Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Glide585

Leveling a 5th wheel by hand

I have a 2005 314 Efs and was wondering if I can level it better without a truck ? If was very difficult to get in spot and it need to come up another 2 inches on the awning side. Can I use a floor jack? Thanks in advance
Glide585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Bluewater

We just use a short piece of 2X8 and place it under the tires. Easy to do.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Glide585

Sorry I should have explained better. It is already up 5 inches on the awning side and I need to go another 2. But getting in and out with truck is a ton of work.. Can I just use a floor jack?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
MarkS

How to jack up a trailer is a controversial subject. The manual says to jack up the frame rather than the axel. People don't like to do it that way because the suspension travel means you have to jack the frame way up. At the same time jacking the axel can damage the axel.

If you have a 5er, you will also need to adjust the landing gear. I don't know how to do that without the truck.

Don't forget to crank up the stabilizers.

7 inches? Scary.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post

7 inches? Scary.
I agree. Scary. If there were other sites available that were more level, I'd be moving. If not, I'd just put up with it and wear runners with good grips! Sounds too dangerous to be fiddling around with bottle jacks and walking around inside your RV.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Glide585

Well I have a railroad tie underage wheels it now.. Just need to jack it up enough to add a 2x10.. I'm on a lake front and it slopes towards the water.. All the other campers have similar set ups.. Wasn't planning on using a bottle jack but a 3 ton floor jack.. Was wondering if anyone has done this or not?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Using a jack is inherently dangerous, and doubly so on uneven ground. So perform the following at your own risk.

In this case I would definitely jack a single axle at a time---not by the frame. Why? Because you are on a serious side slope, and frame jacking effectively lifts both wheels and one of the front jacks all at once---replacing three points of contact with the ground with just one, increasing the chance of a sideways slide. Also, a three-ton jack may be pushed near its limit raising half the weight of a 31-foot trailer---another good reason to do one axle at a time.

Make sure the jack is contacting only the U-bolt, not the axle tube or a spring. You will also need to find a second 2x10, or cut yours in half. Finally, keep in mind a 2x10 is actually only 1.5 inches thick.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Glide585

Thank you that's the response I was looking for
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
diugo
Permanent User Ban

As MarkS pointed out, once the wheels are raised N inches, you should also consider raising the landing gear leg on the awning side by N inches---otherwise your frame will be torqued.

You can do this without a truck (dangerously) by firmly sticking a strong beam or log under the kingpin, retracting the landing gear til the kingpin rests on the beam, retracting the gear another N inches, extending the leg N inches, then re-extending the gear til the trailer is level.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Glide585

Thank you for the good clear answers.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
gkainz

I would trench down under the uphill wheels before jacking up what sounds like an already precarious blocking arrangement, but that's just me.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Stublejumper

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I would trench down under the uphill wheels before jacking up what sounds like an already precarious blocking arrangement, but that's just me.
I have done that many times as well ,that way the steps do not become a diving board.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
Glide585

Good idea. I will try first. But will still have to jack it to dig out. So possibly just as dangerous.

Thanks again
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you are in a "semi-permanent" site and that the trailer will be there for a while. If this is the situation, then if you're going to dig the "off side" wheel space to help level the trailer, you may as well just measure how much needs to be removed, hitch up and pull the trailer forward to clear the area, remove the dirt and back it into position.

If you jack that side to remove the dirt, remember, you'll also have to jack the raised side to remove the current leveling blocks.

You might as well just move the trailer forward and do it the right way. In the end, by the time you jack every wheel to "adjust" under them, it would be simpler to just get the RV out of the way.

If you're going to be in the spot for just a couple of days, I'd leave it alone. You've lived with it so far, what's one or two more days? Just use the current situation as a "lesson learned" and dig the high side out before leveling next time.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Glide585

It is in a semi permanent spot. The problem is that there are trailer on either side of me that have to pull their slides in for me to maneuver it in.. But thanks for your reply
Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
instymp

We have a place on the lake also & leave it there, and the guy we hired to set it uses a bottle jack on the frame & had to jack the lake side up about 18 inches, with block & wood till it was level. This isn't a normal leveling job as when one is towing & camping.
Freaks me out but he does it all the time. Jacker beware!!
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote