Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Adventurider

Keystone Faded nose cap Fix

well, my 2 year old TH has recently been looking like it's about 7 years old or more. The black paint was so oxidized that I litterally had to buff and wax monthly. Keystone really couldn't care less, after going round and round with them, they found it in their hearts to "Help" me by covering 50% of a repaint.

To say I'm not impressed is an understatement.

Anyway, I decided to go a different route than paint because, frankly, i'm not interested in running around with the companies name on it for free. As I said when I used to race. "Nobody rides for free" when it came to sponsor stickers etc.

I found a vinyl wrap company locally that could help me out. The picture is literally 12 hours after it was done, so it's still settling out, it'll get more glossy as it warms up etc.

The plus of this, bugs are WAY easier to clean off the vinyl wrap, and if I want to change it up, no problem, peel it off and do something different. My father in law likes it so much, he's planning on doing his just to protect his good paint.

Bonus points to anyone that can tell me what the graphic is

Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

Valves for a v-twin motorcycle?

I wonder how PlastiDip would do on the front cap?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Adventurider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Valves for a v-twin motorcycle?

I wonder how PlastiDip would do on the front cap?
Bonus for what manufacturer. They used this setup on Single and Multi Cylinder engines.

Plastidip on the front of any vehicle isn't going to last long.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurider View Post
Bonus for what manufacturer. They used this setup on Single and Multi Cylinder engines.

Plastidip on the front of any vehicle isn't going to last long.
Is it Ducati?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Adventurider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Is it Ducati?
You win the satisfaction of being a gear head, send me the bill!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:

Bonus points to anyone that can tell me what the graphic is

]
A two cylinder Margaritaville?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
SmittysRV

Looks Good! Whats the cost of doing that? Keystone pick up the tab? My front cap looks like crap and its only 3 years old and I constantly clean and wax it. Sux

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Adventurider

Keystone picked up a portion of the tab, and it was painful and took a couple of months of "Discussion's" with them to get that. I say, try and see what you can get.

This was a "sponsorship" deal I made with the Vinyl company. I'd estimate that full retail of getting this done would be about $10-15 Sq/Ft
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Bigg-limo

Quote:
Keystone picked up a portion of the tab, and it was painful and took a couple of months of "Discussion's" with them to get that. I say, try and see what you can get.

This was a "sponsorship" deal I made with the Vinyl company. I'd estimate that full retail of getting this done would be about $10-15 Sq/Ft
They paid 100% of my repaint. As far as that goes, I'm not gonna complain.
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Portola1

Keystone recently covered 100% of a redo on my end cap. A 2012 Outback.
Portola1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Adventurider

now i'm mad.

If you both could send me some information to go back to Keystone, that would be great. PM me directly. VIN#'s would be awesome. Time to go at them with both barrels.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
Ducatibilt

The nose graphic on my 2011 Raptor Velocity has been slowly fading and cracking to the point where it looks like crap now too. It makes no sense either because my trailer stays in covered storage and the rest of the graphics all look great. I was getting ready to go to them and see about getting them to send me a replacement but after seeing yours now I like the idea of doing the full wrap on the front.

Wished I would have seen this post earlier, pretty sure I would have gotten the bonus points!
Ducatibilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
SmittysRV

Quote:
now i'm mad.

If you both could send me some information to go back to Keystone, that would be great. PM me directly. VIN#'s would be awesome. Time to go at them with both barrels.
Im with ya. I wanna hit them with some real time info.. It crazy how bad my front cap looks. Send the info my way tooo pls!!!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
kazuaki

My 2013 Raptor nose graphics looked pretty bad already.

I'm fairly certain new graphics would buy me some time, but it would fade again. So, here was my solution:

The graphics down the sides of the cap are perfect still. Just the huge wallpaper graphics s in the center and the big "Raptor" were faded.
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
Adventurider

graphics/stickers/decals are one thing. But mine, the actual paint was dead, full on oxidized to the point of no return, no amount of buffing would fix short of taking it all the way down to the base coat.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
SmittysRV

Quote:
graphics/stickers/decals are one thing. But mine, the actual paint was dead, full on oxidized to the point of no return, no amount of buffing would fix short of taking it all the way down to the base coat.
Good point, I need to get up there and take a closer look to see where I am at.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
kazuaki

Quote:
Yeah, that sucks. I'd think the paint would be more durable than that.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
My 2013 Raptor nose graphics looked pretty bad already.

I'm fairly certain new graphics would buy me some time, but it would fade again. So, here was my solution:

The graphics down the sides of the cap are perfect still. Just the huge wallpaper graphics s in the center and the big "Raptor" were faded.
I think people are referring to the actual paint of the cap fading, not fading of the stickers. You are lucky because you have a white cap which would not be so noticeable. Its the people with the darker caps(black, gray, brown) where it really stands out. Your stickers have not faded, but have damage from UV rays. The reddish color is actually the base layer in the graphic and the top color is coming off from sun exposure. There is an over laminate like Tedlar that is covering the actual graphic. The over laminate looks to be in decent shape but the ink/graphic (likely printed four color process) is failing due to ultraviolet light.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #19
kazuaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
I think people are referring to the actual paint of the cap fading, not fading of the stickers. You are lucky because you have a white cap which would not be so noticeable. Its the people with the darker caps(black, gray, brown) where it really stands out. Your stickers have not faded, but have damage from UV rays. The reddish color is actually the base layer in the graphic and the top color is coming off from sun exposure. There is an over laminate like Tedlar that is covering the actual graphic. The over laminate looks to be in decent shape but the ink/graphic (likely printed four color process) is failing due to ultraviolet light.
Understood, thanks for the explanation. Sad that I took those pics when it was only just over a year old. By the time I pulled the stickers off last week, it was much worse. I'm hoping the white gelcoat should be easier to maintain, just wax it twice a year maybe.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
Understood, thanks for the explanation. Sad that I took those pics when it was only just over a year old. By the time I pulled the stickers off last week, it was much worse. I'm hoping the white gelcoat should be easier to maintain, just wax it twice a year maybe.
I'm going to pull my front sticker here as soon as I can find some free time (NOT). I would love to have a custom front cap cover made for when mine is either re stickered or waxed back to new....