Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #21
ChuckS

All the data is nice and an excellent read. However... with the daily post and pics seen with blowouts why run a questionable brand tire like Trailer King at all. It’s just like many years ago with Firestone 500 blowouts. Poor tire design for intended purpose.

I’m fine with Chinese tires. It’s what I run... but mine are 14 ply G rated RST tires and I’m confident they will stand up to the load and heat.

Under inflated, overloaded, over sped , old age , exposure to UV are all killers on RV tires. A combination of a few of these issues is just a mixture for tire failure.

And I would not ever buy or recommend TK RV tires for any use.

Another recent pic of a trailer King tire failure. Oh sure they got lots of tread and looked great... until
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52833754-50CF-46CE-8718-85E167DF7CF0.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	17255  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #22
notanlines

Chuck, I believe you said it all!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
drtrott56

Same experience. Two weeks ago we had one TK shred and three others showed signs of separating including the spare I had to put on on the highway. Minor damage done but I feel we were lucky. I, of course, replaced all of them. Of the five I bought new two years ago, only one was still intact (not separated).
drtrott56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #24
gearhead

Man Chuck why do you have to remind me about Firestones. LOL
We had them on a new 1974 Cutlass Salon. Took off to New Orleans one weekend. Had a blowout on the I-10 Atachafalaya River bridge over the swamp in Louisiana. Finally got to a pull out and changed to the spare. Had nothing but trouble with them for months. Had a family friend that had a Firestone store and he upgraded us to something else. I'm convinced that tire is what broke Firestone. They almost deserved it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #25
CWtheMan

Most people that suffer RV trailer tire failures also harbor ill feelings about the brand that failed.

I'm not offering any recommendations here. However, Trailer King does get on a lot of top ten lists.

Tire failures on RV trailers are often a product of misuse. All trailer tires degrade rapidly when constantly being used at or near their load limit. Were yours providing 10% or more of load capacity reserves when they failed? The only way to know for sure is to have a weight slip from some scales that verifies what the tires are actually carrying.

This is a sort of model specific forum (Keystone). Keystone has always been very skimpish with their trailer tire fitments. Sometimes providing tires that have a maximum load capacity equal to the maximum load the GAWR axles are rated for.

Here is a picture of a vehicle certification label/tire placard I took at a RV show a few years ago. It shows just how skimpish the tires were for that trailer's fitment. Max load 3520# tires on a 7000# certified GAWR. ( http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27420 ).

Here is a Tire King reference listing all their Radial ST tires. All have the "M" speed letter. All 15" LRE and above have Nylon overlays. And, they have added a LRF to the ST235/80R16 size designation that has a load capacity of 3860# @ 100 PSI. They also have a very generous 5 year warranty period.

http://trailerkingtires.com/tires/La...g-product-line

The China tire manufacturers are very fast in meeting new tire industry demands. Take a virtual tour of one of the larger, well established ones. You might be quite impressed with their equipment and technology.

Again, I'm not supportin/recommending anything here. I'm just sort of saying, be open minded about your tire failures. All of them have a cause and those causes are seldom described when members here report failures.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:11 AM   #26
Wxman

Curious, the trailerking link above is to a page with specs on TK RST Value Radials. The tires that came on my 2018 trailer are TK II Value Radials. It looks to me like the TK II radials are a new generation of the RST tires. Has anyone noted any difference on failures? Have no idea when the apparent change from the RST to II tires took place (if that is indeed what has happened).
I am in my first year of towing with the TK II tires that were only a couple of months old when the trailer was manufactured in 10/17. One thing I liked about the 19RB was it seemed to have 'heavy' axles and tires for a smaller trailer. I am running with a little better than 40% cushion on the tire weight rating (4 D rated tires on a 6500lb GVWR trailer that I tow at just under 6000lbs). I have a TPMS installed on the trailer for some extra security and with all that haven't felt too uncomfortable staying with the TK tires for the first year or two.
Still curious if there has been any noted difference in the updated TK II tires with regards to failures.
Thanks
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #27
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
Curious, the trailerking link above is to a page with specs on TK RST Value Radials. The tires that came on my 2018 trailer are TK II Value Radials. It looks to me like the TK II radials are a new generation of the RST tires. Has anyone noted any difference on failures? Have no idea when the apparent change from the RST to II tires took place (if that is indeed what has happened).
I am in my first year of towing with the TK II tires that were only a couple of months old when the trailer was manufactured in 10/17. One thing I liked about the 19RB was it seemed to have 'heavy' axles and tires for a smaller trailer. I am running with a little better than 40% cushion on the tire weight rating (4 D rated tires on a 6500lb GVWR trailer that I tow at just under 6000lbs). I have a TPMS installed on the trailer for some extra security and with all that haven't felt too uncomfortable staying with the TK tires for the first year or two.
Still curious if there has been any noted difference in the updated TK II tires with regards to failures.
Thanks
The China ST tire manufacturers are always tweeking their designs as the industry evolves. So do those that are engineered in the USA such as Carlisle/Goodyear.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #28
NJdudette

I feel your pain. I had a blow out with the same tires and caused $1,500 worth of damage. I too always check the tire pressure before heading out. Afterwards I took a close look at the tires and they had strange wear marks and dimples. I swapped them all out for Carlisle's. Good luck to you!

2017 Ford F350 Lariat
2016 Cougar 288RLS
NJdudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #29
chunker

To the OP, did you have any indications from you TPMS prior to the blowout? Did you get a low pressure alarm. What about a high temperature alarm? Did the TPMS give you any warning? Or did you neglect to use a TPMS?
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

The OP hasn't logged on since 8/20/2018.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:05 PM   #31
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The OP hasn't logged on since 8/20/2018.
Sorry didn't check that but the comment could apply to anyone complaining about a blowout. Yes I know tires can and do go suddenly cause I had one on my 11 Raptor. And yes I had checked everything before the trip and NO I didn't have a TPMS. I do now though.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

No need to apologize. Just didn't want you waiting for a reply.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote