Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
mjmill

Keystone rearview camera install

Just finished installing a rearview camera on my Keystone Hideout. It was almost as simple as manufacturer stated....I removed the center running light and spliced the camera into existing wire connection. I was lucky to find a small wooden block near the original wiring hole. I drilled a hole to install a #10 screw for one mount into the wood and drilled a larger hole in RV shell to install an anchor for opposite side of camera bracket. Applied a couple pieces of rope caulk to back of mounting bracket to help adhere bracket to RV and followed up with some clear caulk to keep water out. "Dry run" was successful with monitor! Look forward to getting on the road and really trying this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone rearview camera.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	17421  
mjmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Northofu1

Nice work

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
louielouieohoh

Are you going to use a phone or ipad for a monitor? And ... how long is your RV... and what model/manufacturer did you select?
louielouieohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
mjmill

I purchased a 7" monitor with the camera. I have a 21' bumper pull. Tadibrothers manufactures unit. SKU90113
mjmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

FOr those interested in a trouble free rear view camera, I have had way too much experience. Bought a camera/7" monitor on eBay that looked pretty much like the one pictured. It worked fine and lasted as long as I owned the trailer with quite a few miles on the road. Bought another trailer and bought the same (cheap) eBay set up and it was DOA. They eventually sent another (from China) and it was DOA. Didn't follow up as it was a huge time waster to try and communicate with the non-English speaking eBay seller. For my current 5ver (Keystone Cougar), I bought yet another as I remembered how nicely the first worked. Well, this one lasted about 2 weeks; worked fine on install and then puked to death as I pulled around our drive to go camping.

My advice is to spend a few bucks and buy from a known manufacturer with a decent rep. Cheap don't always save you money.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Northofu1

https://www.costco.ca/Rear-View---Ba....10367294.html
I bought this one from Costco. I had one delivered from Amazon opened package, sealed package and sent back.
I saw too many negative reviews online about the wifi / wireless cameras. So I decided
on this one. It took two hours to install like directions said, set it up. I am extremely happy with it. It is commercial grade. Costco has an awesome return policy so I felt good about spending a few dollars more.
EDIT: It supports two more cameras.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought the same system from Rear View Safety that Northofu1 bought from Costco. https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backu...5th-wheel.html

It has been problem free for 7 years now. Initially it was installed on our Springdale. When the tree fell on that trailer, we bought the current Cougar and I transferred the RVS system to this trailer. Excellent video and with 7 years of use, it still works just like it did when new.

At RVS it's $299 and they offer a 10% military/veteran discount.

With all the problems, "finicky wireless systems" seem to have, from the standpoint of reliability while towing, I'd suggest considering a wired system.

With 7 years of reliable service and never a problem with reception, power, interrupted service or product failure, if I were to find myself in a situation where I had to replace this system, I wouldn't even consider anything but the one that's worked so well for me. YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
buvens

We have the same RVS camera and it works fine.
I never had much luck with wireless cameras in my truck or motor home.
Got a short trailer now and had to add a repeater for my TPMS system to work to our truck.
But a lot of people use wireless and I imagine you get what you are willing to pay for.

Good Luck
Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #9
SteveC7010

Keystone rearview camera install

My truck did not have a camera system when I got it so I bought a similar RVS package as mentioned above less the RV cable. It comes a 3 port multiplexer allowing up to 3 cameras to be connected at at the same although you can only view 1 at a time.

I picked up a second camera and a long cable for the Cougar. The truck end of the cable is coiled and stored with 7 pin pigtail in the pin box. I should hard wire the truck with the RV connector kit but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

This system doesn't require 12vdc for the camera from the trailer. It's powered by the multiplexer through the video cable.

The folks at RVS are very helpful, and they can supply adapters and gender changers for their cabling. That is not mentioned in their catalog or on their website, but they do have them. If you have an unusual install, give them a call. They probably have what you need.

FWIW, the wireless systems seem best suited for installs just on a car or truck. Today's longer TT's and fivers stretch current wireless offerings a bit too much for my tastes. And, as several have mentioned, finding and connecting to 12vdc at the rear of the trailer can be a challenge.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone