Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Question Recalled RV's on Dealers' Lots

If you look through the threads in this section, you'll find a number of recalls that have been issued for a variety of faults including transfer switches, bumpers, stoves, electric awnings, front cap roof seals, to name a few.

If I understand the process correctly, if you have an RV that is effected by a recall, you will get a letter and/or phone call from the dealership or manufacturer (Keystone) advising you of the problem.

But what if you buy a "new" unit off the lot that has been sitting there for a year or two AFTER the recall has been issued? Will the dealer tell you BEFORE you buy it that there has been a recall issued and then proceed to fix it? Is it possible that you could drive off the lot with an RV that has been recalled without knowing it? Does the dealership, once it has received notice of a recall, bring all of the affected RV's into the repair shop and fix the problem?

I am wondering what happens to all of those units sitting unsold on dealers' lots that have had a recall issued for them. Anyone?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Roller4Tan

If I was in the market for one, I'd tell the salesperson or dealer that I want to see them look up any recalls on the unit I was interested in, right then and there in front of me. Not that they would lie or anything like that.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

...or they can 'sell' it to another local or near-by dealer (wink-wink),
and sell it to you used ... but then as you are not the 'first owner',
and you find yourself with a 'used' RV ... so sorry, no warrenty .....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Recalls do not come under warranty. They are just that, a recall. If there is a recall on a three year old item it must be repaired. When I purchased my '07 I inspected it very closely. When we picked it up it had different tires on it and I was told there was a recall on the original tires. After two or three years there was a recall on the Dometic fridge ... it was repaired and the dealer was payed by Dometic for the service. I think many of the '06 - '08 models were affected. It is the same with cars ... recalls can be done long after warranties have run out. Dealers get paid to repair or replace recalled items so it is to their advantage to do the work even on stock in their lot.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
floatflyer

When I bought my new Vantage a year ago I took delivery and a recall had been issued three months earlier but not fixed by the dealer. After buying I started researching and found it. The dealer fixed it but you can't rely on a dealer to either tell you or fix things before deliver. At least in my case.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote