Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
1trapper

Dometic touch thermostat

wont stay on f setting cant get to f at all now, has gone to 90 degrees on its own a few times. any one have the same problem. I hate the idea of 2 trips of 60 miles to the dealer when there is a local licanced repair facility blocks away
1trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trapper View Post
wont stay on f setting cant get to f at all now, has gone to 90 degrees on its own a few times. any one have the same problem. I hate the idea of 2 trips of 60 miles to the dealer when there is a local licanced repair facility blocks away
Call the close facility and see if they can/will do warranty work. You don't know without asking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
1trapper

I have talked to them keystone or dometic could alow it
Old 12-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
1trapper

I wonder if others have had a similar problem
Old 12-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There's "precious little information" in your post for anyone to offer any advice or guidance. Is your trailer still in the warranty? After that one year, some components are covered by a longer manufacturer's warranty. Some types of thermostats are covered longer than others. All of that said, if you're covered by the Keystone one year warranty, sometimes they will authorize an independent repair service and process the claim, or you can locate a repair center that is authorized by the thermostat manufacturer and he can file the claim for the thermostat warranty.

Where you fall into "peril" is if the problem is not with the thermostat, but possibly with the trailer wiring, air conditioner control box or furnace. In that case, you may be "on the hook for payment" for the repairs since it's not a "thermostat failure"....

So, depending on your warranty status, it may be covered, it may not. Something else to consider: If you've got to take time off from work, tow the trailer to the dealer, leave it, take more time off from work to go pick it up, tow it back home (or to storage), it may cost you more to have the dealer do the "warranty repair" than it would cost to just buy a replacement thermostat and "hang it on the wall" yourself..... Without knowing more about the specifics, it's a "wide open possibility" as to what might be the best, fastest or cheapest way to proceed.

ADDED: As for "thermostat reliability" they are "manmade components" and do fail, but for the most part, the digital thermostats seem to be very reliable and seldom have problems. Most of the problems tend to be loose wiring connections, owner induced failure or physical damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Pete86047

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trapper View Post
I wonder if others have had a similar problem
I have the exact same issues. Setting runs wild. Goes into celcius etc. I also seem to have an issue with the set temp and what it does being far apart. Sometimes when its 72 inside I have to set it to 79 to get ac to shut off. I have found this thermostat is very erratic but am not convinced getting another of the same model will help.
Pete86047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Maybe someone has had these problems but I've never had a problem with an RV thermostat, and, in fact, none with a S&B thermostat. I have replaced them to upgrade or other reasons but not because they ran amok.

From the OP post I'm still confused about what is happening.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

The “touch” thermostats made by Dometic can do strange things on their own. Take the face off and gently pull the foam out a bit. Seems to settle them down.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:35 AM   #9
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The “touch” thermostats made by Dometic can do strange things on their own. Take the face off and gently pull the foam out a bit. Seems to settle them down.
I have the same problem. I have three of the Dometic Capacitive Touch thermostats. The one in the garage has this issue and sometimes the one in the bedroom has this issue. It is like there is a button that is stuck, or sometimes two buttons. I believe the problem is associated with the cover plate. If I remove the cover plate (Plastic cover with the window and buttons) and expose the terminals I can touch them and it works great, no issues.

Next time I am at the camper I will try your suggestion Chuck. Thank you.
Attached Images

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:53 AM   #10
billsr

I have the same thermostat in my 22RBPR Bullet, and mine has only one fan speed (I think it is High), even though the thermostat shows Auto, High, and Low for the fan.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsr View Post
I have the same thermostat in my 22RBPR Bullet, and mine has only one fan speed (I think it is High), even though the thermostat shows Auto, High, and Low for the fan.
The furnace fan is 12 VDC and is a one speed fan. The air conditioner fan is 120VAC and is a two speed fan. There is, on most air conditioners, an audible difference that is noticeable when the fan switches speed.

Are you saying that your air conditioner only runs on one speed or that your furnace only runs on one speed?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Leatherman

I don't think that with the AC you can select the speed. With mine I can only select "AUTO" as the speed. The HIGH, MED and LOW are with the furnace only if I recall correctly.
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
I don't think that with the AC you can select the speed. With mine I can only select "AUTO" as the speed. The HIGH, MED and LOW are with the furnace only if I recall correctly.
On mine it's just the opposite. The furnace is one speed and you can select automatic, high or low on the air conditioner fan. I haven't seen a multispeed furnace fan in an RV in the last 25 years.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
I have the same problem. I have three of the Dometic Capacitive Touch thermostats. The one in the garage has this issue and sometimes the one in the bedroom has this issue. It is like there is a button that is stuck, or sometimes two buttons. I believe the problem is associated with the cover plate. If I remove the cover plate (Plastic cover with the window and buttons) and expose the terminals I can touch them and it works great, no issues.

Next time I am at the camper I will try your suggestion Chuck. Thank you.
Tried this yesterday and it seems to have corrected the issue. Thanks again chuckster57 for the tip!

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #15
JSquared

I read on here last week to change from Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa, press both up & down arrows at the same time. You inadvertently did that to change it. That’s what happened on my bullet when it started displaying Celsius “on its own”.

2016 Bullet 287QBS
2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Duramax
JSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #16
ChuckS

dometic touch thermostat

I’d do a reset procedure on the Dometic thermostat and let it refind the zones, etc. mine did weird things after a power bump ... going into Celsius mode, weird temp settings, etc and this took care of the issue.

To do a system reset:
• •
• •
Make sure the CCC 2 thermostat is in the OFF mode.
Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display “IniT” and all available zones.
Release the MODE and ZONE buttons.
Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 AM   #17
White Water

Dometic Thermostat

Mine too. one will run and never shut off. The other will eventually shut off but will not come back on. I have to adjust the thermostat temp to one extreme or the other to shut it off or turn it on
White Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #18
Stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Water View Post
Mine too. one will run and never shut off. The other will eventually shut off but will not come back on. I have to adjust the thermostat temp to one extreme or the other to shut it off or turn it on
I’m having the EXACT same issue! I hope you see this. Did you ever resolve the issue? I’ve heard it could be a few different things. I’m considering buying two new thermostats and replacing the old ones to see if that is the problem.
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic