Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #21
LHaven

I have the Flojet, and I see the filter item. For under $15, it's crazy not to have one. I'm going to dig around to see if I can hog out a 7x3 clear space to add this, given all the leveler wiring in the same little box. I predict that keeping the filter clean is going to be a constant exercise in spaghetti wrangling.

I've emptied the fresh, given it a few shots of "real-time rinse," refilled, and emptied it again, through a black nylon stocking. I'm seeing only negligible amounts of any particulates at all.

(This whole dance reminds me of my first new car, a 1973 Audi. I was very careful what I put into it, only to discover when the carb couldn't be kept operational that the goons in Germany apparently fueled it with a weak solution of hot patch asphalt before putting it on board the boat.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5938.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	23077  
Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

looking at the photo you posted, I'd guess that you can install the "small square FloJet strainer" by simply unlocking the clip on the lower part of your photo, sliding the strainer in place and then clipping the supply hose back onto the strainer body. Here's the link for the strainer at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...gateway&sr=8-3

For $9.90, hard to beat and it should fit without having to move your pump.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #23
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Not been mentioned but it could be kinked supply hoses.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #24
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Not been mentioned but it could be kinked supply hoses.
I'd hate to think that every hose in my rig was kinked except for the bathroom sink hot water.

I have to find my faucet wrench, remove the bathroom sink faucet, and go spelunking.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
LHaven

Took the bathroom faucet off with my brandy-new HF sink wrench. Instead of a metal mesh strainer, the fixture had a plastic cup with side slits. The hot water side was pristine; the cold water side was gunked up plenty.

The blockage comes out like papier mache, but dries quickly to hard granules and pebbles -- I wish I knew what it was. I also wish I knew why the hot water feed was pristine -- if I have to go fishing inside the water heater to clean another filter screen, I'm going to be extremely unhappy.

Now I have to do the shower and kitchen sink fixtures.

I am definitely going to install that add-on pump screen. But my measurements indicate that I will probably end up with a hose fitting pressed against a "sounding board" on DW's side of the bed, and no room to slide the pump to avoid it other than to relocate the entire thing.

QC, QC, wherefore art thou QC?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5975.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	23276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5976.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	23277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5977.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	23278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5978.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	23279  
Old 08-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #26
LHaven

The restricted flow in the shower seems to be due to... an actual flow restrictor.

Can I task Mr. Makita to "improve" this aperture without any unintended consequences?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5984.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	23281  
Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Look at the shower head first, I just replaced a faucet that had that same design and it flowed good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #28
LHaven

Aargh. I see elsewhere that this is likely to be just the public face of an anti-siphon valve, not a flow restrictor at all, and screwing with it may well cause problems. So I guess I won't.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #29
LHaven

Well, I wish I knew what was going on.

We had this toilet flowing 100% when we left recently. Hook up the trailer for a trip, run at 300 miles in a day, set up at the destination, and the toilet is absolutely stopped up, first use. Yet again, there is crud in the intake screen. At no time was it running off the fresh storage tank. In fact, it wasn't even running.

Again, down on the floor to clean out the intake valve by feel with Q-tips (I'm getting really good at this) and blowing the line out through my extension hose into the shower to flush whatever is waiting to plug it next time, and the toilet runs gangbusters.

Not only can't I figure out what this obstructing material is (It's like a granular white sand that muds up) , I can't figure out where it's coming from or where it might be deposited in my plumbing.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Could it be the supply hose you're using from the campground faucet to the city water inlet? Those "white hoses with the blue line" do disintegrate over time, especially if you've poured bleach through them to sanitize the hose or to get Clorox into the trailer system.... Just a WAG, so may not even be a factor, but..... Let us know what you eventually figure out !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #31
LHaven

That's a good thought. This hose has never been used with bleach, and is relatively new out-of-the-box, but it was shelved in the box for some years in the garage. There is a pinch point at one end where it likes to fold when stored, and it's not inconceivable that the wall could be disintegrating in that area, though I don't understand why the debris would be crystalline. Next chance I get, I will blow the hose out through a black nylon stocking and see if anything interesting shows up.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #32
travelin texans

Put one of the cheap blue filters on the RV end of the hose.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #33
Lee

Hi,

As I stated in post 6 of this thread,... I regularly have the same problem you have. Only difference I can see between how you use your RV and me is that I only dry-camp,... using the FWT as my water source. I have added a filter onto the supply line between the FWT and the pump,.... and still get the sediment at the toilet!!!!,.... so I know it's not coming from the FWT.

In desperation I installed another filter into the supply line to the toilet valve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a shut-off valve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes un-clogging much easier and quicker.

I know it seems impossible but,.... as I stated before the material that stops up the valve looks EXACTLY like what I clean out of the hot water tank when I flush it during an anode change. Exactly the same as your pictures. Question of the day is,... how could the hot water (with sediment) get into the cold water supply line to the toilet?????? BTW: My HWT and toilet are only 3 ft apart location wise.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #34
KSH

The fresh water low point drain on my trailer didn't drain with a full tank of water. Poked a long piece of wire in the hole and all kinds of plastic stuff came out. Probably from when they cut the openings with a holesaw.Could be junk like that in your tank as well.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #35
LHaven

Thanks for the pointer to the filter. I would have to add a lot of extra pex to fit that in, and unfortunately I'd have to do similar to the two sinks that suffer the same problem, and possibly the shower.

I'm wondering if perhaps the sediment you found in your hot water filter is the same as the sediment in your cold water line, and it just settles to the bottom of the hot water tank and goes no further because of the outflow tubing being at the top end of the tank; whereas the sediment in the cold water branch, having nowhere to settle out, gets delivered to the fixtures. When I disassembled my bathroom sink faucet, the hot side was pristine, while the cold side was almost completely clogged. I probably ought to check inside my hot water tank when this trip is over.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #36
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
The fresh water low point drain on my trailer didn't drain with a full tank of water. Poked a long piece of wire in the hole and all kinds of plastic stuff came out. Probably from when they cut the openings with a holesaw.Could be junk like that in your tank as well.

I've run two complete freshwater tank flushes through its drain with no evidence of foreign matter at all, but I haven't tried draining the low point drain for the plumbing system. I'm a little confused by what you wrote because I didn't think the low point drain would drain the freshwater tank, given that there is a separate drain for that. But given that I'm pretty confident that the foreign matter is not coming from the freshwater tank, the low point drain would definitely be something to play with.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Thanks for the pointer to the filter. I would have to add a lot of extra pex to fit that in, and unfortunately I'd have to do similar to the two sinks that suffer the same problem, and possibly the shower.

I'm wondering if perhaps the sediment you found in your hot water filter is the same as the sediment in your cold water line, and it just settles to the bottom of the hot water tank and goes no further because of the outflow tubing being at the top end of the tank; whereas the sediment in the cold water branch, having nowhere to settle out, gets delivered to the fixtures. When I disassembled my bathroom sink faucet, the hot side was pristine, while the cold side was almost completely clogged. I probably ought to check inside my hot water tank when this trip is over.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-400...oaAunvEALw_wcB
No pex or plumbing required, just put on the RV end of your hose from there it'll filter ALL incoming water, at least it will eliminate the hose as the culprit.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #38
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-400...oaAunvEALw_wcB
No pex or plumbing required, just put on the RV end of your hose from there it'll filter ALL incoming water.

I'm planning to pick up one of those as soon as I cross paths with an appropriate supply house on this trip. That will solve the problem if it's coming in from my hose. If the sediment is coming from some factory deposit already in my trailer's plumbing system, then I'm gonna have to do something else.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #39
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I've run two complete freshwater tank flushes through its drain with no evidence of foreign matter at all, but I haven't tried draining the low point drain for the plumbing system. I'm a little confused by what you wrote because I didn't think the low point drain would drain the freshwater tank, given that there is a separate drain for that. But given that I'm pretty confident that the foreign matter is not coming from the freshwater tank, the low point drain would definitely be something to play with.
I was referring to the fresh water tank drain.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #40
Lee

A picture of the valve and filter I installed. I had to remove Pex pipe to install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filter install.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	23578  

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet