #52
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I live in Missouri and have lived there or Illinois my entire life. We have always bought new vehicles for at least the last 25 years l have never had any problems with rust on ours. Never. I don't think that I am an exception. US cars are much better made than they were in the '70's. You may be limiting yourself from looking at some very fine trucks. Just a thought. YMMV, and that's ok.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 02-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #53
travelin texans

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/6484950077.html
I know this is more than you want/need, but had to give it a try!
Willing to do a package deal, truck & rv for $95 k.
Truck is a '13 GMC Denali 3500 DRW with Duramax/Allison, 115k miles, B&W turnover with 18k Companion 5th wheel hitch, rear seat entertainment system, sprayed bedliner w/ toolbox, truck is loaded.
Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #54
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/6484950077.html
I know this is more than you want/need, but had to give it a try!
Willing to do a package deal, truck & rv for $95 k.
Truck is a '13 GMC Denali 3500 DRW with Duramax/Allison, 115k miles, B&W turnover with 18k Companion 5th wheel hitch, rear seat entertainment system, sprayed bedliner w/ toolbox, truck is loaded.
Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Hey, thanks for the offer, but yeah it is way more than we need or have budgeted for. As we are retired, this project is totally funded from our savings, so penny pinching's the theme.
But thanks for thinking of us!

ctBruce: How long do you keep your vehicles for before trading them in?
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #55
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Hey, thanks for the offer, but yeah it is way more than we need or have budgeted for. As we are retired, this project is totally funded from our savings, so penny pinching's the theme.
But thanks for thinking of us!

ctBruce: How long do you keep your vehicles for before trading them in?
5 to 6 years usually. We run them through a car wash a couple of times a winter. It works for us. Most around us do the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #56
wiredgeorge

OP originally said that Flex Fuel capability was on the list. Why? Has anyone actually ever used that stuff? I had a 2013 F150 that was flex fuel capable and the dealer warned me not to use it as it hurt mileage and caused the truck to run hot.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 02-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #57
camperbrian

[QUOTE=FlyingAroundRV;268685]Hi:
We live in Australia and will be coming to the US in May/June this year (2018) to purchase a new Outback TT and a pickup to tow it with.

Did you research different trailers or just go with this one because it's called an Outback
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #58
FlyingAroundRV

Wiredgeorge:
I specified flex fuel mostlt to say that I don't want a diesel, but also to give me the flexibility to use ethanol added fuel if needed. Here in Oz, there are some *budget* stations that only sell ethanol added fuels, but with differing amounts of ethanol. I was thinking if I get caught out in downtown podunk and they only have e-xx fuels, I still want to be able to run it. Normally I choose not to run those fuels in my car or in my plane, although both are rated for it.

CamperBrian:
Funny you should mention that!
In fact our first encounter with an Outback TT was in a campground in TN, and my first reaction was *Harumph!* How dare they!!! Then when we went to the dealer in Elkhart, the first trailer he showed us through was an Outback. I gritted my teeth as I went in the door, took one look at the floor plan and fell in lust. Now I think it's funny and all our friends here go *Harumph!*.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 02-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #59
travelin texans

Most all off the US large metropolitan cities are required to use ethanol blended fuels up to 10%, which equates to about a 10% drop in fuel mileage. Some stations have E85 fuel available which is 15% ethanol, which is a few cents cheaper but also will cost you about 15% in fuel economy.
Coming from a career in the oil & gas industry the ethanol is very hard on all the pumping equipment. It cost the company boat loads of funds to upgrade equipment to briefly handle the ethanol.
IMHO the whole ethanol scam was/is just a market for farmers corn crops, not intending to step on farmers toes.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #60
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Most all off the US large metropolitan cities are required to use ethanol blended fuels up to 10%, which equates to about a 10% drop in fuel mileage. Some stations have E85 fuel available which is 15% ethanol, which is a few cents cheaper but also will cost you about 15% in fuel economy.
Coming from a career in the oil & gas industry the ethanol is very hard on all the pumping equipment. It cost the company boat loads of funds to upgrade equipment to briefly handle the ethanol.
IMHO the whole ethanol scam was/is just a market for farmers corn crops, not intending to step on farmers toes.
Is there any non-ethanol fuel available in the US? On our trip last July, I can't remember much about the gas we bought. I thought we mostly bought ethanol-free gas, but I couldn't swear to that.
2018 Outback 272UFL