Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Hodgy

Advantages and disadvantages of a fifth wheel.

I am not buying or interested in buying a fifth wheel, we just bought our TT this fall, the first one since we sold our last one in 87'.

I did a search on this site and others and could not find much on the advantages and disadvantages of a fifth wheel. I have lots of ideas rumbling around in my noggin but would like to hear from the group their ideas.

Maybe it could end up being a sticky on this sub-forum.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Javi

More space for the same footprint... more headroom... tows easier, no sway control needed... usually more storage (basement)... heavier with more payload...

But I'd think all these things are fairly obvious...
Old 01-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Javi has made some good points. We've (I've) been thinking about a 5th wheel for a year or more and Javi's points are some of the positives but here's where we are at;

5th wheels are heavier. I would trade my existing 3/4 ton in for a 1 ton diesel. Out of pocket expense of 10k or so.

5th wheels are more expensive than a bumper pull. Add another 30-40k to get something close to what we want.

A 5th wheel hitch eliminates my bed. To have any bed usage I would have to go to an 8' bed which I do not want nor would it fit in my garage.

I WANT my bed for storage of all kinds of stuff. With the hard bed cover it gives us lots of additional, weather proof storage.

I don't want to deal with installing and removing a 200lb hitch every time I want to use the bed.

We don't want the stairs. My wife has a pin in her leg and I've had about 8 knee surgeries (7 on one knee) with one knee replaced, removed for 3 months, then replaced again. I have no desire to negotiate stairs at night. A front living area would fix that but we don't really want to go up and down stairs to watch TV while I cook or we eat.

I would like one for all the reasons Javi lists and more. The roomy feel is worth a LOT to me. I spend up to 4 months at a time in ours and although very comfortable, I still get that penned in feeling. Don't know that the 5th wheel would cure that (don't know that any RV will eliminate it).

Just some thoughts that ran through my mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
XTeacher

We've had one fifth wheel (a bunkhouse model when the kids still camped with us) and several TTs over the years.

Pros: Steadier to tow w/out the need for a WDH/bars, more storage, less trailer sticking out totally behind the truck since some of it's in the bed of the truck.

Cons: 5th wheels are more expensive, need for a larger, more expensive truck, 5th wheel hitch takes up truck bed space and not easy to remove or put back in, the front of a 5th wheel feels (to me) to be coming through the back window b/c it's so close to the back window.

Overall, I like TTs better.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
busterbrown

For the obvious and forementioned reasons, 5th wheels have plenty of advantages with towability and livability. The larger profile coach is received well among most owners.

With a larger, taller footprint comes notable disadvantages to the 5th wheel trailer. State or federal parks can be an issue with 5vers as trees, campsite sizes, and park roads can be limiting. Lower profile travel trailers have the advantage of securing a greater number of spots just because of their reduced size.

Another factor many don't realize is that a good amount of RV owners live in mature, suburban communities. Low hanging tree canopies are very common. Advantage travel trailer with it's 10 foot height verses the 5th wheel at 13 plus feet. My subdivision trees would have destroyed my rubber roof on the first trip home from the RV dealer. This leads me to another concern...

Roof maintenance. Three feet doesn't seem like much. But it is when you're 13 feet up on an extension or coach-attached ladder. If you're an owner who likes to perform his/her own scheduled maintenance, a travel trailer can be a little more "roof friendly". I can comfortably inspect and wash the entire roof while standing safely on my 8 foot A-frame ground ladder.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
captcolour

To me it is all about length. Once we started looking above 35' in length, I did not want a TT. In my opinion, a 5th wheel is much more stable to tow with the right TV at long trailer length.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
rhagfo

Well there was a discussion on the pros and cons of a 5er to a TT.
5er Pros
More head room in the lower area bedroom depends.
More storage (basement)
More stable towing package
Shorter overall length for size of trailer

Cons
Taller (need to watch overhead clearance)
Typlicly more steps to enter
Steps between levels
Loss of part of truck bed

TT Pros
Less expensive for length
Lighter
Fewer steps to enter
No steps inside
Full use of TV bed if PU
PU not needed to tow

TT Cons
Less storage
Longer towing length
Lower ceiling height less spacious

I know it isn’t all, but a decent start.
I prefer a 5er I don’t see the loss of bed space a great loss, I use the basement to make up for it. We have a pin box bike rack, we can see while towing and doesn’t add to overall length.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
cathcartww

Expense is the biggest thing for us, with all the steps and overall height also major considerations. We also love to surf fish, so we tow with a 4x4 full size van so we can store our surf fishing rods inside without taking them apart. Also lots of room in the van for tools, dogs, and whatnot ....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #9
gearhead

I have too much time on my hands....I'm thinking of going the opposite direction..from 5th to TT. Mostly because of the steps. My DW hates them. I get a lot of..."while you're up there would you get.." Her knees and ankles aren't what they used to be.
My biggest issue is length. To get comparable space I'm looking at 37ft TT. Pulling that with a crew cab long bed is a long combination. I would like some input about how hard that is maneuvering around campgrounds. I can get the 5th about anywhere I need to, but I've never pulled a travel trailer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I have too much time on my hands....I'm thinking of going the opposite direction..from 5th to TT. Mostly because of the steps. My DW hates them. I get a lot of..."while you're up there would you get.." Her knees and ankles aren't what they used to be.
My biggest issue is length. To get comparable space I'm looking at 37ft TT. Pulling that with a crew cab long bed is a long combination. I would like some input about how hard that is maneuvering around campgrounds. I can get the 5th about anywhere I need to, but I've never pulled a travel trailer.
My Impact is 36.5 feet with a 12 foot garage. I've not had trouble in any of the parks we've been to. I have a 3500 Duramax SRW. With a 4 point Equalizer it pulls great. It is too heavy for a 3/4 ton, but I'm sure somebody is doing it. Just FYI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
I own a 35 foot Bullet that can get into just about any state park in Michigan. It swings wide on sharp turns so extra caution around fuel station pumps and park trees. I'm not sure I'd want to go any longer as my total length is 57 feet from TV front bumper to TT rear bumper. My Hensley hitch adds about an extra foot. I'd rather be closer to 50 feet in length but the kids need their bunkhouse.

Other manufacturers including FR make 33 feet couples trailers with 3 slides that won't sacrifice on interior space. I think most of Keystone's premium lineup requires you to be in the 36-37 foot range to capitalize on opposing living room slides and king size bedrooms.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #12
Hodgy

Well, just ask a simple question and look what you get . . . . .

A lot of quality answers, thank you all.

Some of the points brought up I had thought of, others were not even on my radar. The years of experience on this forum again comes up with quality discussion and valid points of view.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
My Impact is 36.5 feet with a 12 foot garage. I've not had trouble in any of the parks we've been to. I have a 3500 Duramax SRW. With a 4 point Equalizer it pulls great. It is too heavy for a 3/4 ton, but I'm sure somebody is doing it. Just FYI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
There's a lot folks hauling 5th wheels with 1/2 & 3/4 trucks that aren't near enough truck, but "the salesman said it would no problem".
As for 5th wheel or travel trailer, we chose the 5er for the room inside, storage outside, easy to maneuver, but we were fulltime in it the last 10 years so it all depends on your likes/needs. Myself I'll take me 38' 5er over a 37' TT any day as far towability & comfort.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's a lot folks hauling 5th wheels with 1/2 & 3/4 trucks that aren't near enough truck, but "the salesman said it would no problem".
As for 5th wheel or travel trailer, we chose the 5er for the room inside, storage outside, easy to maneuver, but we were fulltime in it the last 10 years so it all depends on your likes/needs. Myself I'll take me 38' 5er over a 37' TT any day as far towability & comfort.
Me too

Javi
Old 01-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Our fifth wheel is only 31', so we don't have the "luxury" of the added 7' that's in a 38 footer. Ours works for us for a number of reasons, just as owners of larger or smaller units will say theirs works for them. For us, our pole barn is 32' long. A 38' fifth wheel would have to sit outside which is not what we wanted. If we were to have a travel trailer, to enjoy the same benefits as our 31' fifth wheel, it would need to be about 36' to 38' long, which would not fit in the pole barn.

But, for us, the biggest advantage to a fifth wheel is the ability to tow our boat behind the trailer. That's something we couldn't do with a travel trailer. That said, there are several western states that do allow towing a trailer behind a travel trailer, but those states are "few and far between" and don't include where we live and where we typically tow.

So, for us, the fifth wheel allows a shorter trailer and the added ability to tow our boat. Those two were our motivation for a fifth wheel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
Bob Landry

The only advantage to me would be the reduced length of truck and trailer and easier to handle and tow.
I see no increase in space or headroom. When the roof goes up in the front part of the trailer, so does the floor, so the net gain is little to none.
They look cool and let you get into spaces that may have length restrictions, but the trade off is not forth the additional $20K or the upgrade to a bigger truck to pull it.
I'm good with my Outback. JMHO

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

My TT is right at 37' long. I think the box is 32', maybe a little over. I pull with a Ram 2500, CC, 6.4L w/6.4' bed. It tows very well with the Equalizer hitch. Total length is probably around 57' or so.

I haven't had many issues with it but the total length comes into play making narrow turns on single lane streets; you have to swing wide and take the oncoming lane. Being a gas truck you can sometimes find yourself in a pretty tight spot at a gas station but I always look them over first before committing and have my route planned. I've not had an issue in a park....yet. We stay in improved parks most of the time. I have not taken this on into the boonies. I have had to fit into some pretty tight spots but nothing has been undoable, and I've never had a park say I was too long. I do think that some state parks, or rural parks, might be a little too tight. There is one down the way from me here in FL I've looked at Newport RV park I believe. Typical rural rv park for trailers, tents etc. There are all kinds of sites there and no pull throughs. There are several that we could get into if we went there....but only those; the rest are way too tight so you would have to do your due diligence before trying to pull in there - I suspect it would be like that in many places. You just have to remember that tail end is way back there pulling in a different arc than you are.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
XTeacher

I can't imagine pulling a TT longer than around 30 feet. We've had a 31 foot TT, but our current one is 28'10", stem to stern. We didn't want anything much longer, since we camp mainly at state and federal campgrounds. The swing around room needed to back into a site increases with length, and some campgrounds have narrow roads. Longer than that, it seems like a 5ver would be better/easier/more stable. JMHO.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #19
allmi01

Here is an answer to the question of towing a TT vs. 5'er of the same length.

Previous TT was a 2013 Cougar HC 319RLS which was as I recall 36' 6". I've towed it with my Excursion diesel and with my F350 CC DRW. I had no issues getting around with it and in fact sometimes it's a bit easier to get around in tight spaces than my 39' 8" Montana 5'er.

That said, I have not had issue with the Montana getting around anywhere either.

5'ers back up differently than TT's do. 5'ers are more forgiving in that it takes more initial TV movement to get the 5'er to turn than a TT does. That can be both a good thing and a bad one depending on what you are trying to do with how much space. One is not better than the other, IMHO, just different.

Mike
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #20
Pmedic4

Our 2 cent's worth

First, I have to say we have a short fifthwheel, 31' total, but we've also had a 31' TT. Towing, no question, fiver is better. I hated towing the TT, even with WDH and Anti-sway bars. Part of it, of course was our choice of tow vehicle, but I think this is a common issue with many people who want a TT, they just want to use the family suburban/van/half-ton truck, and call it good. Also when we did purchase the TT, we didn't have all the excellent information that make up this and the many other RV forums. Newbie mistake, I admit it.

Lost TV bed space. Yep, but with current puck mount systems, you can remove it, even though it is exceptionally heavy. Do wonder about the Anderson aluminum hitch system? Taking stuff with, with no truck bed space? Yeah, but we've adapted. However, the fiver has a lot more storage, and I'm finding I'm not taking stuff in and out of the truck bed when going on a trip.

Out stairs aren't bad, much better than many motorhomes, and most fivers, and about the same as a TT with larger or many slides. But that's just our fiver.

The real space we notice most in our fiver is the bathroom, it is much better than many TT. I'm certain there are some TT models that are as nice, but that's our big benefit. My DW and I like this the most.

The only thing we'd like in a better fiver is one with dual opposing rear slides. The space is great, but even many TT have this, but then again it pushes up the weight and you're back to a bigger vehicle and that cost factor many people point out (because fivers take a bigger TV), is just accepting the wrong TV for one of the bigger TT.

But I can see a place for TT, just I like my fiver.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, vantage