Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
ingram

2019 Cougar 25res

The wife and I have been thinking of upgrading our Passport 199ml. New truck...woohoo. Anyway, a lot of the campgrounds we go to are 30 amp only. Is the 25res 50 amp only or does it depend on it having more than one AC unit? Some appear to have only one unit but claim it's wired for 2. Is one sufficient? I would like to pull this thing down to the gulf in August. I like it cool for sleeping.
ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You pose several questions, some of which depend on how you address other parts of your questions....

Yes, you can plug a 50 amp trailer into a 30 amp power source. You'll need a 50/30 amp "dogbone" adapter to make the connection. If you do, you'll only have 30 amps available. What that means is that even if you have two air conditioners, chances are you could only operate one of them if you're on a 30 amp source. You'd probably need a 50 amp source to operate both of your air conditioners. Typically, two air conditioners won't work on 30 amps, but you may "get by with doing it" depending on what else is operating in the trailer and the outside temperature, voltage drop in the park system, how many other campers are using power, etc. In other words, there's a lot more to available power than just "it's a 30 amp source".....

That said, it's usually cool enough "when sleeping" to only need one air conditioner. So, you should be able to "get by" with 30 amps and still "sleep cool".... Even if you can't operate both air conditioners, chances are one will be in the bedroom and one in the main living area. So it's possible to "work around" the comfort issue by closing off the bedroom during the day and operating the main area A/C. Then, even if it doesn't cool down by bedtime, turn the main A/C off and turn on the bedroom A/C, close the door and you should have a "refrigerator" in short order......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know if the 25res is 30 or 50A. I do know that we were recently looking at RVs and some of them in that size range had the option of 30 or 50A service depending, I imagine, on the 2nd AC. If you go to the gulf coast I would strongly urge you to get 2 ACs. That's a 30' trailer you will be trying to cool with one AC.

I would also look for 50A sites just to make sure you would be comfortable. If not, the 30A would probably work rotating the ACs depending on where you were in the trailer. Having both would give you the option of being as cool as you want (hopefully), or, if you have to use the 30A, just use a 50/30 dogbone and get by with what you have. You would then have the option of using 50A sites wherever you went to take advantage of the 2 ACs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
ingram

Thank you both. I guess I wouldn't have to run them both at the same time would I? That never occurred to me. Time to spend some money.
ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Unless you have some sort of dual zone thermostat that controls them both you should be able to operate them independently which will give you a lot of versatility when hooked to 30A.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
BAK

You will be fine with 30amps as long as you do not add a second AC.

However, I have a 2018 Half Ton 25RES and while the 15K AC in the living room keeps it comfortable.. there is only on vent in the bedroom and in mid/high 90 degree temps (typical Texas summer) the bedroom was at least 10-12 degrees warmer (74-76 living/85-88 bedroom temp) so we had to install a second AC. Unfortunately the only time the bedroom was at a comfortable temp (we like it cool as well) was around 10-11PM.

Now it cools to 68-70 easily in the bedroom with a 13.5K Dometic Penquin II while the living room stays around 72-74 during the heat of the day. Install was cheap since everything is prewired but it does sit at an odd angle on the roof due to the location being where the roof starts its downward slope. We went without the external thermostat (it's all built in to the air handler) due to the limited clearance between the foot of the bed and the wall.

We now try and book 50 amp sites, so we haven't yet had to run one or the other due to power constraints.

BAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar