Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
cms

Toy Hauler Garage Insulation question?

Hello folks,

I'm new here but not totally new to Toy haulers.

My experience has been with a Forest River XLR. Do you guys know if the floor is insulated in the Raptor's and Fusions?

Is the whole garage insulated as good as the rest of the camper?

My dads XLR, we use the garage as a entertainment room when the toys are out. We sweat in the summer and freeze in the winter.

I can't seem to get the answer I want from the dealers. They all say that they are all insulated the same. Thats why I am asking.

Thanks Mark
cms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
matandjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms View Post
Hello folks,

I'm new here but not totally new to Toy haulers.

My experience has been with a Forest River XLR. Do you guys know if the floor is insulated in the Raptor's and Fusions?

Is the whole garage insulated as good as the rest of the camper?

My dads XLR, we use the garage as a entertainment room when the toys are out. We sweat in the summer and freeze in the winter.

I can't seem to get the answer I want from the dealers. They all say that they are all insulated the same. Thats why I am asking.

Thanks Mark
We have a 2011 Fuzion 360 touring edition and the garage is insultated. It also has AC and heating since it can be used as a bedroom. We have had no issues even on the hottest of days.
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
BigCajun

The floor of my 2010 Raptor is not insulated. The walls and ceiling are the same as the rest of the coach. There is one a/c duct and no heat duct in my toybox.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
BMcCutcheon

Unhappy

You would have thought that they would have extended the heat ducting into the garage. My Outback Toy Hauler has both heat and Air ported back there.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
cms

I know some of you guys might be basis but... who insulated their campers the best? Brand wise?

It really aggrevates me that these companies don't insulate the toy box section as much!! I mean I know it's for hauling toys but I want to use it for a bed room or a entertainment room. It's need to be cool in the summer and warm in the winter like the rest of the coach!!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
cms

Has anybody added insulation under the toybox section?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
BigCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCutcheon View Post
You would have thought that they would have extended the heat ducting into the garage. My Outback Toy Hauler has both heat and Air ported back there.
Yes, I agree! It's a bit aggravating that I have two drop down bunks back there and no heat.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
misplacedtxn

The link below shows where a guy ran some ducting from his furnace thru the front wall of the garage on a 3612ds. Can it be done on a 2007 3712?

http://www.familymotorsports.com/selfhelp/index.htm

Pulled by:
2004 5.9 Dodge Cummins 3500 DRW 6spd 4X4 HO 305/555 3:73, Quadzilla XZT, Ranch Hand front end, Brown's running boards, Donaldson 41" muffler, B&W gooseneck w/ companion.
misplacedtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCajun View Post
Yes, I agree! It's a bit aggravating that I have two drop down bunks back there and no heat.
Unless it's sub-freezing, I almost never use the furnace anyway. Our Avalanche has the FP option.... And before when we had our Toy Hauler, we used two small ceramic heaters.

Why use propane assuming you have electric at your camp site?

One ceramic heater on the 750 or 900 watt setting will likely keep the divided garage area unbearably warm if running full-time. You'd likely set the thermostat about 1/2 way down.

Even on 30 amp service, we would run one heater on high (1500W) and one on low (750 or 900 can't remember) and it would keep our 37' TH at 60-65 degrees when the air temp was in the 30s.

We'd then set the furnace at 50 at night as a "just in case".
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
matandjen

We also have an electric fireplace and have found that it works Very well in heating the coach
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
BigCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacedtxn View Post
The link below shows where a guy ran some ducting from his furnace thru the front wall of the garage on a 3612ds. Can it be done on a 2007 3712?

http://www.familymotorsports.com/selfhelp/index.htm
Been wanting to do that to mine. Next holiday I might tackle that!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
randy69

Inslulation on the bottom keystone toyhauler ???

Nope there isn't any inslation on the bottom .. Just Wax coated carboard. How do I know ??? . I wanted to put in some more tie down bracketts in the floor. Had to unscrew and cut the cardboard. No insluation, Infact you will see what kind of craftmanship keystone has... electrical wires running through holes that were torched. No plactic insutlaing around the burt slag hole. And Putting back the cardboard. O my God ... Better buy some angle iron to support the cardboard. Other wise it will not lay flat to the undercarriage. Need that ugly foam to cover all cracks to prevent water from getting above cardboard.... KEYSTONE YOUR CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP... and want big money....
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
randy69

Safety the dealer said

I question about no heater vents in the garage. The dealer said keystone made some toyhaulers with and later without because of possibe gasoline fumes from toys going into heater vent. Explosion!
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote