Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
MichiganMarty

A/C Thermostat Location

Hi All!

Like others on this forum, we too had issues of sufficient cooling in 85+ degree weather. To fix this, I just installed a second a/c unit in the front bedroom of our 3712TS Toy Hauler.

The question is, are we going to have an issue with the factory thermostat location? The thermostat was factory installed on the wall above the steps going into the front bedroom.

The new a/c unit (a Coleman 13.5k unit) has it's own thermostat on the inside grill. One vent faces forward, the other rearward (toward the original thermostat).

I do not see how the wall mounted thermostat will not shut off the main a/c when the rear vent is blowing cool air across it.

Has anyone else here added a 2nd a/c unit with the main thermostat in a similar location? Did you relocate the thermostat?
2006 Raptor 3712TS on top of a Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver
MichiganMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
randy69

Themostat location

I also had a 2nd air installed in bedroom raptor lev361 and the termostat is where yours is. I going to buy a digital colen mach. Direct replacement of the anolog. What I was told was the anolog thermostat has a 10 to 15 degree change before it will come on or go off. The digital is 1 degree change. I also pulled the cover of the kitchen air and block off the air ducts going to bedroom. As soon as I replace the thermostat I will post on if it solves the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raptor 5th wheel 013.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1524  
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
MichiganMarty

Randy69,

I don't know about a on / off 15 degree swing. Mine does not do that - it may swing 4 or 5 degrees between off an on again, but certainly not 15.

However, with a digital's 1 degree differential, your unit will be cycling all the time. These campers are not very efficient in the HVAC department, due to construction with limited insulation.

Are you sure they didn't tell you the digital has a 1 degree accuracy? I know my analog thermostat is not accurate because if we set it at 70 degrees for a/c, I freeze in there (when the a/c can keep up).
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
randy69

One degree does sound too close

Your right 1 deg little to close for controlling. My problem is the main ducted air isn't doing the job.(15000btu) so we turn the bedroom way down (13500btu) To help out. Maybe take a fan and blow some of that bedroom air into the kitchen. Sense we drycamp a lot we use the 10' garage as a 2nd bedroom. Another area to cool. We're talking about 100 deg +
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Roberson4

Hey MichiganMarty,

Yes your main thermostat will be affected by the 2nd air in that location. Our main thermostat was actually IN the front bedroom of our 5ver. Before I added the 2nd air I relocated it. Now it is in the same location yours is. On the wall beside the stairs leading into the bedroom. We keep our door closed at night so it is affected less. I keep the main thermostat fan set to 'on', so air is always circulated thru the rv.

I wish the main thermostat was located closer to the back of our 5ver. At this point it would be a pain (or impossible) to reroute the thermostat wires to the location I want the main thermostat. They do however make some thermostats that will operate off a remote sensor. So that is also a possibility.

BTW Yeah, I know I could use a surface mounted channel to the walls/ceiling to reroute the wires to the new location. However, my OCD does not allow for this type of wire rerouting.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
MichiganMarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberson4 View Post
We keep our door closed at night so it is affected less.
Roberson,
The bedroom door in our Raptor encloses the thermostat in the bedroom side of the door. Our only option is to pull the curtain to separate the bedrom from the rest of the camper - but that isn't what we want to do.

I will just have to bite the bullet and figure out how to get the wires down a different wall in the living space. The problem may be the wires for the furnace probably come from below, while the a/c wires probably come from above. Either way, I'll have to do some splicing in for length. And then there is putting some sort of acceptable patch over the holes from the old location. Sheesh!