Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Povo

Avoiding awning stain

We currently have a 2008 Cougar 276RLS and are about to purchase a 2014 Cougar 327RES. My question is: is there any way to keep the awning looking good and avoid the staining that seems to be prevalent on most RVs awnings? I've tried to make sure it's dry before retracting it but that isn't always possible. I bought some "miracle" solution at an RV show but it didn't seem to do anything. Suggestions?
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Laredo291OH

I'm sure there will be folks who won't like my answer..... but here it is anyway. When I wash the camper, and the awning, I mix in a little bit of Westleys White Wall cleaner. This works very well at cleaning the streaks from the sides of the camper and all of the stains off of the awning, both top and bottom. This is 3rd summer on this camper, it sets outside with no cover all year long thru Ohio heat, humidity and winters and the fiberglass, decals and awning still look great. That being said, I do wax the camper several times a year and have started using Aerospace 303 for the roof. Have thought about trying the Aerospace 303 fabric protector on the awning, but haven't done that yet.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
byrdr1

Friend of my son in law has a pool business on the side. he told my SIL to use chlorine to treat the awning. same type fabric as most pool liners. once its clean it will keep the mold off. Mold I believe is what stains it most of the time. I cleaned mine after summer trip with LA Awesome from the dollar general store. then sprayed 1/2 cup clorox cut into 2 gallons of water and it was looking good the other weekend when I rolled it out and we have had lots and lots of rain this summer around the house.
Now I haven't tried this.. but I do know its lot harder to clean the electric awnings versus the manual awnings.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

HI I wash mine once a year in a 5 gal bucket i pour in bout 1/2 cup of bleach the rest water cleans them up nice. the white wall cleaner sounds like a good idea too bleach is cheaper! i steal it from the DW so it free right?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

1/4 cup of bleach, 1/4 cup of dawn, 1 gallon of water. Mix well, extend the awning, use a mop or soft brush, coat the top side of the awning. Roll the awning up for one hour, extend, brush the bottom and then the top, rinse well and let dry.

There is no way to keep the awning dry. Even if you dry it and then roll it up, as soon as it rains, water will creep into the rolls causing the awning to become wet. So, it's going to mold if you don't use it often (hint hint) and keep it clean with some method that's relatively easy to do (so it's not a big chore). I prefer the above method. When you wet the top of the awning and roll it up, it coats the dawn/bleach on the underside as well. While it's sitting for the hour, it does its work "loosening" the grime. Then just brush it off, rinse and enjoy

The key to keeping the awning clean is to clean it before it gets stained. It's a lot easier to clean a "clean awning" than it is to try to remove stains from an awning that hasn't been cleaned since last fall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
therink

X2 what JRTJH said

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Outbackmel

Awning

Yep, bleach\water mix. Coat it and roll that puppy in. Give it at least 15 minutes, roll it out and gently wash the crapo right off. Takes longer sitting closed if really grimy. I clean mine often. Hate to sit under unsightly awning.
Then again, I am retired so time is not an issue.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Jim W

I just found a new product to me it has been on the market for 35 years. It is called: Wet & Forget. I am using this on my Timbertech composite deck to clean mold and mildew from the deck. You spray the product on and let it dry over time the rain and wind clean the deck works great could not believe it would be that simple.

So I read up on this product and it is recommended for RV roofs and awnings for cleaning. The roof you just spray on and forget, but the awning will require a little help since it is not exposed to rain from the underside. This will require you to wet the awning with water after the Wet & Forget has dried. This may take a couple of times to get the awning to look as good as new since the product works over time. As far is this safe I think it is since the PH balance of Wet & Forget is rated as a number 8 and water PH balance is a 7. This product can be bought at your local Ace-hardware.

Here is a link to the product home page. http://wetandforget.com/

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
tileman

Just did both of mine on the toyhauler used Simple Green let it set a few min and hit with the brush.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Povo

There is a lot iof great advice here - especially the part about cleaning ahead of time. Part of my challenge is that is has to be stored for the winter. But I can see some forethought will help me keep it looking good - something I negleted to do with my current one. Live & learn (hopefully).

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
E597283

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Just did both of mine on the toyhauler used Simple Green let it set a few min and hit with the brush.
x2..just cleaned it the other day. I wish there was a way to keep the rain from getting in while parked in storage between trips. I get the stains back if it sits there a month and usually has a fair amount of water in the roll when i extend it out.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Some people have used 2 liter soft drink bottles cut to fit the ends of the awning. They help keep some of the rain out. You may find a better sized disposable container that fits your awning better than the 2 liter does. Keep your eyes open and as you shop through hardware and grocery stores, think "awning".... sooner or later the "perfect sized bottle" will be right there, on the shelf, just saying, "take me home big guy"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #13
pookie210

Simple Green is our go-to cleaner for all things RV/boat related. DH tried the Awesome with similar results as Simple Green. Didn't think about the Westley's for tough spots though. Great idea!!
pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Rock7

clean awning

Mr Clean Magic Eraser on a mop handle, Family Dollar Store $12.95
I have the arms that come loose from trailer, drop it down by sliding arms under trailer. Awning flat on the side and you can clean about as fast as you can walk. Under side is another story, You will get wet , but it is quick.
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
abneynormal

simple green

I use it for everything. we went to key west over a year ago. the freightliner had a leaking o ring behind the air compressor and was blowing a gallon every 200 miles. when we got home the 3912 was coated with oil and grime. I use a pump sprayer mixed 50/50 and a big bucket with a brush. spray the rig then brush and rinse. once I have the top and sides done I do the slideout toppers and the awnings. best of all ther is no basic or acidic chemicals used in simple green. because yes im soaked when im done