Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #21
duh1

I tried three different generators to run the a.c. In a 2910bh and none would run it and restart the a.c. When it powered down after it cooled off the trailer. Only a champion 3500 would run it consistently without overloading. Home.depot was great in allowing me to keep upgrading till I got the 3500. Would buy, hook up , test it out, take it back next day when it failed to run as and move up to the next bigger. My requirement was to run the a.c. And be light enough that I could lift it by myself. The 3500 does both. And starts instantly everytime!! Three years old now.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #22
dryflycaster

Hello All,

A couple years a go we were using a Ryobi Inverter Genny (2200 Starting 1800 Running). We have a Avenger ATI and I have no idea what the A/C is rated at, (BTUs or Wattage).

The Roybi would power the camper along with the A/C with no problems as long as nothing else major was running (like the hot water or even the microwave). As soon as anything else major turned on the Genny would overload and trip off line. We used that particular Genny until the carburetor started giving us fits (the needle valve in the carb would intermittently fail to seat and it would start leaking gas in a big way.

We had a long trip planned (with no shore power available) so I just finally said the heck with it and purchased a Yamaha EF3000iS (I think it's about 2800 Watts). So far the Yamaha has performed flawlessly (knock on wood, we are headed out in 3 days) and has never tripped on overload.

On a side note to this, just before we retired the Ryobi and we bought the Yamaha I was researching a "Hard Start Capacitor" change out for the Ryobi. Many people claim it solves most of the tripping on startup problems with the 2000 Watt Gennies. I never got to the point of changing the capacitor so I can't comment one way or the other if it works or not. If you Google "Hard Start Capacitor" (no quotation marks) you should get a lot of relevant hits. I believe the capacitor is suppose to help every time the A/C starts and draws a lot of power.

Our neighbor on the last trip we were on was having Genny issues so I ran a very long extension cord to his camper so he could charge up. He was so impressed he drove to the closest village and bought a new Yamaha Genny.

Good Luck !
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #23
LewisB

In a previous trailer, we had one 15K AC unit. It had soft start and would (just barely) start with a Honda 3000 inverter/generator. I loved this generator unit! Quiet, fuel efficient, electric start, ran forever, worked in 115F temperatures, had a 5 gallon tank that easily lasted all night! I had enough space under the trailer front overhang that I built a cabinet that allowed me to use the generator whenever we wanted. We used it a lot for about 5 years and I should have kept it - but let it go with the trailer.

I don't think a 2000 would have run my AC. With generators, IMHO you get what you pay for...if you are all about saving money, then get a cheap imitation anything...if you want reliability, runs all night, works for years...well, you get what you pay for.

2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
WDPatterson

For the first six months that we put our fifth wheel on our property, I ran a Champion Power Equipment model 100222 gasoline-powered generator with 4000w Peak and 3400w Runtime.

After about six months, we purchased a Champion Power Equipment 100216 gasoline powered, open frame generator which put out 4500 Watts Peak and 3650 Continuous.

We have since purchased two more of the 100216 generators in order to facilitate rotation of power plants while doing maintenance.

I say all this, because I want you to understand that I've had quite a bit of experience over the last 2 years with what it takes to run a 15000 BTU air conditioner, refrigerator, ice maker, television set, blow dryer, and anything else you may have in mind.

You can run the air the refrigerator, the ice maker. You can shut down the ice maker, and run the water heater. You can shut down the ice maker, and the water heater, and use the blow dryer.

Keep in mind that all of this is working with a 30 amp output. The 100216 has a 34 amp Peak and a 31 amp constant.

I have used a micro air Soft start, and took it off. During the heat of the summer, the air conditioners runs at it's highest amperage. The peak start is at 52 amps, and the soft start does not facilitate it very well. The running amperage is 11.25 amps on one leg, and 10.38 amps on the other leg. That is with a grounded neutral.

If a 15000 BTU air conditioner takes 3500 watts to start and 1500 watts to run, you'll be using the entire capacity of any smaller generator. Even if you use the soft start, which takes that starting Peak and cuts it to half, you're still using 1800 to 2000 to start, and over three-quarters of the capacity of these 2200 watt generators.

Also, you have to take into account that not all of these generators run at advertised specifications. And, as previously mentioned they won't run very well at all at higher elevations. Quality of fuel also comes into question. And, then, there is maintenance.

In a nutshell, do yourself a favor, get at least 3650 continuous Watts. Those who try to run at 2200 watts are using the full capacity of their generator. It will wear out a whole lot sooner.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #25
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
For the first six months that we put our fifth wheel on our property, I ran a Champion Power Equipment model 100222 gasoline-powered generator with 4000w Peak and 3400w Runtime.

After about six months, we purchased a Champion Power Equipment 100216 gasoline powered, open frame generator which put out 4500 Watts Peak and 3650 Continuous.

We have since purchased two more of the 100216 generators in order to facilitate rotation of power plants while doing maintenance.

I say all this, because I want you to understand that I've had quite a bit of experience over the last 2 years with what it takes to run a 15000 BTU air conditioner, refrigerator, ice maker, television set, blow dryer, and anything else you may have in mind.

You can run the air the refrigerator, the ice maker. You can shut down the ice maker, and run the water heater. You can shut down the ice maker, and the water heater, and use the blow dryer.

Keep in mind that all of this is working with a 30 amp output. The 100216 has a 34 amp Peak and a 31 amp constant.

I have used a micro air Soft start, and took it off. During the heat of the summer, the air conditioners runs at it's highest amperage. The peak start is at 52 amps, and the soft start does not facilitate it very well. The running amperage is 11.25 amps on one leg, and 10.38 amps on the other leg. That is with a grounded neutral.

If a 15000 BTU air conditioner takes 3500 watts to start and 1500 watts to run, you'll be using the entire capacity of any smaller generator. Even if you use the soft start, which takes that starting Peak and cuts it to half, you're still using 1800 to 2000 to start, and over three-quarters of the capacity of these 2200 watt generators.

Also, you have to take into account that not all of these generators run at advertised specifications. And, as previously mentioned they won't run very well at all at higher elevations. Quality of fuel also comes into question. And, then, there is maintenance.

In a nutshell, do yourself a favor, get at least 3650 continuous Watts. Those who try to run at 2200 watts are using the full capacity of their generator. It will wear out a whole lot sooner.
WDPatterson, both of the generators you noted in your post look to be open-frame contractor-style generators, not quiet inverter generators. The much louder open-frame models are fine for at home if you're not in an urban subdivision or when boondocking with no neighbors within a mile as long as you don't mind the noise yourself, but they are not suitable for campgrounds where the adjacent sites are much closer. The inverter generators produce much cleaner power for sensitive electronics, too. So where you're going to use the generator needs to be a consideration in what you buy.

But I agree with your point about having more power than a typical 2000/2200 Watt generator offers, and being less taxing on the generator. A 2000/2200 (peak) Watt generator may run the AC but it won't have enough power to run much else while its powering the AC. So a paralleled-pair of the 2000/2200 Watt generators, or a single 3400 Watt generator would be much better than trying to get by with a single 2000/2200 Watt generator.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #26
PilotIndy

I have both a Champion 3800 watt Dual Fuel Generator and a Predator 3500 watt Inverter Generator. I paid $495 for the Champion at Lowe’s and $649 for the Predator at Harbor Freight. Both run my 15000 btu AC unit just fine, as well as, the associated electrical needs on my Keystone Hideout 26BH.

I would suggest you consider purchasing an Inverter Generator if you can. Just for the simple reason of NOISE level. Regular generators are loud and you want to be a good neighbor. Also, don’t underestimate your power needs. Sure, 2000/2200 watts might just be enough to run your AC, but the start up load may not always be the same. As things age and wear. The power needs may change.

The Champion has a noise rating of 68dba at 23 feet. Let me tell you, that’s loud! It’s not something you want sitting right outside your trailer. At the full length of my electrical cord, it was tolerable, but not a user friendly noise level to any neighbors.

The Predator has a 54dba. I can have this unit sitting 2 feet from the trailer and inside, it’s just a hum. Much more neighbor friendly and when you get 20 feet away, you can hardly hear it.

Again, both units are great, but the Inverter Generator is the way to go, especially, if you’re going to use it in a campsite, truck-stop, or rest area.
PilotIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #27
rinaldij

I run two Westinghouse iGenn2200's. In the summer I run them in parallel for the AC (a 13.5), spring and fall I run them alternately. Expanded fuel system lets them run all night in the summer.
rinaldij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #28
WDPatterson

Champion Power Equipment also makes an open-frame inverter, model number 100302. It puts out 3500 Watts continuous, and can be paralleled. That's going to be my next buy.

The model 100319 parallel kit is good for 50 amps, and has both a 30 amp and 50 amp RV connector.
As generators go, it's the only kit I've seen that actually allows for the output of actual 30 and 50 amps at the connector. Many generators only have a 20 amp breaker.

You can get a pair of these generators, with the parallel kit, for around $1150.

Or, you can just buy one generator, wait a little while, and then buy the other generator, and the parallel kit. It's an easy way to get power immediately, and have affordability, as well.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #29
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
WDPatterson, both of the generators you noted in your post look to be open-frame contractor-style generators, not quiet inverter generators. The much louder open-frame models are fine for at home if you're not in an urban subdivision or when boondocking with no neighbors within a mile as long as you don't mind the noise yourself, but they are not suitable for campgrounds where the adjacent sites are much closer. The inverter generators produce much cleaner power for sensitive electronics, too. So where you're going to use the generator needs to be a consideration in what you buy.

But I agree with your point about having more power than a typical 2000/2200 Watt generator offers, and being less taxing on the generator. A 2000/2200 (peak) Watt generator may run the AC but it won't have enough power to run much else while its powering the AC. So a paralleled-pair of the 2000/2200 Watt generators, or a single 3400 Watt generator would be much better than trying to get by with a single 2000/2200 Watt generator.
Yes, these generators output about 68 DB. I keep them at the full length of the power cord, inside of a well-ventilated tent. I would not recommend using them in a campground where other people may be offended by your noise.

On the other hand, Champion is now manufacturing the model 100302, which is in fact, an open-frame dual hybrid (DH) inverter with surge protection. Actually, almost every generator is surge protected, since its power is limited to begin with. The only thing you're getting with an inverter is a cleaner power output for the sensitive Electronics you may be using.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #30
WDPatterson

If you're interested, the 100302 specifications are found here:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...rame-inverter/
Old 08-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

William,

Before you make up your mind about the Champion open face inverter generator, look carefully at the noise output. It's within a couple dB of the same noise as the open frame "non inverter" 4000/3500 watt model.

The 2000 inverter noise level is 52/53 dB
The 3000 inverter noise level is 58 dB
The 3500 "open frame inverter" noise level is 64 dB
The 3500 "open frame contractor" noise level is 68dB.

The advantage of the "open frame inverter" is improved (cleaner) electrical output and the noise reduction comes from the variable speed associated with inverter technology. The drawback is that it's as loud at full output as the older "contractor series generators because there's no "sound deadening shroud" around the noise producing parts.

Essentially, using an open frame inverter generator in a campground is about the same "nuisance noise" as using an open frame contractor generator... Your neighbors won't be happy, but your cell phone charger will.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #32
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
William,

Before you make up your mind about the Champion open face inverter generator, look carefully at the noise output. It's within a couple dB of the same noise as the open frame "non inverter" 4000/3500 watt model.

The 2000 inverter noise level is 52/53 dB
The 3000 inverter noise level is 58 dB
The 3500 "open frame inverter" noise level is 64 dB
The 3500 "open frame contractor" noise level is 68dB.

The advantage of the "open frame inverter" is improved (cleaner) electrical output and the noise reduction comes from the variable speed associated with inverter technology. The drawback is that it's as loud at full output as the older "contractor series generators because there's no "sound deadening shroud" around the noise producing parts.

Essentially, using an open frame inverter generator in a campground is about the same "nuisance noise" as using an open frame contractor generator... Your neighbors won't be happy, but your cell phone charger will.....
Noise measurement in db's doubles with each number. So, at 64db, it's quite a bit quieter than at 68. You can talk over it.
Furthermore, it has a Throttle Down feature much like other closed inverters, and it runs cooler. It also runs for up to 17 hours on a tank.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #33
WDPatterson

For those are who are curious about sound measurement, here's some interesting information:

https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html
Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
For those are who are curious about sound measurement, here's some interesting information:

https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html
I'm just giving you some personal experience that I've had with camping in a campground with another camper who ran an open face Champion generator 10-12 hours a day. EVERYONE in the campground was grumpy and tired of that noise and we were all thankful when he left on Sunday morning.

You comment that there's a big difference in noise reduction between 64 and 68 dB. That same goes for between 58 and 64 dB....... (closed vs open inverter generator.

Buy what you want, but if it's "open face" (inverter or not) you're not going to be "a well liked camper" among the other people who are trying to escape the noise of the city when they go camping......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #35
SkiSmuggs

Micro-Air makes the Easy Start and it substantially reduces the start up requirements for the AC. Micro-Air also sells a Westinghouse 2500 watt genny that runs well with the Easy Start. That would give you some spare power and costs a lot less than Hondas. You'll only need one
Old 08-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #36
DucBill

Plocklin fyi contrary to some users here I have MicroAire softstarts on my '14 Fuzion 375 near 2yrs usage no problems, they allow me to use 30amp service when 50 is not available, I have solar to keep batterys charged so turn off converter, put fridge and water heater on propane and keep unit cool in 100+ deg weather no problem. My genset is 5500 so can't comment on gensets your discussing but YT channel Long Long Honeymoon has done lots of videos testing various smaller size portable gensets in real life usage, probably good source of info for your needs. YMMV Happy Camping.
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #37
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm just giving you some personal experience that I've had with camping in a campground with another camper who ran an open face Champion generator 10-12 hours a day. EVERYONE in the campground was grumpy and tired of that noise and we were all thankful when he left on Sunday morning.

You comment that there's a big difference in noise reduction between 64 and 68 dB. That same goes for between 58 and 64 dB....... (closed vs open inverter generator.

Buy what you want, but if it's "open face" (inverter or not) you're not going to be "a well liked camper" among the other people who are trying to escape the noise of the city when they go camping......
I don't use my generator is in a campground. They're on my property. And I do agree with you that some people would not appreciate the noise if they were close by. That said, I prefer to camp at places that have Shore power, and I don't use my generator when traveling.

Nevertheless, if you use a small generator to power a 15000 BTU air conditioner and all the accoutrements are that are within your system, you're going to tax your generator to death. It doesn't matter whether it's an inverter, or otherwise, it matters how much wattage output that generator can produce. That's based on the size of the engine, and a larger engine makes noise.

Honda inverters, along with some other brands are some pretty good choices. However, you will wear them out prematurely trying to power all that equipment, as they are not up to the task of driving it all.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #38
Jmill8

Tried with Honeywell 2KW, didn't work overloaded generator. Bought Campion dual fuel but haven't tried to date.
Jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #39
PaulRod

RV Daydream on YouTube very recently tried a bunch of inverter generators. He ran them single and in parallel. Also he did an extended run on a Honda. He also installed Easy-Start. My setup having gone from a Cedar Creek with an Onan to a Georgetown with a Generac to my current situation a 19 Cougar 29BHS TT with a 2000w and a 2200w Honda in parallel in a tool box on the carrier on the back. I've got the Hondas down to a science. Tool box has ventilation and cooling fans and runs fairly quiet. I use it mostly at Nascar races where most people still have open frames. (as they die they are buying inverters) My personal favorite was the Onan in the 5'er. The Generac didn't miss a beat but it was loud and hot.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #40
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRod View Post
RV Daydream on YouTube very recently tried a bunch of inverter generators. He ran them single and in parallel. Also he did an extended run on a Honda. He also installed Easy-Start. My setup having gone from a Cedar Creek with an Onan to a Georgetown with a Generac to my current situation a 19 Cougar 29BHS TT with a 2000w and a 2200w Honda in parallel in a tool box on the carrier on the back. I've got the Hondas down to a science. Tool box has ventilation and cooling fans and runs fairly quiet. I use it mostly at Nascar races where most people still have open frames. (as they die they are buying inverters) My personal favorite was the Onan in the 5'er. The Generac didn't miss a beat but it was loud and hot.
Two of the 2200 watt generators, in parallel, would be satisfactory, with 4400 w available. Assuming that that's 2,200 pequots, then you would probably have 1800 watts continuous??

In parallel, that would give you 3600 Watts. That would be satisfactory, as roughly 3400 to 3500 watts is necessary to keep from over-taxing.

I agree, the inverters are much quieter, and with a fan pushing air through a box, you can quiet them down even further.

For those who don't have noise as an issue, having it open frame generator or inverter gives you a little more Cooling with a little more noise.

I'm completely off-grid, sitting out on several acres, and don't have that issue.

Tags
generator, inverter