Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #41
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sway control hitches like Hensley and ProPride are an optional, personal choice, much like Anderson Ultimate hitches, sliding fifth wheel hitches, cushioned pinbox hitches, or gooseneck hitches. None of them are "mandatory" for safe RV'ing.
....Neither is upgrading to a higher quality tire but many do for the safety of their family and others on the road. It's not mandatory to upgrade tires but we all know the potential risk of the standard OEM product on the market.

Same as in the case of properly equipping a tow vehicle with a sway control device. You can rely on a 'run-of-the-mill', mass-produced hitch initially, only to realize that it's a relentless fight under sub-optimal driving conditions. This was the case in my situation when I, as a newbie RVer, "invested" a significant amount of my income in a mid-grade WDH that didn't live up to the claims of effective sway control. My trailer weights were on the mark too.

After a hair raising, dangerous trip with 30-40 MPH cross winds three months into my first RV season, I was never going to ever let that happen again. I spend countless hours researching every sway control hitch available to me. That's when I discovered the Hensley/Propride products.

Quote:
Hensley and ProPride hitches are an "upgrade" to help with sway. They are not necessary in all, or even in most situations. To suggest to a novice RV'er that "If you don't buy a Hensley you'll be sorry" is, frankly, unwarranted.
Absolutely wrong. An upgrade yes; "help" with sway, a definitive "NO". Both of these premium hitches completely "ELIMINATE" lateral sway...even when mated to a 1/2 ton platform vehicle. The design of both the Hensley Arrow and Propride makes it impossible for a forward moving truck/trailer combo to experience the side to side, fishtailing motion initiated by cross winds, passing semi's, or downgrades. Any lateral force on the trailer is applied over the length of the entire rig as the strut arms and cams prevent movement on the hitch ball. It's like no other sway control device on the market. And that's just it, it's not sway control.

If a member wants to promote the purchase and use of a premium sway elimination hitch to those who don't have much experience, I'm all for it. I wish I did more research prior to buying my Blue Ox Sway Pro. I wish I heard the voices of active users of a Hensley or Propride htich. But I didn't and have a lighter wallet because of it. Informed decisions include taking opinions from everyone, not just a specific segment. I will continue to promote my Hensley experience (even to a "Novice RVer") just like someone may continue to promote their Equil-i-zer or Anderson experiences. In the end, if a consumer has the funds and wants the safest hitch on the market, I see no problem with me providing them an honest opinion. YMMV.

And for the naysayers, my Hensley already saved my family's tushes on a Disney Trip we took 2 years ago. The link below details what happened. Worth every cent of the $1899 I paid for it.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...6&postcount=33
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #42
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
If you can afford it, get the best and be done with it.
My sentiments too.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #43
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingcircus View Post
Its not overkill, when you need it. Sounds like you have alot invested in you TV and TT. Why not put a little more money into a hitch like propride or hensley. Overkill, perhaps, but that day will come when you wish had overkill, or glad that you have overkill.
^^^^ Absolutely true; same thinking can be applied to the 3/4 ton vs 1 ton debate. This is why I own a Hensley.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
^^^^ Absolutely true; same thinking can be applied to the 3/4 ton vs 1 ton debate. This is why I own a Hensley.
And it is your CHOICE to own a Hensley. IT IS NOT A MANDATORY ACCESSORY FOR SAFE TOWING and IT IS NOT ESSENTIAL FOR ANY APPROPRIATELY MATCHED TOW VEHICLE/TRAVEL TRAILER.

Nice to have, not essential.

This part of the discussion, the need to buy a Hensley, (unrelated to the OP's question) reminds me of Walter and the guy with the Hurry Cane. He suggests that Walter should get out of the stone age (and buy something he doesn't need) as he rushes away (obviously without need for his Hurry Cane) to win the arm of the lady walking past their bench..... Hensley, like Hurry Cane, is an alternative, but unlike Hurry Cane, won't always get you the girl.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #45
rogeru

My dealer told me the Equalizer is the way to go, and after some research, found this to be true. Had them install it for me, and have been using it for four years now. The bars are fairly heavy....don't drop one on your toe like I did. OUCH!! (The bars are solid steel, and you couldn't bend one if you tried).
Old 06-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeru View Post
My dealer told me the Equalizer is the way to go, and after some research, found this to be true. Had them install it for me, and have been using it for four years now. The bars are fairly heavy....don't drop one on your toe like I did. OUCH!! (The bars are solid steel, and you couldn't bend one if you tried).

LOL! You are so right! I ate 4 cans of spinach and tried to put the "twist" on one....no luck. Maybe I watched too many Popeye cartoons back when
Old 06-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #47
busterbrown

Quote:
And it is your CHOICE to own a Hensley. IT IS NOT A MANDATORY ACCESSORY FOR SAFE TOWING and IT IS NOT ESSENTIAL FOR ANY APPROPRIATELY MATCHED TOW VEHICLE/TRAVEL TRAILER.
IT'S NOT MANDATORY OR ESSENTIAL BUT IT'S ONE OF THE SAFEST WDH'S THAT AN RV'ER CAN INVEST IN...ESPECIALLY IN AN ERA OF EVER INCREASINGLY CAPABLE 1/2 TON TOW VEHICLES. AND WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

Everyone has the right to their opinions, analogies, and viewpoints. That's why it's good practice to help broadcast real world experiences, even those that are not mandatory. It wasn't mandatory that I purchase and upgrade new trailer tires on a relatively brand new trailer. But I did. The OEMs could have made it through 3 seasons. But I like to play it extremely safe when pulling 7,000 lbs down an interstate. Same reason I invested in a Hensley. No, not mandatory, but it sure makes a difference in our travels. Again, YMMV.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Nice to have, not essential.

This part of the discussion, the need to buy a Hensley, (unrelated to the OP's question) reminds me of Walter and the guy with the Hurry Cane. He suggests that Walter should get out of the stone age (and buy something he doesn't need) as he rushes away (obviously without need for his Hurry Cane) to win the arm of the lady walking past their bench..... Hensley, like Hurry Cane, is an alternative, but unlike Hurry Cane, won't always get you the girl.....

I have to agree with John. The initial reference about the Propride/Hensley was one that implied doom and gloom....if you don't have one something bad is going to happen and you will wish you had bought one. That's not true for probably 90%, at least, of RV owners. And to say that to a novice tower worried about the new hitch he just bought, which is more than adequate, is a little fer fetched for me.

I know some folks, not many (2-3?), have them on the forum and love them. I'm sure they perform fantastically. Far more have an Equalizer or others and love them too. There is not carnage on the road because they aren't using a Propride/Hensley. That's all John is trying to say and the assertion that if you don't have one you're going to "pay" is, well, just not right.

One member has one that he swears by and that's great. It came about because the TV/RV were not matched. That was discussed on the forum at length. If he had had the TV he has now the issue would not have even come up....I suspect. Just saying that a new RV owner coming in, with a pretty small trailer to boot, doesn't have to have an over the top hitch that costs a gazillion dollars to keep him and his family safe. JMO YMMV
Old 06-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #49
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just saying that a new RV owner coming in, with a pretty small trailer to boot, doesn't have to have an over the top hitch that costs a gazillion dollars to keep him and his family safe. JMO YMMV
Pretty small trailers being pulled by a substantial TV isn't what the premium hitches are marketed to. I would agree that a properly setup midgrade WDH is all that's required. Personally, I would only recommend an Equil-i-zer as they perform very well.

The market segment that Hensley and Propride primarily cater to are those owners who pull with 1/2 ton vehicles and whose trailers are long (30+ feet). This is a sizable percentage of newbies getting their feet wet (like I did). Probably more appropriate to say would be "jumping in head first". I think these are the people that need to know what all their options are for a safe and friendly towing experience.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
I have a 20' 6,000 lb 18RS Outback trailer with a 2014 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L V8 Hemi 400+ HP & TQ to pull it with (it has many upgrades).
Quote:
I'd recommend spending a little more $$ on a higher end hitch like an Equalizer 4pt WDH.
Quote:
Pretty small trailers being pulled by a substantial TV isn't what the premium hitches are marketed to. I would agree that a properly setup midgrade WDH is all that's required. Personally, I would only recommend an Equil-i-zer as they perform very well. .
busterbrown, per your own posts in this thread, the OP doesn't need a Hensley/ProPride hitch and it isn't marketed for his type of towing. In fact you recommended he purchase an Equalizer 4pt WDH, which he has done.....

It's simply time to stop the Hensley/ProPride advertisements/testimonials in his thread. If you really feel that strongly about those hitches, please start your own thread to discuss the merits of/advantages of/need for such upgrades. Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Pretty small trailers being pulled by a substantial TV isn't what the premium hitches are marketed to. I would agree that a properly setup midgrade WDH is all that's required. Personally, I would only recommend an Equil-i-zer as they perform very well.

The market segment that Hensley and Propride primarily cater to are those owners who pull with 1/2 ton vehicles and whose trailers are long (30+ feet). This is a sizable percentage of newbies getting their feet wet (like I did). Probably more appropriate to say would be "jumping in head first". I think these are the people that need to know what all their options are for a safe and friendly towing experience.
What you are referring to are those that those that overload and then try to compensate. What the forum tries to do is to stop that "jumping in head first" and I think we do a pretty good job of it if given the chance. The initial post by the poster insisting on the Propride/Hensley was to a person hauling a 6k trailer - with an appropriate vehicle - unwarranted.

New owners/towers can be terrified of what they're getting in to. Those that have been towing know those things are pretty simple given the dynamics of the given situation. For anyone to try to scare someone, trying, and doing the right thing is a little over the top to me.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #52
KSH

I just offered my opinion and experience. Not trying to scare anyone into anything. Not sure why you guys are so against it just because it's different or unwarranted or overkill in your opinion. Regardless, i think we've had enough back and forth on it. It's an option that I'm glad i learned about. We can all decide for ourselves what we think is best. End of my comment. No need to respond if it's more of the same.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP asked a question about which hitch he should consider. Recommendations were made and he chose the Equalizer 4 point hitch. He reported that it was delivered last week and will soon be installed and adjusted.

Since the thread has turned into an "after purchase recommendation" for Hensley hitches, I'm closing the thread. It's served the OP's purpose and he has made his hitch choice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread

Tags
hitch